Confirmed with Link: [NSH/EDM] Mattias Ekholm($250k retained) and 6th round pick for 2023 1st round pick, Tyson Barrie, Reid Schaefer, and 4th round pick

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Found that article I was talking about. Funnily enough, it's written by Evolving Wild back when they were doing some interesting stuff rather than trolling Twitter.

It's a little old now(written in 2017) and uses WAR, so it isn't ideal, but it does a pretty good job showing how players trend with age.

evo-war-graph.png

As you can see, players tend to regress pretty hard offensively in their 30s.

evd-war-graph.png

Defense stays fairly consistent until 37 though.

I wouldn't be too worried about having Ekholm signed until he's 36.
On this contract he’ll turn 36 in may of the last year so he’ll play games on this deal at 36 if we’re balls deep in the playoffs.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
A game with 5? Even strength goals And he was +1 playing more then nurse. His style of game is very different then any dmen we have you can tell game by game Bouchard is benefiting from it and making changes to his game

Yup, and some here think that they should have gotten Chychrun instead. I have a feeling they might have lost the game before with Chychrun in for Ekholm. Unfortunately not even Ekholm’s Viking shield wall can save them from Junk Crapbell

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
If we had been able keep Adam Larson the deal would not have needed to happen. Things just did not work out and between the two groups. We all know there were things outside oilers control for keeping Larsson.

So these kind trades happen to correct when other things don't work out.

The key for me is Ekholm is signed for 3 more years after this.

Several posters on this board got pissy with me when I rejected doing a trade for a rental and giving up picks and prosoect for a player gone in 4 months.

We gave Barrie and magic beans for Ekholm.

If we gave up this package for a rental this boards would go crazier than it now.

For ten days this board has been in meltdown to have the oilers do a trade and finally get one and people are still pissed.

No matter what the oilers do some of you will still be pissed. Why? Many were hoping we get something great for nothing. Sadly that is not how it works.

Both deals today are good deals for the Oilers. We won't know for about 10 years how this deal will truly work out for the Preds
Ekholm is the better player. Larsson is the more physichal defender.

If they find another LD, Ekholm could pair with Nurse, and Ceci slides down to 2nd pair would be ideal.
Kulak goes, sorry pal. Ge was a stopgap for the emergence of Broberg.

I wonder also as well, what theyre gonna fo with the RW, upgrade?
Hyman, Yamamoto, Janmark, Bjugstad, Ryan is thin. Only Hyman is top 6 worthy.
Switch Yamamotos salary+ pick for a LD, and one of Kulak/Ceci + pick for a RW

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
If they find another LD, Ekholm could pair with Nurse, and Ceci slides down to 2nd pair would be ideal.

This is an idea I really like (especially at the end of games with the lead or other key defensive situations). Though I don't even think they need another guy, the in-house options with Kulak or Broberg are fine.

Nurse-Ekholm
Kulak-Ceci/Bouchard
Broberg-Ceci/Bouchard

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
This is an idea I really like (especially at the end of games with the lead or other key defensive situations). Though I don't even think they need another guy, the in-house options with Kulak or Broberg are fine.

Nurse-Ekholm
Kulak-Ceci/Bouchard
Broberg-Ceci/Bouchard
Broberg Ceci would be that pairing. If Broberg gets more ready.
But I like that too. And Kulak Bouchard.
I would like Desharnias Ceci as a pairing if someone could play offside.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Broberg Ceci would be that pairing. If Broberg gets more ready.
But I like that too. And Kulak Bouchard.
I would like Desharnias Ceci as a pairing if someone could play offside.

I also like the idea of Broberg-Ceci and Kulak-Bouchard. Although Kulak-Ceci would be my ideal "reliable vet pairing", I'm not a fan of constantly having Broberg-Bouchard together (even if their numbers as a pair are damn good). Just too many dumb/careless mistakes happen when they're out there, and I'm afraid that the offence that currently balances them out will dry up before the mistakes do.

Though this is where I get back to my original idea after the trade: Have a default defence of Nurse (instead of Ekholm) look after Bouchard, and pair Broberg with Ekholm.

Nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-Ekholm
Kulak-Ceci

This way you always have one of Nurse, Ekholm, or a solid vet pair on the ice at all times, and you can easily pair up Nurse and Ekholm when situations call for it. Imagine being up 2-1 late in a game, and being able to close it down by bouncing back and forth between Nurse-Ekholm vs. elites, and Kulak-Ceci vs. everyone else.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I also like the idea of Broberg-Ceci and Kulak-Bouchard. Although Kulak-Ceci would be my ideal "reliable vet pairing", I'm not a fan of constantly having Broberg-Bouchard together (even if their numbers as a pair are damn good). Just too many dumb/careless mistakes happen when they're out there, and I'm afraid that the offence that currently balances them out will dry up before the mistakes do.

Though this is where I get back to my original idea after the trade: Have a default defence of Nurse (instead of Ekholm) look after Bouchard, and pair Broberg with Ekholm.

Nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-Ekholm
Kulak-Ceci

This way you always have one of Nurse, Ekholm, or a solid vet pair on the ice at all times, and you can easily pair up Nurse and Ekholm when situations call for it. Imagine being up 2-1 late in a game, and being able to close it down by bouncing back and forth between Nurse-Ekholm vs. elites, and Kulak-Ceci vs. everyone else.
Nurse Bouchard doesnt work.

Nurse cant carry Bouchards misstakes.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Ekholm is technically 4-0 for us. I refuse to count the last game that Campbell single handedly lost for us.
Pretty much. Dude has lost so many games for this team. If Holland can’t get rid of him they Are in serious trouble. Skinner can’t play every game and what if he gets hurt? Game over. Lol

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Well K’ring got his cup of coffee at least:

Arizona is perfect for letting prospect get their first NHL game. In other organisations good prospects has to wait for the 1st and 2nd rounders to get their 1 million chances.

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Pretty much. Dude has lost so many games for this team. If Holland can’t get rid of him they Are in serious trouble. Skinner can’t play every game and what if he gets hurt? Game over. Lol
Should Oilers buy campbell out, or trade him at 50% retained for a half bad contract? Campbell could worth 2,5 millions in another non-hockey market. Say Oilers trade for a 3 years of a bottom 6 forward that is paid to much, but is useful for us.
K Hayes?
Or a LD type for Campbell retained 50%+ 2025 1st rounder? Worth it?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Runner-up for the Norris that year (lost to Lidstrom).
And at age 40. What happens if Ekholm is runner up to Norris at age 40? People here would find something to complain about.

People value "1st round" picks way too much. Let's not forget that Tyler Benson and Mitch Moroz were also drafted 32nd overall.
I'd much rather have Kostin than Reid Schaefer right now with the Oilers current window
The pick can also be the next Shea Weber.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Nurse Bouchard doesnt work.

Nurse cant carry Bouchards misstakes.

In the old set up I'd agree, as Nurse was the only LD able to up against elites and the other pairings needed to be highly sheltered. It wouldn't have been an ideal spot of Bouchard (or Barrie).

But right now, you can have the other pairs as a solid and safe veteran duo (Kulak-Ceci) and one with Ekholm. Both of those can eat a lot of defensive minutes and responsibility.
If anything, the Nurse-Bouchard pairing would end up the "most sheltered." It's basically an upgraded version of the 2021 defence.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
And at age 40. What happens if Ekholm is runner up to Norris at age 40? People here would find something to complain about.

The pick can also be the next Shea Weber.
Scouting gets better and better. Almost 90- 95% of all stars is 1st rounder bound. 2nd and 3rd round is a bit after. 4th and down is almost non picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad