Confirmed Trade: [NSH/COL] Ryan Johansen (50% retained) to Colorado for rights to Alex Galchenyuk

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
RyJo at 4m AAV as a 2C is a great pickup. I think his production will get a boost playing there.

Maybe Nashville is trying to move cap in going after a bigger piece?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
30 points last season and 15 points this season at 5on5 for Johansen is not 2nd line numbers. Newhook who you're bringing down has better numbers

Unless your opinion of outplaying Newhook is Johansen padding his stats on the 1st powerplay unit?
Because one player (Johansen) can actually play C in the NHL and has proven it. Meanwhile the other player (Newhook) has been given opportunities and has shown he can’t play C in the NHL, and may never do so.

Reactions: Grigowski

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Your original post on the topic:

Let's cut the semantics bullshit. You clearly intended to say a $2 million cap hit wasn't a good contract for Newhook and the recent comparables YOU provided show exactly the opposite.

I absolutely did not intend to say that, which is why I provided evidence showing why he was worth $2M.

When you quoted me, I thought you were asking where I came up with that $2M figure, because it seemed like I pulled out of thin air.

However, the reason I also said it's not particularly cheap is because Colorado only has $15.75M in cap space, and realistically need to add/sign 8 players (unless they go into the year with fewer than 20 skaters).

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The best newhook looked was with Cogs and O'Connor with those two doing all the veteran dirty work. Might have to just use him there again.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I absolutely did not intend to say that, which is why I provided evidence showing why he was worth $2M.

When you quoted me, I thought you were asking where I came up with that $2M figure, because it seemed like I pulled out of thin air.

However, the reason I also said it's not particularly cheap is because Colorado only has $15.75M in cap space, and realistically need to add/sign 8 players (unless they go into the year with fewer than 20 skaters).
I guess you could sign a couple of fourth line, dime-a-dozen forwards for a million dollars each and in aggregate they may provide the same offense as Newhook. Of course those players will also be older and have little to no upside. Not sure why that's necessarily better. You certainly aren't getting a 3rd liner that can average 34 points per 82 games for around $2 million in free agency.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
One of the most overrated players of this era. But he may do okay playing behind MacKinnon and no longer being the guy.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
In 2021-2022, Johansen had 39 EVP and 29 5v5P.

Both totals were identical to Elias Patterson that year, and similar to other centers like Sam Bennett (39/32), Patrice Bergeron (39/33) and Vincent Trochek (39/31).

There's no denying Johansen stunk last year - as evidenced by the Avalanche trading literally nothing for him. But in 2021-2022, his point splits were similar to other centers who had similar offensive outputs.
He shot 22% personally in 21-22 (Almost double his career shooting percentage) and had a very high overall on ice shooting of 10.8%. It's also the only good year he's had since 18-19.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
preds fans may have exaggerated his injury. he seems to be doing well in colorado.
His injury was just a question mark. Him slowing down, his "fit" within the club, and never being worth his contract were not. 4 of his 5 points are on the power play...anybody would put up points on a unit with Mackinnon, Rantanen, and Makar.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
His injury was just a question mark. Him slowing down, his "fit" within the club, and never being worth his contract were not. 4 of his 5 points are on the power play...anybody would put up points on a unit with Mackinnon, Rantanen, and Makar.
Yeah...he's kinda come as advertised, to me. Mostly lazy; rather slow; but undeniable talent, hence him getting some powerplay points and fitting in well there.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah...he's kinda come as advertised, to me. Mostly lazy; rather slow; but undeniable talent, hence him getting some powerplay points and fitting in well there.
He’s a 30+ player who has some ability son offense ( more assists) and probably decent on face offs.
you got him at 50% for free.

he probably makes what the team wanted for Compher resigning.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He’s a 30+ player who has some ability son offense ( more assists) and probably decent on face offs.
you got him at 50% for free.

he probably makes what the team wanted for Compher resigning.

Compher and Kadri vs Johansen at the term he had left and the cap hit they got him at seem like it worked out okay.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
For $4 million I think Johansen has been a fine fit. There’s little downside to renting him for the year at that price and surrounding him with a good team. He certainly doesn’t make the 2C position like some league-leading strength for Colorado but his size, ability to win a face-off and scoring ability on the PP give the Avs a different dimension that they were lacking last year.

Newhook has been solid. Happy for him. No Avs fans are going to cry turning him into Colton and a 1st. Win-win. That trade and the rest of the Avs off-season wasn’t about “getting rid” of Newhook, it was about shuffling the supporting cast that desperately needed some rebooting and a different flavor especially with Landeskog’s future in doubt.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Johansen's issues were always that @$8m his production needed to be top tier. He was never going to be able to hit that mark. Nashville had a large youth movement they needed to find spots for young guys on top lines and moving on from Johansen made sense. At 4M for the Avs he's going to be a decent/good pick-up. I don't know that what we're seeing early in the season will dictate what he is at the end though. Can always revisit this at the end of the year.

Reactions: Armourboy

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Is he playing exclusively as a center though ? Legit question

Nope, and in fact most of his production came while he was on the wing.

Johansen has also been exactly as advertised quite frankly, frustratingly lazy and pretty bad defensively because of his laziness. But also lots of skill and fits on the PP quite well.

Concerned over the way he has looked at 5 on 5 though. Where things really matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad