Blue Jays Discussion: Now is the winter of our (probable) discontent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
So Tinnish went from an Assistant GM with us to VP of scouting for the Braves...isn't that a demotion for him?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So Tinnish went from an Assistant GM with us to VP of scouting for the Braves...isn't that a demotion for him?

The guy he's replacing was Assistant GM, so they're probably just giving him that job and changing the title to VP so they can claim it's a promotion.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Xg9a6.gif

I love you, Dr. Zaius!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Dave Cameron of FanGraphs recently made a case that the Cardinals trading for Josh Donaldson might be smarter than attempting to trade for Giancarlo Stanton. His pitch? Trade three-time All-Star Matt Carpenter and infielder Jedd Gyorko for the Blue Jays' three-time All-Star third baseman.

I'm pro-Donaldson. I think he would be a great fit in St. Louis. I love his game.

But ...

I can't get on board with this one -- even if the Blue Jays dropped the company line that says Donaldson isn't going anywhere.

This deal would ask the Cardinals to give up a combined six years of Carpenter and Gyorko for one year of Donaldson, who will have the chance to enter free agency after the upcoming season. Sure, the Cardinals could try to re-sign Donaldson after his rental year. But that's no guarantee.

The move would not declutter a stuffed outfield. Instead it would leave the Cardinals with first base base options of Jose Martinez and Luke Voit, players
with promise but without track records that prove without a doubt they are ready for the assignment.

I know opinions on Carpenter, who is under contract through 2020 if the team picks up its option that season, run hot and cold around here. Carpenter fatigue is a real thing; just read the chats at STLtoday.com. I'm not one of the folks who thinks Carpenter can never be moved. But even Carpenter's critics -- and those who dismiss his shoulder injury last season -- should pause at the notion of giving up three seasons of Carpenter and three seasons of Gyorko for one year of Donaldson.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Perfect, we keep JD and they keep Carpenter and Gykro.

Cant be a concept they dont understand as a few years ago they traded 6 years of Jenkins and 4 years of Shelby Miller for 1 year of Jason Heyward. And we are talking about player who is much better than Heyward.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Ew.

I mean... Atlanta paying all of his salary and taking nothing back in return and the Jays switching him to a pure platoon role wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Average defense and no power or speed, but there's nothing wrong with a .360+ OBP from a cheap OF on the strong side of a platoon.

Still, though... ew.

Last edited:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
If they can get Markakis at a reduced rate to split time in one of the corner OF spots, I’m all for it.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If Atlanta takes on all or most of his salary, we give up nothing of consequence and he is a platoon/4th OF then im interested. Roughly a .360 OBP, has played 145 games or more in all his seasons except for 1, excellent K/BB, 3 seasons in a row with 38+ doubles, adequate base runner and defense in RF (prefer to just use him in LF). Anything over Zeke would be great.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The Buck Martinez Get Up alarm clock is all I've ever wanted really

284 days until September 9

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Markakis is one player that caught my eye in a positive way over his years in Baltimore. I'd welcome the addition.

Plus his uniform # is 22. My fav. Sorry Maile.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Blue Jays to honour Halladay on Opening Day - Article - TSN

The Toronto Blue Jays announced Wednesday they will honour Roy Halladay on Opening Day next season, commemorating his life and storied career during a pregame ceremony.

The Jays open the season at home against the New York Yankees March 29.

The team announced further details of the ceremony, as well as additional honours in Halladay's memory, will be announced in the coming months.

Halladay died earlier this month when his small sports plane crashed into the Gulf of Mexico.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Markakis probably wouldn't be that bad a stop gap. He really likes hitting in the rogers centre (1.340 OPS over the last 3 years and I remember him killing the jays quite a bit back in his Orioles days)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Markakis is one player that caught my eye in a positive way over his years in Baltimore. I'd welcome the addition.

Plus his uniform # is 22. My fav. Sorry Maile.

Markakis isn't the same player he was during his peak in Baltimore. He's been an average-at-best player for almost a decade now and he's been nothing more than a platoon/bench outfielder in Atlanta.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Markakis isn't the same player he was during his peak in Baltimore. He's been an average-at-best player for almost a decade now and he's been nothing more than a platoon/bench outfielder in Atlanta.

I'm aware of his current level of play. I wouldn't be against it is all I'm saying.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Markakis wouldn't be the worst acquisition. He would be a good platoon player for one of the corner OF spots. Maybe he and Hernandez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad