Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] Vernon Fiddler for 2017 4th Round Pick

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
:laugh: at those stoked to be getting a 4th round pick[/QUOTE

Is that how you felt last off season when your leafs loaded up on picks? Why not be excited to get a pick for scrub. I'd be very happy

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Only a fourth to bring in some veteran leadership/depth for the playoff push. Can't be too upset here.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Lose a diddler, add a Fiddler.

Either way, only a 4th rounder so don't really care

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Except for all the GM's that watched him play well at the World Cup just last summer.

Clueless as usual.

I don't agree with him, but Fiddler pulled in a first mainly from familiarity with Poile/Nashville. Bellemare lacks that type of connection.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Except for all the GM's that watched him play well at the World Cup just last summer.

Clueless as usual.

Did I personally attack or insult you? Show a bit of respect to your fellow poster, boyo.

I'm talking about familiar in the sense of having coached/managed the player. Mangers and coaches put a lot of stock in the type of guy a player is and Fiddler has a fantastic reputation around the league. I don't think the 30 GMs sitting at home during the two week tournament during the summer have the same relationship Poile did with Fiddler for 5+ years. :laugh: Who else around the league has a similar relationship with PEB?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Did I personally attack or insult you? Show a bit of respect to your fellow poster, boyo.

I'm talking about familiar in the sense of having coached/managed the player. Mangers and coaches put a lot of stock in the type of guy a player is and Fiddler has a fantastic reputation around the league. I don't think the 30 GMs sitting at home during the two week tournament during the summer have the same relationship Poile did with Fiddler for 5+ years. :laugh: Who else around the league has a similar relationship with PEB?

Respect is earned. You have done nothing to earn it....and you know why.

Point remains, Belle played very well in the WCOH against the top players in the world. He has been in the league 3 years, I think GM's know who he is. If they don't, they are poor at their job.

But good on Shero getting a pick for him.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Damn, I heard he only went for a 4th. Nashville gave up a first?!?! :sarcasm::sarcasm:

The way Fiddler has played, he shouldn't have pulled in more than a 6th.

A 4th is great when the Devils have three or four other options they can play instead of him and not miss a beat.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I seriously had no idea fiddler was still playing in the NHL.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Respect is earned. You have done nothing to earn it....and you know why.

Point remains, Belle played very well in the WCOH against the top players in the world. He has been in the league 3 years, I think GM's know who he is. If they don't, they are poor at their job.

But good on Shero getting a pick for him.

Have I ever personally insulted you?

Nope, the point does not remain. I think every GM knows most players in the league. However, they only know a handful very well. Poile knows Fiddler very well, hence, the trade. Not sure where the disconnect is.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The way Fiddler has played, he shouldn't have pulled in more than a 6th.

A 4th is great when the Devils have three or four other options they can play instead of him and not miss a beat.

Hell I'm just hoping this makes it more likely a contender pays a 7th for Thorburn's invaluable "grit" and "leadership" skills. (and they ignore the insane amount of idiot penalties he takes)

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009

Clueless as usual.

He's never been a good faceoff man, bad possession player and is the worst 5 on 5 player in the league. Bellemare is not good.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Good asset management by Shero.

Hoping the Flyers can get a 3rd for Bellemare based on this.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Good asset management by Shero.

Hoping the Flyers can get a 3rd for Bellemare based on this.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, Anthony.

Last year Fiddler put up 22 pts in 82 games

Bellemare has 32 pts in 208 games.

At least Fiddler was good as recently as last year. Bellemare has never been very useful

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That seems to be pretty common with the Devils line up this season (ex Schneider's regression)

A lot of the team struggled early on, but Fiddler just didn't seem to bring what he brought in previous places here. To be fair, he was flanked by some pretty awful fourth liners, but it doesn't look like that will change in Nashville with their injuries.

I think he's better than what he showed in NJ, but I didn't think a GM would take that gamble for anything more than like a 6th or 7th round pick.

A fourth is just gravy.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
A lot of the team struggled early on, but Fiddler just didn't seem to bring what he brought in previous places here. To be fair, he was flanked by some pretty awful fourth liners, but it doesn't look like that will change in Nashville with their injuries.

I think he's better than what he showed in NJ, but I didn't think a GM would take that gamble for anything more than like a 6th or 7th round pick.

A fourth is just gravy.

It's more than likely a case of not fitting into their system. Fiddler is a role player. He's not gonna bring points. He's not going to rack up lots of points. He's a great leader and tough as nails on the ice.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's more than likely a case of not fitting into their system. Fiddler is a role player. He's not gonna bring points. He's not going to rack up lots of points. He's a great leader and tough as nails on the ice.

I know that, but he wasn't bringing his usual game.

He was terrible on the PK and he didn't make the fourth line any better than guys like Kalinin or a rookie we brought up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad