Now is probably the time to finally go all-in

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This team needs more than a 1D. The system is a ****ing tire fire.

Yeah, it's not great and I've been harping on it for a while (the f***ing 1-1-3 won't ever f***ing die and just go away). However, a true #1 makes a massive difference. Think of Karlsson, OEL, Doughty, or any other elite defenseman. They are able to exit the defensive zone on their own and control the pace very well, and I don't mean exit the zone how Leddy does. I mean, if they are battling for the puck in the corner they're able to win the battle alone and then move up and out of the zone. Our defense plays hot potato with the puck because nobody has that ability. Leddy's best defensive move is to pin the player to the wall and wait for help because he can't win it on his own...or he just chases the player around slapping at the puck hoping to create a scenario where his skating can take over. It calms the whole play down and allows for controlled exits of the zone if you have a Doughty back there. It would also bump Leddy down to the second pairing (presumably) and that would help immensely.

Reactions: BTrotts19

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Yeah, it's not great and I've been harping on it for a while (the ****ing 1-1-3 won't ever ****ing die and just go away). However, a true #1 makes a massive difference. Think of Karlsson, OEL, Doughty, or any other elite defenseman. They are able to exit the defensive zone on their own and control the pace very well, and I don't mean exit the zone how Leddy does. I mean, if they are battling for the puck in the corner they're able to win the battle alone and then move up and out of the zone. Our defense plays hot potato with the puck because nobody has that ability. Leddy's best defensive move is to pin the player to the wall and wait for help because he can't win it on his own...or he just chases the player around slapping at the puck hoping to create a scenario where his skating can take over. It calms the whole play down and allows for controlled exits of the zone if you have a Doughty back there. It would also bump Leddy down to the second pairing (presumably) and that would help immensely.
I agree, but a 1D would just mask the issues instead of actually fixing them.

Reactions: periferal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I agree, but a 1D would just mask the issues instead of actually fixing them.

That's largely true. I really don't like the system the team employs at all. I'm a fan of the "boring" style of play.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That's largely true. I really don't like the system the team employs at all. I'm a fan of the "boring" style of play.
It doesn't have to be one or the other, does it? Capuano's teams would either not show up in the first period and claw their way back (sound familiar) or get a 1 goal lead in the second period and try to protect it for the rest of the game.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It doesn't have to be one or the other, does it? Capuano's teams would either not show up in the first period and claw their way back (sound familiar) or get a 1 goal lead in the second period and try to protect it for the rest of the game.

You can mix and match, sure, but it needs the systems need to compliment each other from defensive zone to neutral zone to the offensive zone, etc. I know a bit about the different strategies but not enough to suggest inventing a new one that nobody else is employing. Any particular coach's style you want implemented here?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You can mix and match, sure, but it needs the systems need to compliment each other from defensive zone to neutral zone to the offensive zone, etc. I know a bit about the different strategies but not enough to suggest inventing a new one that nobody else is employing. Any particular coach's style you want implemented here?
Not so much a style but the players we use. Like Ho-Sang's game or not but when we sent him down last month we became a 2 line team, much easier to defend against. Opponents can now put a checking line up against the JT line to try to shut them down, and try to defend against Barzal (who looks like he's played some games lately with no gas in his tank) by going at him aggressively and giving him no room to move. I say again as I've said all season, bring Ho-Sang back, put him with Nelson who he had a little chemistry with, and live with the mistakes. The giveaways aren't happening any less since we sent JHS down but we are scoring less.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Not so much a style but the players we use. Like Ho-Sang's game or not but when we sent him down last month we became a 2 line team, much easier to defend against. Opponents can now put a checking line up against the JT line to try to shut them down, and try to defend against Barzal (who looks like he's played some games lately with no gas in his tank) by going at him aggressively and giving him no room to move. I say again as I've said all season, bring Ho-Sang back, put him with Nelson who he had a little chemistry with, and live with the mistakes. The giveaways aren't happening any less since we sent JHS down but we are scoring less.
Bingo. Replacing JHS with Quine/Prince/Fritz/Bernier is not going to improve this team. Turnovers or not.

Reactions: Costigan77

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I just do not see the way Isles play can get them close to a cup this year. They definently have talents but are missing some key pieces and most of all, they do not have a proven D like what they got in St. Louis. Isles need to look past Tavares and this year.

Hopefully Tavares signs but they can't gut the future to gamble on him staying. There are so many talented young players in this league and also available for draft in the upcoming next two years. If you look closely at the AHL team, there is not a lot there so they really need to rethink how they can move forward.

You can't get to playoff and stay there without sound goaltending and a very talented defense. Despite having Tavares young Barzal and Lee, this team does not have Crosby, Malkin plus Cassle so Isles can't yet compare to Pittsburg. They are closer to St. Louis forward group level but without the D and G which make the Blues consistenly a solid team.

They have to take a shot at lottery chance to one of the top D studs available in this year's draft. In fact I would recommend to hold on to both 1st round picks. It is time to pay attention how St. Louis built their in house defense.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Let's just stand pat while our best player in the last 30 years leaves. Great plan guys. Let's rebuild for the 200X.
So we’re going to trade for two bottom 6 players, 2 defensemen, a #1 goalie, a real coaching staff, and a real GM mid season? Because that’s everything this team needs to not suck.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
So we’re going to trade for two bottom 6 players, 2 defensemen, a #1 goalie, a real coaching staff, and a real GM mid season? Because that’s everything this team needs to not suck.
lol
I agree we need at least that.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
i understand your point. However do you really think this team is one player away ?

No. And I don't think they need to add high priced pieces. #3C, 2 NHL caliber D.

Halak has been fine. The team plays ZERO defense in front of him.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
No. And I don't think they need to add high priced pieces. #3C, 2 NHL caliber D.

Halak has been fine. The team plays ZERO defense in front of him.
So we need 2 bottom 6 players, 2 defensemen, a GM, and a coaching staff. Much better.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
So we need 2 bottom 6 players, 2 defensemen, a GM, and a coaching staff. Much better.

Much better coaching staff? Go look at our 3rd line and bottom 4 D. They are garbage. This isn't on Weight. It's on Snow. But they have two legit lines and a decent 4th line and 2-3 good D. It's not like we need to add superstars, just quality NHL caliber players.

I'm not ok with another losing season. I've had enough. We moved Hamonic for picks. Now move those picks for a #3C that kills penalties and a defenseman. Go get Gabransson / Hjalmersson.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
The only thing this team should be going all in for is finding a team President. Winning starts at the top. L&M have built successful businesses. You would think they would recognize how important leadership is. Let's hold onto those draft picks until we have someone competent to use them.

Reactions: 12Dog

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Much better coaching staff? Go look at our 3rd line and bottom 4 D. They are garbage. This isn't on Weight. It's on Snow. But they have two legit lines and a decent 4th line and 2-3 good D. It's not like we need to add superstars, just quality NHL caliber players.

I'm not ok with another losing season. I've had enough. We moved Hamonic for picks. Now move those picks for a #3C that kills penalties and a defenseman. Go get Gabransson / Hjalmersson.
The D looks horrible because the system is horrible. That falls on coaching. Special teams also suck and that is on coaching. Snow and all of his cronies need to go.

Reactions: Frankie41987

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
The D looks horrible because the system is horrible. That falls on coaching. Special teams also suck and that is on coaching. Snow and all of his cronies need to go.

Sure it's partially the system, but our D can't even do the simple things like clearing the puck on the PK, sticking with their men on even rushes and on 2-1's taking away the pass lane. Mayfield, Hickey,Seidenberg, Pelech and Pulock are the WORST bottom 4 pairing I have ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00