Now when Lidstrom got his 5th norris, how far can he climb?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
3) There are more higher talented players now, but they are also more teams. There were, on average, 8.786 teams during Shore's career, 27.4 during Lidstrom's career. Thusly, while we all accept that there is more talent now, is there 3.119 times more talent now? That is debateable.

Number of teams has nothing to do with it, if anything, there are too many teams in the NHL today. But my point was that the number of players competeing for awards has certainly gone up.

I just think comparing those guys and their hardware is very hard, if not impossible to do so objectively.

In the 80s, Bourque, Chelios, Robinson, Potvin... were all playing. 4 of the top-10/top-15 defensemen to ever play. Winning 7 Norris trophies like Harvey did was a hard task for any of them. Winning the Hart after Gretzky came into the league was impossible.

Some of the greats had the luxury of playing on dominant teams (Harvey, Robinson, Potvin...) while some were standouts on good but not great teams (Bourque).

Based on what I've seen, with all the retro games I've seen and so on, I'd place Lidstrom below Orr, possibly a tiny notch below Potvin and Harvey, but right up there with Bourque and Shore (based solely on what I've read/heard of him).

IMHO, Lidstrom is top-5/top-6 defenseman of all time right now.
If he plays out a couple more of good years (not necessarily Norris caliber, but say, Norris finalist), he'll be top-3 in my book.
He's got all the hardware apart from a Hart and has 3 Cups in and era when dynasties are long dead and buried.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
2)There is a big difference between Best Defenceman and MVP. Lidstrom has proven to be notably better than his defensive peers. Shore proved to be notably better than all other hockey players. This is overcomming the bias that Hart is voted on by the media, and Shore was a ****ing *******, so, logically, voters outside of Boston wouldn't be voting for him for any reason other than him earning it.

i wouldn't say lidstrom is greater than shore, but i think hart trophy was different from today.

it seems that then, hart was much more about valuable to his team, but today it is best player. tommy anderson and al rollins probably wouldn't have a chance today, since they were on the worst teams, but they both won.

bathgate won when his team missed the playoffs, while beliveau and moore each had 1 of their best years (and on the best team). howe was 2nd and sawchuk 4th that season, and detroit was the worst team in the league.

kennedy won near the end of his career on a .500 team, while montreal and detroit dominated the league.

ebbie goodfellow: 3 time all-star, captain on SC winners, won hart in 1940, but he's never mentioned as 1 of the great dmen.

things like these lead me to believe the hart trophy was most valuable to his team, not most valuable overall.

it seems voters gave more recognition to dmen long ago. babe siebert, herb gardiner, tommy anderson, goodfellow and of course shore, all won the hart trophy in pre-original 6 era. other dmen got more votes than dmen do today. clancy got votes fairly regularly. cleghorn was runner-up (twice), ching johnson, lionel conacher, clapper and hitchman were, too. often in the 30s-40s, several dmen appear in the top 5 in hart voting, and a few times, 3 of 5 are dmen.

in the 50s, hart voting was dominated by forwards. kelly and harvey are the only dmen who appear much in the hart voting until orr. maybe because of creation of the norris trophy?
it could just be a coincidence of the era. maybe better dmen in 20s-40s and better forwards in 50s-60s.

i'm not making any judgements that shore or any of these players didn't deserve their hart votes/awards, just making observations about the hart trophy over time.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
The problem with Lidstrom is not that he's European, it's that he's playing today. Lots of people here have a huge nostalgic bias toward past players.

You will hopefully acknowledge that the majority of people on this board (not The History of Hockey Board, but HF, in general) have a curiosity for anything in the past equal to that of a snail. That is to say, if it didn't happen in the last five weeks, it's not worth knowing.

Call it bias, call it lack of intelligence, a myopic perspective or whatever. It permeates this board.

Which is why the HOH board is unique. It includes people who can actually recall the Year 1999 (and prior). Which makes for engaging, informative discussion. One based on a body of knowledge, not just tonight's ESPN highlights or the latest stat sheet.

An uncurious mind, one that has no respect for that which came prior, is a weak mind, and one that instead relies strictly on baseless cliches, i.e, "They ALL were lousy skaters back then!...". :dunce:

On the other hand, an informed mind can make relative comparisons between players of different eras, albeit imperfect ones, to be sure. Without resorting to stereotypes and overt biases.

Lidstrom is a great player, period, a certain HOFer. That he plays in 2007 does not by default make him superior to greats from previous eras. Hardly, in fact.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Really? Care to evolve that? I find the opposite understanding on these boards.
On these boards? jeez. On these boards the future is rated higher than the present, forget about the past, literally, most people here wouldn't know hockey history if it kissed them on the mouth.

I honestly can't see any way in which there is anything but a modern bias on these boards. I'm flabbergasted that there is even doubt. Asside from a small handful of posters, all I see is posts about how players who played in the past are inherently inferior because they played in the past.

Number of teams has nothing to do with it, if anything, there are too many teams in the NHL today. But my point was that the number of players competeing for awards has certainly gone up.

I just think comparing those guys and their hardware is very hard, if not impossible to do so objectively.

In the 80s, Bourque, Chelios, Robinson, Potvin... were all playing. 4 of the top-10/top-15 defensemen to ever play. Winning 7 Norris trophies like Harvey did was a hard task for any of them. Winning the Hart after Gretzky came into the league was impossible.

Some of the greats had the luxury of playing on dominant teams (Harvey, Robinson, Potvin...) while some were standouts on good but not great teams (Bourque).

Based on what I've seen, with all the retro games I've seen and so on, I'd place Lidstrom below Orr, possibly a tiny notch below Potvin and Harvey, but right up there with Bourque and Shore (based solely on what I've read/heard of him).

IMHO, Lidstrom is top-5/top-6 defenseman of all time right now.
If he plays out a couple more of good years (not necessarily Norris caliber, but say, Norris finalist), he'll be top-3 in my book.
He's got all the hardware apart from a Hart and has 3 Cups in and era when dynasties are long dead and buried.

And Shore was competing against Clancy, Seibert, Conacher, Johnson, and latter converted forwards like Clapper, Goodfellow and Siebert.

Two differences due to amount of teams.

1) Oppertunity, with 8-9 teams, only a handful of defencemen get that top ice time, heck, there are very good players that never make it to the NHL, that's why guys like Shore and Nels Stewert stepped in and were stars as rookies, they had all-ready proven themself against high level pro competition before making it to the big show.

2) No weak links on the ice. Shore never beat up weak competition. He had to play against superior talent every night.

What's more, Over the course of Shore's career 26 different players were nominated for the Hart, Along with winning 4 times, Shore was nominated 3 times. Over Lidstrom's career there are 27 nominees, over 1 more season. Lidstrom is never nominated, let alone named the winner.

So not only is there no significant difference in contenders for the title of the best. If you wish to argue that the contenders then were not as strong, and I'm sure you do, concider this: Over Lidstrom's career, Jagr is nominated 6 times, Hasek 5 times and Lemieux 4 times, while, over Shore's career, Morenz with 3 times is 2nd place. So Shore had a level of domination in excess of Jagr's and Hasek's, greater than Lemieux's over that time period, and slightly greater over Lemieux's career. (Both 7 nominations, Shore won 4, Lemieux 3.) Only Gretzky and Howe dominated their era more than Shore. So, if a player is that much better than their competition, how bad does their competition have to be for them to not be better than someone who was never once concidered the best?

In other words, even if the high end competition is better now, Shore dominated in ways that no one has over the course of Lidstrom's career. Therefore, he'd logically be one of the dominant one's if born in Lidstrom's year, and Lidstrom has never been the dominant one in his career. Therefore, Shore is better than Lidstrom.

Also of note, there wasn't a single dynasty over Shore's career. One team won three cups, (Rangers) four teams one two cups (Blackhawks, Bruins, Canadiens and Red Wings), two teams won back to back cups (Canadiens and Red Wings) 3 teams one once (Maroons, Maple Leafs and Senators.) and of the multiple winners, the distances between wins was: Rangers: 5 years and 7 years, Bruins: 10 years, Blackhawks: 4 years.

this further demonstrates how much parity and competition existed in Shore's era, and yet, Shore was still definatively better than everyone else.

Also, you state that winning the Hart was impossible due to Gretzky. Gretzky won his first Hart in 79-80, and his last 88-89. So, looking at the 1980's and how many 2nd, 3rd or 4th place finishes Bourque, Potvin, Robinson and Chelios had:
79-80: 0
80-81: 0
81-82: 0
82-83: 0
83-84: 0
84-85: 0
85-86: 0
86-87: 1, Ray Bourque 2nd place
87-88: 0
88-89: 0

So, if you take Gretzky out of the picture, Bourque, Robinson, Potvin and Chelios have a combined 1 Hart and 0 nominations, compaired to Shore's 4 Harts and 3 nominations.

Of note, Rod Langway would have 1 Hart and 2 nominations over that period.

Once again, Shore was so far ahead of his era, that even if you ramp up the competition, he'd likely still be the best of his era, and only Harvey or Orr would be conceivably ahead of him.

i wouldn't say lidstrom is greater than shore, but i think hart trophy was different from today.

it seems that then, hart was much more about valuable to his team, but today it is best player. tommy anderson and al rollins probably wouldn't have a chance today, since they were on the worst teams, but they both won.

bathgate won when his team missed the playoffs, while beliveau and moore each had 1 of their best years (and on the best team). howe was 2nd and sawchuk 4th that season, and detroit was the worst team in the league.

kennedy won near the end of his career on a .500 team, while montreal and detroit dominated the league.

ebbie goodfellow: 3 time all-star, captain on SC winners, won hart in 1940, but he's never mentioned as 1 of the great dmen.

things like these lead me to believe the hart trophy was most valuable to his team, not most valuable overall.

it seems voters gave more recognition to dmen long ago. babe siebert, herb gardiner, tommy anderson, goodfellow and of course shore, all won the hart trophy in pre-original 6 era. other dmen got more votes than dmen do today. clancy got votes fairly regularly. cleghorn was runner-up (twice), ching johnson, lionel conacher, clapper and hitchman were, too. often in the 30s-40s, several dmen appear in the top 5 in hart voting, and a few times, 3 of 5 are dmen.

in the 50s, hart voting was dominated by forwards. kelly and harvey are the only dmen who appear much in the hart voting until orr. maybe because of creation of the norris trophy?
it could just be a coincidence of the era. maybe better dmen in 20s-40s and better forwards in 50s-60s.

i'm not making any judgements that shore or any of these players didn't deserve their hart votes/awards, just making observations about the hart trophy over time.

The differences were mostly slight and more a reflection of era. Because there were so few teams, each team was deeper so one great player could do less. So Rollins and Bathgate were the best players in the league their years, but, even the best player in the league couldn't overcome teams with 4+ Hall of Famers on it.

The only major difference, is, as you said, alot more respect for the contributions of defencemen, which is, more than anything, a huge black mark on the face of current Hart voters. And, I would accept that as one point of argument for Lidstrom, but his career Hart votes are (2-5-14-34-28) And only 3 times was he the top d-man in Hart voting.

Forget about Tommy Anderson. Unless you have history books that explain that one, it just doesn't seem to make sense. I just assume it's due to a war depleted talent pool he had a career year. History will remember Jose Theodore much the same way, except they'll be lots of questions as to why there was virtually no top end talent from 00-04.

There's no denying Kennedy's victory was political. No pun intended. He won because Conn Smythe demanded it.

Goodfellow played most of his career as a center and was converted when Marty Barry joined the team and was the best move Jack Adams ever made.

It is true that there weren't many stand out forwards in the 30's as compaired to defencemen, Conacher, Morenz and Cook were great, but Morenz and Cook were more late 20's early 30's. And conversely, the 60's were probably the weakest decade ever for defencemen.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
2) No weak links on the ice. Shore never beat up weak competition. He had to play against superior talent every night.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. Noone is comparing their stats. Lidstrom has had his Norris opponents in the Prongers, Niedermayers, Blakes and Bourques, not Suttons, Belaks, etc.

What's more, Over the course of Shore's career 26 different players were nominated for the Hart, Along with winning 4 times, Shore was nominated 3 times. Over Lidstrom's career there are 27 nominees, over 1 more season. Lidstrom is never nominated, let alone named the winner.

So, if you take Gretzky out of the picture, Bourque, Robinson, Potvin and Chelios have a combined 1 Hart and 0 nominations, compaired to Shore's 4 Harts and 3 nominations.

Honestly, I think comparing Harts for defensemen pre-Norris and post-Norris is just way off base.
Ever since Norris was introduced, it has become somewhat of a "Hart for defensemen". The number of defensemen getting serious consideration went down drastically.
(hell, even this season... Yeah, Crosby, Broduer and Luongo each had great season... Yet Lidstrom did too and noone even seriously considered him for it)

All you need to do is look at how many defensemen were nominated for the Hart pre and post Norris to see that. A lot of great defensemen never won a Hart (like Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom, Potvin), and even Orr - who most agree was about as dominant as it gets - only won 3 Harts compared to 8 Norris trophies.
On the other hand, the Art Ross winner wins the Hart exactly 50% of the time. Add goalies to that mix and pre-Norris defensemen and you've got a more complete picture of how hard it is to win a Hart for a defenseman nowadays.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Not sure what that has to do with anything. Noone is comparing their stats. Lidstrom has had his Norris opponents in the Prongers, Niedermayers, Blakes and Bourques, not Suttons, Belaks, etc.

Fair enough, but Clancy, Conacher, Seibert and Johnson are hardly soft competition, one could easily argue they are tough competition than any that Lidstrom beat.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Fair enough, but Clancy, Conacher, Seibert and Johnson are hardly soft competition, one could easily argue they are tough competition than any that Lidstrom beat.

I really can't get into that, to be honest.

I've read enough about Shore to know he was pretty much the dominant defenseman at the time.
I've read bits and pieces about the others, they were great players, but I've simply never seen them play.
And I've read enough articles and seen enough shows in the media covered 80s, 90s, 2000s sports world (not just hockey) to think some, if not most, sports writers write some absolute rubbish.

Anyway, to sum up... I've seen enough of Lidstrom and his opposition to think he is simply better. Controls the play and the tempo better than anyone I've seen, including Bourque, though lacking a bit of a mean streak Potvin had.

I've NOT seen Shore and his peers... And while we know he was the best guy back then, I still feel Lidstrom's competition was higher, and that, until he actually won his first Norris, he should've had a couple by then already.
But I only feel or think that way, not having seen Shore and his generation play, I simply can't know or even form a proper opinion that I'd be willing to back up no matter what.

All I'm saying, in the end is... Not that Lidstrom is clearly better than SHore, or the other way around... Simply cos I've never seen either of them play, it's very hard to form an objective opinion.

And as I mentioned before, Shore's Harts are great and all, but I don't think you can hold it against Lidstrom he never won one, only a couple of defensemen did since Norris was introduced (and the funny thing is one of them probably shouldn't have won it, Pronger in 2000 over Jagr).
So, since the Norris was introduced ONLY Orr and Pronger won the Hart on D. I think that tells a story.
In less years in the pre-Norris era, 5 different guys won the Hart playing D (Burch, Anderson, Shore, Goodfellow, Pratt).
Harvey, Lidstrom, Bourque, Pilote, Potvin, Robinson... None of those guy ever won a Hart.

Last edited:

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Lidstrom's high-end realistically is 4th. Another Norris or two, maybe another Conn Smythe and another Cup would go a long way to cementing that spot, especially since he's had a couple of his most productive seasons since the lockout. I just can't see him overcoming Orr, Shore, or Harvey unless he suddenly puts together a string of Hart-caliber dominance not seen since Orr's prime over the next 2-3 years.

If I had toi rank them today:

1. Orr

2a. Shore
2b. Harvey

4a. Potvin
4b. Robinson
4c. Lidstrom
4d. Bourque
4e. Kelly

9a. Pilote
9b. Chelios

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Since 1998 Lidstrom has won the Norris 6 times out of 9(giving back the one Blake stole with his Canadian cheating). In that same time span he was the top defenseman in Hart trophy voting 4 times and was second 2 times (again taking away Blakes cheating 1998).

Bourque has been a runner up twice and Potvin has been a runner up once. Robinson never.

It's interesting to look at how some years there are zero defenseman even getting a vote, or someone like Blake or Lidstrom will get a third place vote and thats it so I agree its way tougher for defenseman to win it.

However, Bourque and Potvin have been close while I dont think Lidstrom has ever finished top 5 in voting (this year is the highest in 7th I think). Lidstrom while always being one of the best if the not the best defenseman every year, was never really regarded as the best player in the game. Shore was regarded as the best player in the game multiple times.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Though I'm not saying Lidstrom should be placed top 5 or anything all-time, I sometimes get curious reading threads like these how many of you have actually seen the all-time greats play, and I'm not talking about video montages or a championship game, I'm talking about seeing 20 or so games of Harvey , Shore et al.
It's easy to just compare trophies and stats, but I like to base my opinions on what I've seen.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
There are more higher talented players now, but they are also more teams. There were, on average, 8.786 teams during Shore's career, 27.4 during Lidstrom's career. Thusly, while we all accept that there is more talent now, is there 3.119 times more talent now? That is debateable. Keeping in mind, that while, for a long while many talented players opted out of pro-hockey because other careers were more profitable, Shore played primarily during the Great Depression, where, for most of the population, there wasn't the oppertunity to get a better job than pro-hockey. Which explains why it has one of the lowest standard deviations of production of any era in history, if not the lowest. So while there might be 3-4 times the talent now than there was in the 20's or 40's, the same is probably not true of the 30's.

In actual terms, today's game probably has close to 100 times more talent than in Shore's era.......probably even more.

Take into account Canada's 1930's population was 1/3 of what it is now; the fact that the game is undoubtedly more popular today and taken more seriously; the fact that a ridiculously higher % of Canadian kids play competatively today; the fact that the game was virtually non-existant outside of Canada's borders in the 1930s (or at least at a competative level).........and its easy to tell that the talent pool drawn upon from back then was a miniscule fraction of what it is now.
It's truly a 'world game' today......not one contained to 1930s Canada.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Though I'm not saying Lidstrom should be placed top 5 or anything all-time, I sometimes get curious reading threads like these how many of you have actually seen the all-time greats play, and I'm not talking about video montages or a championship game, I'm talking about seeing 20 or so games of Harvey , Shore et al.
It's easy to just compare trophies and stats, but I like to base my opinions on what I've seen.

Yeah, that question keeps repeating. I guess many people are just stating their opinions based on pure stats, since i seriously doubt anyone here was around for Shore.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
The differences were mostly slight and more a reflection of era. Because there were so few teams, each team was deeper so one great player could do less. So Rollins and Bathgate were the best players in the league their years, but, even the best player in the league couldn't overcome teams with 4+ Hall of Famers on it.
you really think the differences were mostly slight?
it looks like art ross winners place higher in hart voting than they did before expansion.
today it is nearly a rule that the hart winner must make the playoffs. clearly not true 50 years ago. players from last place teams placed high fairly often and even won.
it may be similar with the smythe. 2 of the 1st 4 winners were from losing teams.

if al rollins was the best player in 54, and 2nd best in 53, why was he not a 1st or 2nd AS in either season?

moore set a new scoring record in 59, and was on the best team (and i think 59 habs may have set a league scoring record). today such a player wouldn't be behind 3 players who missed playoffs. 2 of those, 1 goalie and 1 forward, were from the worst team with worst GA and GF.
or, since beliveau was ahead of moore in hart voting, i could say that beliveau, who was so dominant, that he probably would have broken howe's scoring record if he had played a full season, wouldn't be behind a player from the worst team, who didn't make 1st all-star team.

charlie conacher was the art ross and richard winner in 34 for the best team, and 1st team all-star. but he wasn't in top 5 in hart voting. joliat won, who was 2nd team LW (conacher's linemate busher jackson was 1st all-star LW). charlie conacher was also behind worters (2nd team) and earl seibert (not all-star) would that happen today?

you don't think the best explanation is that most valuable to his team was much much more important than today?

The only major difference, is, as you said, alot more respect for the contributions of defencemen, which is, more than anything, a huge black mark on the face of current Hart voters. And, I would accept that as one point of argument for Lidstrom, but his career Hart votes are (2-5-14-34-28) And only 3 times was he the top d-man in Hart voting.
i agree. i think because of the norris trophy, dmen get less attention for the hart.
it may also be that because of the modern advances in team D and because of the relatively primitive nature of offense in early NHL, that dmen were more important then than in last several decades.
i was a little surprised to see how often hart voting among dmen and norris voting are inconsistent.

Forget about Tommy Anderson. Unless you have history books that explain that one, it just doesn't seem to make sense. I just assume it's due to a war depleted talent pool he had a career year. History will remember Jose Theodore much the same way, except they'll be lots of questions as to why there was virtually no top end talent from 00-04.
anderson did make the 1st all-star team, at least, which wasn't always the case for hart winners. when kennedy and rollins won, they weren't on 1st or 2nd AS team. several times the hart winner was on 2nd AS team.

Last edited:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Eddie Shore is one of only 3 players in NHL history that has won more than 3 Hart Trophies (Gretzky & Howe).

Lidstrom isn't passing Shore.

do you really think i didn't know that?
i don't think lidstrom could pass shore. i simply am not convinced the hart trophy=best player before recently.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did you watch Shore play, live?

No I didn't, but when you're considered the MVP of the league four times, and Lidstrom never has .... he's not passing him.

Now, of the defenseman I've personally seen play I would have would have Lidstrom 7th, behind Bourque, Potvin, Fetisov, Robinson, Chelios and Coffey.

Of those, only Coffey is debatable for me. I have the others clearly ahead of Lidstrom.

This isn't a knock on Lidstrom, he's an all-time great and someone that could play for me anyday. I just like the others a bit better.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Lidstrom's competition for the Norris in his first three Norris-winning seasons was pretty weak. The stretch from 2001-2004, for elite defencemen, was likely the worst since the final years of World War II, after Eddie Shore retired.

Look at who Lidstrom was beating. 2001: Bourque and Stevens. 2002: Chelios and Rob Blake. 2003: MacInnis and Derian Hatcher. Four defencemen in their late 30s/early 40s. A strong all-round defenceman who's a borderline HHOFer, but not one of the top 30 all-time at his position. And a defenceman who, for most of his career, was in the top 11-20 defencemen in the league, and had one outstanding year in a contract year.

Chris Pronger was playing hurt or on the DL for most of those three years. Scott Niedermayer's breakout didn't come until late in the 2002-03 season. Zubov? Great defenceman, but not an HHOFer. Leetch? Past his prime. Gonchar? It should tell you all you need to know about the state of the elite blue-liners from 1997 to 2004 when you see the defencemen who earned all-star births. (Two second-team births for DesJardins and Gonchar, one [a first-team birth at that] for Ozolinsh.

Lidstrom's competition has been much stronger the last couple years, thanks to Pronger's health (better, but not perfect) and Niedermayer's play, plus a strong season from Sergei Zubov.

Who did Doug Harvey beat for those seven Norris Trophies in eight years? Red Kelly. One of the top 10 defencemen of all-time, and likely one of the top 20 players of all-time. And Bill Gadsby, another top 20 defenceman of all-time.

Lidstrom might win five more Norris Trophies, because of the derth in elite defencemen drafted from 1994 to 2001. Who's going to step up and nab the Norris from Lidstrom among defencemen drafted in those years? Chara? He could. But that's it. This should be the time that the defencemen drafted in the mid-to-late 90s step up and take over the Norris balloting. Problem is, outside of Chara, none of them are good enough.

Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Phaneuf, Weber, and a lot of other really good defencemen have been drafted starting with 2002, but they're five years away from moving into elite category. Get used to seeing Lidstrom, Pronger and Niedermayer up for the Norris: it'll be a perennial occurence.

Do not confuse quality and quantity. Sure there's more players now. But that doesn't mean there are more elite, Norris-contending defencemen. Lots of good, not a lot of great. Gonchar might be the worst two-time all-star defenceman ever.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
how do you know hart=best player in the 30s?

If you're going to discount everyone elses accomplishments because they occured XX number of years ago then its pretty pointless to try and rank a player all time.

Considering Langway was the last pure defensive player to win the Norris in 25 years will people be saying the Norris winner from 1985-2010 didnt go to the best defenseman but one who put up big points.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Lidstrom is the fourth or fifth best defenseman I've seen play in the last 30+ seasons of watching hockey.

He simply isn't a Bourque or Potvin on the ice despite what the Professional Hockey Writing Association members vote. He isn't even a Larry Robinson.

Is Lidstrom as good as Langway? not defensively, despite how sublime Nick's skills may be. Overall, if looking at all-around talent, yes.

Guys like Langway, Chelios, Coffey, MacInnis, Stevens had excellences in aspects of their game but Lidstom could be said to be better: overall.

TOPGUN

I Am Terrible!
Jul 31, 2005
Holland
Lidstrom's competition for the Norris in his first three Norris-winning seasons was pretty weak. The stretch from 2001-2004, for elite defencemen, was likely the worst since the final years of World War II, after Eddie Shore retired.

Look at who Lidstrom was beating. 2001: Bourque and Stevens. 2002: Chelios and Rob Blake. 2003: MacInnis and Derian Hatcher. Four defencemen in their late 30s/early 40s. A strong all-round defenceman who's a borderline HHOFer, but not one of the top 30 all-time at his position. And a defenceman who, for most of his career, was in the top 11-20 defencemen in the league, and had one outstanding year in a contract year.

Chris Pronger was playing hurt or on the DL for most of those three years. Scott Niedermayer's breakout didn't come until late in the 2002-03 season. Zubov? Great defenceman, but not an HHOFer. Leetch? Past his prime. Gonchar? It should tell you all you need to know about the state of the elite blue-liners from 1997 to 2004 when you see the defencemen who earned all-star births. (Two second-team births for DesJardins and Gonchar, one [a first-team birth at that] for Ozolinsh.

Lidstrom's competition has been much stronger the last couple years, thanks to Pronger's health (better, but not perfect) and Niedermayer's play, plus a strong season from Sergei Zubov.

Who did Doug Harvey beat for those seven Norris Trophies in eight years? Red Kelly. One of the top 10 defencemen of all-time, and likely one of the top 20 players of all-time. And Bill Gadsby, another top 20 defenceman of all-time.

Lidstrom might win five more Norris Trophies, because of the derth in elite defencemen drafted from 1994 to 2001. Who's going to step up and nab the Norris from Lidstrom among defencemen drafted in those years? Chara? He could. But that's it. This should be the time that the defencemen drafted in the mid-to-late 90s step up and take over the Norris balloting. Problem is, outside of Chara, none of them are good enough.

Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Phaneuf, Weber, and a lot of other really good defencemen have been drafted starting with 2002, but they're five years away from moving into elite category. Get used to seeing Lidstrom, Pronger and Niedermayer up for the Norris: it'll be a perennial occurence.

Do not confuse quality and quantity. Sure there's more players now. But that doesn't mean there are more elite, Norris-contending defencemen. Lots of good, not a lot of great. Gonchar might be the worst two-time all-star defenceman ever.

Your name is God Bless Canada.

I bet, if Lidström was Canadien/played for Vancouver, we would see a different kind of post!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad