Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] Vernon Fiddler for 2017 4th Round Pick

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he's still in the league? holy crap

the preds actually gave up a 4th rounder for a 36-37 year old C with a few points :laugh:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
the Devils are likely not going to be a playoff team and Fiddler is a pending UFA who has been basically useless this year. The fact that we got anything for him is a win.

Thats clearly not the opinion tht he referring to.

Its the OMG my GM fleeced ___ because he got a free lottery ticket draft pick.

2000-2009 About 8% chance of drafting a guy with a decent NHL career, 3.5% of drafting a guy that is an impact player.

2000-2009 10 draft years 300ish picks, good players...

Visnovsky
Erhoff
Callahan
Yandle
Hjalmarsson
Martinez
Holtby
Brodie
Nyqvist
Ekholm
Vatanen

Decent players...
Janssen
Wallin
Emery
Tootoo
Gilbert
Hejda
Quincey
Kennedy
Mitchell
Jones
Vandevelde
Boll
Sobotka
Reimer
Belesky
King
Falk
Sceviour
Halischuk
Weise
Czizkas
Savard
Smith
Foligno

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

2000-2009 About 8% chance of drafting a guy with a decent NHL career, 3.5% of drafting a guy that is an impact player.

Visnovsky
Erhoff
Callahan
Yandle
Hjalmarsson
Martinez
Holtby
Brodie
Nyqvist
Ekholm
Vatanen

Decent players...
Janssen
Wallin
Emery
Tootoo
Gilbert
Hejda
Quincey
Kennedy
Mitchell
Jones
Vandevelde
Boll
Sobotka
Reimer
Belesky
King
Falk
Sceviour
Halischuk
Weise
Czizkas
Savard
Smith
Foligno

A 4th round pick can be used to move up in the draft as well. Any time you can get an asset for a useless player, that's a win.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
A 4th round pick can be used to move up in the draft as well. Any time you can get an asset for a useless player, that's a win.

Nobodys arguing that.

They are arguing things like...

"Great trade for the Devils"
'I don't see many players moving to another team with that kind of silly payment"
"Shero must have dirt on other GM's"

Its good to get something for nothing
But the odds of actually getting something are very low.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Nobodys arguing that.

They are arguing things like...

"Great trade for the Devils"
'I don't see many players moving to another team with that kind of silly payment"
"Shero must have dirt on other GM's"

Its good to get something for nothing
But the odds of actually getting something are very low.

I'm not sure what your point is to be honest. He seems like a solid dude, but the guy was useless in NJ. He got more than Wingels did and is clearly worse. How is this not a fleecing? Predators fans being pissed is one sign it is.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I'm not sure what your point is to be honest. He seems like a solid dude, but the guy was useless in NJ. He got more than Wingels did and is clearly worse. How is this not a fleecing? Predators fans being pissed is one sign it is.

I don't think Wingels is much of a comparable, that was clearly a cap dump move. Wingels had a pretty hefty contract for being what is basically a 4th line forward.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Visnovsky
Erhoff
Callahan
Yandle
Hjalmarsson
Martinez
Holtby
Brodie
Nyqvist
Ekholm
Vatanen

Decent players...
Janssen
Wallin
Emery
Tootoo
Gilbert
Hejda
Quincey
Kennedy
Mitchell
Jones
Vandevelde
Boll
Sobotka
Reimer
Belesky
King
Falk
Sceviour
Halischuk
Weise
Czizkas
Savard
Smith
Foligno

Poile's actually done a pretty good job here in the recent past with 4th round: Notables

2015 (1/2... though Richard may turn out good too still too early to tell): Carrier still early but leads our AHL team in points and looks to be a solid bottom 4 puck mover.
2014 (1/1): Arvidsson - 3rd in nashville for points this season and 3rd in goals
2013 (1/2): Saros - still early and not alot of NHL starts but looks to have a bright future.
2012-2011 (0/4) - noone of note
2010 (0/0)- no picks
2009 (2/3) - craig smith and Mattias ekholm

so that's roughly 42% success rate since 2009 or if you drop the 2015 class since it's still too early to tell that drops to 40%. Arvidsson, Saros, Smith, and Ekholm have all made an impact on the Predators this season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the guy was literally being healthy scratched.

I like him, seems like a good guy and a good soldier, but getting ANYTHING for a guy that isn't even playing on a bad team is a win.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
the guy was literally being healthy scratched.

I like him, seems like a good guy and a good soldier, but getting ANYTHING for a guy that isn't even playing on a bad team is a win.

Sure, when you've got a bad team, getting something for a pending UFA is always good. I don't think anyone is disagreeing there. The problem is everyone talking about this being a steal, robbery, tremendous value etc. A 4th isn't worthless by any means, but a 4th, even 100% for free isn't something I'd really call a steal.

Fiddler was a very effective 4th liner as recently as last year, and he is now the Predators only left handed center if I'm not mistaken. Now the Preds have a lefty to take faceoffs. Good for the Devils to get a draft pick for a player that didn't fit and wasn't going to stick around. Far from a robbery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad