Confirmed with Link: [NSH/EDM] Mattias Ekholm($250k retained) and 6th round pick for 2023 1st round pick, Tyson Barrie, Reid Schaefer, and 4th round pick

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
In the old set up I'd agree, as Nurse was the only LD able to up against elites and the other pairings needed to be highly sheltered. It wouldn't have been an ideal spot of Bouchard (or Barrie).

But right now, you can have the other pairs as a solid and safe veteran duo (Kulak-Ceci) and one with Ekholm. Both of those canŕeat a lot of defensive minutes and responsibility.
If anything, the Nurse-Bouchard pairing would end up the "most sheltered." It's basically an upgraded version of the 2021 defence.
9 million for a considered 1D, that would be sheltered? Sad.

Reactions: Kolja

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
9 million for a considered 1D, that would be sheltered? Sad.

I'd call it babysitting duty more so than sheltered.

It's the same as Nurse-Barrie in 2021. You're not actively sheltering them, but you tilt their usage so they're fed all the offensive opportunities (and with good reason: because they're by far your best options).

Nurse got paid because he made a defenceman, who got ran out of his last town for being a massive defensive liability, playable in any situation at evens (and excelled at it). That's what I want him to do for Bouchard.

Plus, as said when there's a key defensive situation, Bouchard and Broberg would take a seat and you'd pair up Nurse-Ekholm. Not really sheltered at all.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
And at age 40. What happens if Ekholm is runner up to Norris at age 40? People here would find something to complain about.

The pick can also be the next Shea Weber.
And a 5th round pick you trade could be the next Kaprizov. Who cares?

I hope y'all are enjoying Ekholm. I wish we couldve sent you McDonagh instead. Barrie has been pretty good for us so far. His defensive game hasnt been that bad and he is providing us with some offense. I think this is going to be a pretty good win/win for our teams.
That's the story of Barrie's time with the Oilers. His defensive issues are overblown by Leafs fans, and he's a stalwart on the powerplay.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I hope y'all are enjoying Ekholm. I wish we couldve sent you McDonagh instead. Barrie has been pretty good for us so far. His defensive game hasnt been that bad and he is providing us with some offense. I think this is going to be a pretty good win/win for our teams.
I imagine you would have, because I suspect Ekholm is a superior player, and he's been an excellent fit.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Ekholm has been great so far. Hopefully he also has a positive development effect on Bouchard/Broberg like he did for Carrier/Fabbro with you guys. As for McDonagh vs Ekholm y'all wouldn't get Schaefer and the 1st with McDonagh. ;)

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
After sitting on the trade for a bit I'm a little concerned about Ekhom's age. He will be 33 in May, and will be 35 in his last year of his contract. He has by all accounts already started his age-related regression. We have to hope that his regression is slow, rather than fast, as can happen to players in their early 30s. There is certainly some age risk with this player, no doubt about it. I think it for sure makes the team better this year, and most likely next year as well. But I think all bets are off starting when he is 34. Not saying he'll immediately become a shell of himself or anything, but that definitely DOES happen sometimes to players in their early 30s.
Lol typical.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We will take McDonagh off your hands for Jack Campbell and Kulak/Ceci

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I'm with Brad on this. Great deal.

I kinda laugh at most significant. Like honestly what big trade have they done?

Lucic for Neal was significant more in terms of getting out of a contract.
Made a run at AA, but there was a lot of hope in that deal more than anything. Plus Covid kinda made it a real insignificant trade.
Keith was a big deal, but that was never going to be a long-term impact trade. More placeholder
Bear for Foegelle was somewhat significant, but really they were trading for a third liner.
Then the Kostin deal, another deal where at best they were hoping for a 4th liner/pressbox guy. Although he turned out a lot better, but still not a significant deal

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Barrie's defensive game can be up and down. When played properly if you look at him as a whole his defensive blunders are worth it for what he brings offensively. I don't know that I'd be keen on him playing 20 minutes a night at even strength, but then again if he is playing with a defensively sound guy that will help.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
His defensive game isn't as bad as his reputation suggests. That's what happens when Leaf fans are bitter at a player I guess.

After watching Bouchard with Ekholm, do people still wish he was traded instead of Barrie?
Nope. But let's not be too hasty, Bouch is an RFA this summer and could still be used as trade bait.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I kinda laugh at most significant. Like honestly what big trade have they done?

Lucic for Neal was significant more in terms of getting out of a contract.
Made a run at AA, but there was a lot of hope in that deal more than anything. Plus Covid kinda made it a real insignificant trade.
Keith was a big deal, but that was never going to be a long-term impact trade. More placeholder
Bear for Foegelle was somewhat significant, but really they were trading for a third liner.
Then the Kostin deal, another deal where at best they were hoping for a 4th liner/pressbox guy. Although he turned out a lot better, but still not a significant deal
man, some people just want to be negative for the sake it of it eh?

Barrie is criminally underrated. If someone tells you he sucks or can't play, you can safely disregard any opinion that that person has.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It all depends on Barries usage.
Keep him below 20 minutes and he will be fine.

His first season in Edmonton he was over played...averaging 21:24 per game. There were defensive problems similar to what was happening in Toronto were he was also playing over 20 minutes.
The next season his TOI was cut to under 20 minutes and he was fine.

I see that so far Nashville is playing Barrie over 21 minutes. Barrie may look fine now but over time thats likely to be a problem.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I imagine you would have, because I suspect Ekholm is a superior player, and he's been an excellent fit.

It all depends on a teams needs. Remember how long we were looking for an RHD to QB the pp? Barrie was a huge part of our success, we wouldn't have made this trade had Bouchard not developed so well. Ekholm has been excellent though and exactly what we needed.

Useless plug

May 23, 2021
the extra prospect and picks will tilt it in a few years.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
the extra prospect and picks will tilt it in a few years.

Or it might not, since magic beans are magic beans. I’m sure the Preds will be happy with the trade either way, they need to re-tool and between Schaefer and the 1st this year and whatever they get for Barrie when they decide to move him, they’ll probably get at least one player out of it that fits their timeline.

Reactions: TB12

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
My main point.

Ekholm is a decent dman. Barrie is a decent dman.

This move does absolutely nothing to move the needle forward for the team as it's a sawoff at best.

Numbers above prove that "on paper"... but now let's watch the games play out and see if A) there's an improvement in the PK numbers and B) no noticeable dropoff in the PP numbers and C) and improvement in the 5 on 5 stats.

Here's what they are currently:

75.6% PK
31.9% PP
135 GF at 5v5 and 129 GA at 5v5 =1.0465 ratio.

Let's see what the results are at the end of the season after Holland's additions during this deadline "frenzy".

I'm hoping they will actually improve the team as well... because it's brutal to expect McDrai to carry the team 2+ rounds on their backs again.
This post aged pretty poorly already.

In the 14 games since the trade.

One of them has a 9gf/11ga at 5on5.

The other has 22gf/10ga at 5on5.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
This post aged pretty poorly already.

In the 14 games since the trade.

One of them has a 9gf/11ga at 5on5.

The other has 22gf/10ga at 5on5.
Ha ha. Thats funny.
One would have thought the slide rule kids would have been a little more circumspect. But thats a little much to ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad