Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Catcher A is Chance Cisco
Catcher B is Danny Jansen
Catcher C I'm not sure.
Catcher D is Francisco Mejia
Catcher E is Carson Kelly

I get what you are saying! Both Danny Jansen or Reese McGuire put up similar numbers to some of the best catching prospects in the game, and those top prospects are in line to compete for/win MLB jobs and therefore it should mean that Jansen and McGuire should be valued similarly and could be in-line for MLB gigs this upcoming year. I think both are better off starting in the minors though, ensuring lots of game reps and further showing/proving that they are ready for the majors. Jansen has just 1 year of high-end performance on his resume, want to see him do it again. McGuire didn't play much last year due to injury, would like to see his power growth continue over a larger sample. Both players look promising and it's super encouraging to see they're growth this past year. The Jays future at arguably the most demanding and one of the more important positions looks bright! A stop-gap backup catcher for this year would be my preferred addition this offseason, a guy like Nick Hundley or Hector Sanchez.

C is actually Reese McGuire (though it looks like it includes his numbers at all levels).

I don't think he's suggesting they should be in the majors to start the season, only that guys who perform at that level are generally considered elite catchers at the position and are ready for major league duty. The Jays have the luxury of letting them spend some extra time in the minors perfecting their craft (assuming Martin is healthy, of course).

Reactions: Garlando

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
NFL is trash - I'm happy we don't have a franchise

I agree, though yesterday had some fun moments. What other sport are going to see ten guys hit the electric slide on the playing surface?

slide.0.gif

eagles_last_dance.gif

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I gain nothing from taking back Matt Carpenter in a deal. Though I like him, it doesn't make sense or align with the reasons I'm trading Donaldson in the first place.

For me, its one of Wong\Gyorko (likely prefer Gyorko for the positional flexibility) + Weaver + O'Neill (for the average Canadian fan to have a fun toy to play with to ease their loss of their gritty star). Which is fair, as they get to keep their top prospect (Reyes), their current lineup centerpiece(Carpenter), and avoid a logjam in the infield. Anything short of that, and it doesn't make sense from a Jays' perspective.

STL fans would likely not want to trade Weaver, but they can kick rocks. When one considers I can simply keep my MVP third baseman, my hand is not forced to take anything but quality that helps my franchise achieve its goals on a ST\LT basis; so they (and Dave Cameron) can go **** themselves.

Reactions: phillipmike

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
As much as I'd love to rip that trade idea....I mean, that's got shapkins written all over it.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
As much as I'd love to rip that trade idea....I mean, that's got shapkins written all over it.

Oh, zeke. I know you prefer your imaginary version of management who always does the opposite of what you want them to do so you can justify your hatred, but that trade example is literally the exact opposite of the type of move we should expect based on everything in Mark Shapiro's history of trading away star players and players on expiring contracts.

I mean... unless you see Teoscar Hernandez and Carlos Carrasco and Corey Kluber and Carlos Santana and Michael Brantley and Cliff Lee and Shin-Soo Choo and Asdrubal Cabrera and Travis Hafner and Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips and Coco Crisp at the times of their acquisitions as similar players to what Gyorko and Carpenter are now. Personally, I think it's a little silly to make a comparison like that, but we do have a tendency to disagree on this kind of stuff, so who knows.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I gain nothing from taking back Matt Carpenter in a deal. Though I like him, it doesn't make sense or align with the reasons I'm trading Donaldson in the first place.

For me, its one of Wong\Gyorko (likely prefer Gyorko for the positional flexibility) + Weaver + O'Neill (for the average Canadian fan to have a fun toy to play with to ease their loss of their gritty star). Which is fair, as they get to keep their top prospect (Reyes), their current lineup centerpiece(Carpenter), and avoid a logjam in the infield. Anything short of that, and it doesn't make sense from a Jays' perspective.

STL fans would likely not want to trade Weaver, but they can kick rocks. When one considers I can simply keep my MVP third baseman, my hand is not forced to take anything but quality that helps my franchise achieve its goals on a ST\LT basis; so they (and Dave Cameron) can go **** themselves.

My thoughts exactly. Would attempt to squeeze out an OF too as they have a long jam.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Let’s Figure Out a Cardinals Trade for Josh Donaldson | FanGraphs Baseball

Gyorko and Carpenter for Donaldson. I like Carpenter a lot. But no thanks. Tack on a top prospect and it starts to make a little sense for the Jays.

Any trade/UFA signing think "younger and more athletic" ... which is good cause maybe we will actually have a baseball team and not a HR Derby competition team.

Why are the Jays in on Arreitta? (sp) For the adv stats guys, is there something in his underlying numbers that suggests he is still the Jake of 2 seasons ago and not the Jake of last season?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Oh, zeke. I know you prefer your imaginary version of management who always does the opposite of what you want them to do so you can justify your hatred, but that trade example is literally the exact opposite of the type of move we should expect based on everything in Mark Shapiro's history of trading away star players and players on expiring contracts.

I mean... unless you see Teoscar Hernandez and Carlos Carrasco and Corey Kluber and Carlos Santana and Michael Brantley and Cliff Lee and Shin-Soo Choo and Asdrubal Cabrera and Travis Hafner and Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips and Coco Crisp at the times of their acquisitions as similar players to what Gyorko and Carpenter are now. Personally, I think it's a little silly to make a comparison like that, but we do have a tendency to disagree on this kind of stuff, so who knows.

So what you are saying is Shapiro likes guys with the letter C in their names? Hmmm Carpenter eh?

Reactions: doorman

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Probably we are not going to see Bautista and Morales back with this club, just wondering how the Jays going to fill those spots

- Internally
- Free agency
- Via Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad