Blue Jays Discussion: Now is the winter of our (probable) discontent

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Normally we probably will keep closing discussion threads and refreshing at 1,000 posts. Just to keep things from getting too daunting. Part of the reason we didn't was a) I forgot and b) I didn't want to cut people off mid-conversation. But at 1,500 posts on the other thread, it seems like as good of a time as any. Also I somehow felt bad for potentially "moving on" from the Halladay memorial too soon.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
J244qJr.gif

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How could one get rid of Morales? Trade? Buyout?

Likely trade. More likely just to keep him than to buy him out.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that while he is essentially a pure DH, he is a switch hitter who almost put up decent numbers last year and could be a lot cheaper than some other power hitters out there. Just need to find a team who has a budget and needs a DH and you can probably work something out. We don't need all of his money out or anything really in return.

Reactions: HOTD

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Likely trade. More likely just to keep him than to buy him out.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that while he is essentially a pure DH, he is a switch hitter who almost put up decent numbers last year and could be a lot cheaper than some other power hitters out there. Just need to find a team who has a budget and needs a DH and you can probably work something out. We don't need all of his money out or anything really in return.

You're eating a bunch of salary in any Morales trade

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Yep. Best case scenario is probably something like Jays pay half his remaining salary and get nothing back.

I still think he'll end up in KC if they move him.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I’ve long had Kansas City as a possible landing spot for Morales should the Blue Jays trade him. They are essentially going to lose their whole team (minus a few) this offseason, and bringing back a recognizable face for the next two years at a reduced rate should interest them.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

That is fine. Eat as much as necessary and do not get anything in return. If it's worth the roster flexibility and the bit of cash you do free up, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Now if a buyout is cheaper, then that's a different story, but if, for example, Kansas City wants him back, then we can probably work out a deal that works for everyone.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jake Arrieta has already received a lot of interest as arguably the top free agent pitcher, or at least co-No. 1 with Yu Darvish. The Brewers, Twins, Blue Jays, Rockies, and Rangers are known to have checked in with agent Scott Boras.

Just how interested are the Red Sox in Giancarlo Stanton? - The Boston Globe

#1: Scott Boras, ew.

#2: I worry that teams/people will expect to sign 2015 Arrieta and not 2016/17 Arrieta who was a step below. Arrieta is also a guy who seems to usually outperform his peripherals, which always makes for a risk that the outperformance stops and suddenly the bottom falls out and you're paying ace-ish money for a #3/4 starter. Steamer, for example, is projecting him for a 4+ ERA and FIP next season in a performance that's closer to Orioles Arrieta than it is to Cubs Arrieta.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) — Major league teams were given homework this weekend by Shohei Ohtani.

The agent for the star pitcher and outfielder asked for written explanations in English and Japanese on how Ohtani would fit into each organization intending to bid and what makes the team attractive, according to details obtained by The Associated Press.

The memo from Nez Balelo, co-head of CAA Baseball, was distributed to all 30 teams by the commissioner's office late Friday along with materials for the Dec. 1 vote on a new posting agreement between Major League Baseball and Nippon Professional Baseball. If the deal is approved, the 23-year-old is expected to be put up for bid later that day or the following day.

Balelo's memo asks for a team to evaluate Ohtani's talent as a pitcher and as a hitter; to explain its player development, medical training and player performance philosophies and facilities; to describe its minor league and spring training facilities; to detail resources for Ohtani's cultural assimilation into the team's city; to demonstrate a vision for how Ohtani could integrate into the team's organization; and to tell Ohtani why the team is a desirable place to play.

Each team was asked to provide its answers in both languages as soon as possible. Clubs were told not to include any financial terms of a possible contract.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I dont believe Ohtani will be a Blue Jay but as long as he isnt a Yankee or Red Sox ill be fine. Having him out in Seattle or with the Dodgers would be preferable.

Reactions: supermann_98

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Just like we missed out on Vladimir Guerrero Jr. too, right?

Vlad Jr's situation is a lot different from Darvish/Tanaka/Ohtani. Even with Ohtani where the IFA restrictions apply, he'll be looking at teams that can offer him the highest second contract. Those were (and are) instant contributors to the team, while Vlad has spent two years in the org and just got done dominating A+.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I will be honest I watched the game, supported and cheered for the Argos because they represent our city. It was a fun game to watch and enjoyed it compared to the crappy games that were being played in the NFL yesterday.

That being said had Toronto not been in the Grey Cup I wouldn't have watched it, and I agree whole heartedly that Toronto deserves an NFL franchise. It would thrive here, and we have proven that we will support major sport franchises (Leafs, Raps, TFC) in all other major sport circles. The problem is that we do not have a commissioner in the NFL that cares about doing whats right, he only cares about his wallet and acting as a law enforcer, rather then expanding to markets that make sense.

Vegas? Mexico City? Tennessee? Buffalo? Carolina? Cleveland? Jacksonville?

This are all American places that either have or have been discussed as possible NFL franchises!!! What exactly to they have that Toronto doesn't? Goodell is an idiot, he has an entire countries market in Canada to profit off of if he puts a team in Toronto. He is just so anti-Canadian as Trump is that an NFL franchise will never be given on his watch. And it really makes no sense for the league. Really dumb.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Apparently, the Orioles are thinking about starting 2018 with Chance the Catcher in the Majors. He's considered a top 5 catching prospect in baseball. The Cardinals are likely to do the same with Carson Kelly (splitting time with Yadier), and the Indians will do the same with Francisco Mejia (C\3B\DH).

Catcher A (22 years old in 2017): AAA - .333 wOBA, 107 wRC+, .128 ISO (2.3 WARP)
Catcher B (22 years old in 2017): A+/AA/AAA - .398 wOBA, 150 wRC+, .160 ISO (3.9 WARP)
Catcher C (22 years old in 2017): AA - .383 wOBA, 137 wRC+, .188 ISO (2.0 WARP)
Catcher D (22 years old in 2017): AA - .367 wOBA, 127 wRC+, .193 ISO (3.8 WARP)
Catcher E (23 years old in 2017): AAA - .370 wOBA, 120 wRC+, .176 ISO (3.0 WARP)

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Apparently, the Orioles are thinking about starting 2018 with Chance the Catcher in the Majors. He's considered a top 5 catching prospect in baseball. The Cardinals are likely to do the same with Carson Kelly (splitting time with Yadier), and the Indians will do the same with Francisco Mejia (C\3B\DH).

Catcher A (22 years old in 2017): AAA - .333 wOBA, 107 wRC+, .128 ISO (2.3 WARP)
Catcher B (22 years old in 2017): A+/AA/AAA - .398 wOBA, 150 wRC+, .160 ISO (3.9 WARP)
Catcher C (22 years old in 2017): AA - .383 wOBA, 137 wRC+, .188 ISO (2.0 WARP)
Catcher D (22 years old in 2017): AA - .367 wOBA, 127 wRC+, .193 ISO (3.8 WARP)
Catcher E (23 years old in 2017): AAA - .370 wOBA, 120 wRC+, .176 ISO (3.0 WARP)

Catcher A is Chance Cisco
Catcher B is Danny Jansen
Catcher C I'm not sure.
Catcher D is Francisco Mejia
Catcher E is Carson Kelly

I get what you are saying! Both Danny Jansen or Reese McGuire put up similar numbers to some of the best catching prospects in the game, and those top prospects are in line to compete for/win MLB jobs and therefore it should mean that Jansen and McGuire should be valued similarly and could be in-line for MLB gigs this upcoming year. I think both are better off starting in the minors though, ensuring lots of game reps and further showing/proving that they are ready for the majors. Jansen has just 1 year of high-end performance on his resume, want to see him do it again. McGuire didn't play much last year due to injury, would like to see his power growth continue over a larger sample. Both players look promising and it's super encouraging to see they're growth this past year. The Jays future at arguably the most demanding and one of the more important positions looks bright! A stop-gap backup catcher for this year would be my preferred addition this offseason, a guy like Nick Hundley or Hector Sanchez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad