OT: Nova Scotia Habs Fans (Forest Fires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnTheBaptist

We are brothers/sisters and of the Divine Source
Nov 13, 2022
Given the weather/drought conditions at the time it was absolutely conceivable to me that as many forest fires started at once. It was some kind of perfect storm situation. Unfortunately the weather didn't quite cooperate to help extinguish the fires quickly afterwards.
So you didn't see the satellite images of the fires starting simultaneously on a day with no overhead clouds? It wasn't lightning as per satellite imaging, so what was it? What's this "perfect storm" you're talking about?

Reactions: cphabs

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
So you didn't see the satellite images of the fires starting simultaneously on a day with no overhead clouds? It wasn't lightning as per satellite imaging, so what was it? What's this "perfect storm" you're talking about?
What? Scattered lightning happened on June 1. Smoke plumes started showing up on satellite imagery on the next day. Forest fires don't start showing up instantly on visible satellite imagery as what we see are smoke plumes, so trees need to burn for that. Infrared satellite imagery can also pick up on hot spots if the fires are large enough and infrared picks up on temperature.

The perfect storm I'm talking about is drought conditions mixed forests primed with fuel at the end of the spring and scattered and frequent lightning. That will trigger forest fires.

For some fires, like the ones that happen in NS in late May, they will be lit due to arson or negligence. However lots of fires are lit naturally, by lightning. There is no conspiracy here.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Barrington Lake fire was started by teens/20 year olds on all terrain vehicles in backwoods. Partying and drinking, Burning old car tires. No charges laid

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Barrington Lake fire was started by teens/20 year olds on all terrain vehicles in backwoods. Partying and drinking, Burning old car tires. No charges laid
That seems odd, if they were over the age of 18 they should have been tried in criminal court as adults but to get off scot-free seems awful gentle with the magnitude of damage incurred by the fires. I don't want to get another "warning" so I won't go further.

It's arson. Those of us who know, we know who's behind this. The rest are asleep unfortunately.
I believe that where there's smoke there's fire but I can't say more because well, you know.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That seems odd, if they were over the age of 18 they should have been tried in criminal court as adults but to get off scot-free seems awful gentle with the magnitude of damage incurred by the fires. I don't want to get another "warning" so I won't go further.
Worst part is one of them took videos of fire starting and posted on Facebook. Still no charges. Largest fire in province's history.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Worst part is one of them took videos of fire starting and posted on Facebook. Still no charges. Largest fire in province's history.

If these fires led to houses being burned down, I hope the videos end up in the hands of the insurance company, because this would be a disaster if true.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
...Geez, I just wanted to bump that thread due to the rain situation in Nova Scotia and I ended up with the bonus of now having a slightly better understanding as to why we're seeing more and more ridiculous hockey takes lately.

Someone on my direct team at work lost their house in the Nova Scotia Forest Fires.. so to have people come in here and talk about f***ing conspiracy theories as to why these fires are starting, it's so f***ing mind meltingly stupid and dangerous.

I'm sure the same arsonist just flooded the streets, too.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Someone on my direct team at work lost their house in the Nova Scotia Forest Fires.. so to have people come in here and talk about f***ing conspiracy theories as to why these fires are starting, it's so f***ing mind meltingly stupid and dangerous.

My nephew lost near everything in Barrington Lake fire. Saved his camper and collector car. He is devastated. No insurance. House, shed, 4 wheeler, tractor. All gone

• Wow
Reactions: MXD

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
...Geez, I just wanted to bump that thread due to the rain situation in Nova Scotia and I ended up with the bonus of now having a slightly better understanding as to why we're seeing more and more ridiculous hockey takes lately.
I was reading diagonally and came away with a conspiracy Justin is riding around on a 4 wheeler at night across Canada setting fires so he can charge more carbon taxes. I’m sad, I was here to give Maritimers my thoughts and read up maybe first-hand accounts.

Heck I will anyway. Stay safe, people, and I’ll add stay sane.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I was reading diagonally and came away with a conspiracy Justin is riding around on a 4 wheeler at night across Canada setting fires so he can charge more carbon taxes. I’m sad, I was here to give Maritimers my thoughts and read up maybe first-hand accounts.

Heck I will anyway. Stay safe, people, and I’ll add stay sane.
Its actually justin riding around on flamethrower drones, get it right.

*rolls coal in my 1997 Silverado on my way out*

Reactions: Naslundforever

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Here in BC we have had a ton of fires started by the usual suspects again. Most of it has been lightening and combine that with the forest mismanagement of our pathetic provincial government and boom.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I have seen fires that have been started by lightning and I have seen fires that have been started by arson. When I was a kid there was a massive fire in my region of NFLD which burned 800 plus acres and at first, lightning was believed to be the culprit but that wasn't the case once the investigation concluded. Two people having a campfire in the dead of summer walked away and didn't take enough care to ensure that the fire was out, the wind picked up and the rest is history, so yes, it does happen.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have seen fires that have been started by lightning and I have seen fires that have been started by arson. When I was a kid there was a massive fire in my region of NFLD which burned 800 plus acres and at first, lightning was believed to be the culprit but that wasn't the case once the investigation concluded. Two people having a campfire in the dead of summer walked away and didn't take enough care to ensure that the fire was out, the wind picked up and the rest is history, so yes, it does happen.
Thats not arson though, and thats very different from people saying multiple fires burning massive extents of wood were started by one singular entity.

Gigantic fires happen all the time, it has been one of my main area of research during my undergrad, you would be surprised how fast fires start in nature and for no particular reasons. Its how nature works, burn and repeat. (The problem of course is the speed and intensity at which these fires occur now, just like most climate crisis results.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Yes, I'm not discrediting it could be from Arson, or from lightning, or from people having an unsupervised fire that got out of control.

It's the bolded nonsense that I have an issue with.

"It's arson. Those of us who know, we know who's behind this. The rest are asleep unfortunately."

These forest fires aren't some f***ing giant conspiracy with the government or lizard people setting fires for alternative, nefarious reasons.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Thats not arson though, and thats very different from people saying multiple fires burning massive extents of wood were started by one singular entity.

Gigantic fires happen all the time, it has been one of my main area of research during my undergrad, you would be surprised how fast fires start in nature and for no particular reasons. Its how nature works, burn and repeat. (The problem of course is the speed and intensity at which these fires occur now, just like most climate crisis results.
I believe that walking away from a fire that hasn't been properly extinguished in the heat of summer that ends up burning out of control is every bit as bad as arson. There have been plenty of rumors that the Hammonds plains fires were the result of careless behavior and if true, it should not go unpunished.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yes, I'm not discrediting it could be from Arson, or from lightning, or from people having an unsupervised fire that got out of control.

It's the bolded nonsense that I have an issue with.

"It's arson. Those of us who know, we know who's behind this. The rest are asleep unfortunately."

These forest fires aren't some f***ing giant conspiracy with the government or lizard people setting fires for alternative, nefarious reasons.
You know what man, everyone is entitled to their opinion on this board, and I have read many things here over the years that I didn't agree with and I have said many things that people didn't agree with, that is commonplace amongst a group of people that get together on a regular basis to discuss things. Anyway, moving on.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You know what man, everyone is entitled to their opinion on this board, and I have read many things here over the years that I didn't agree with and I have said many things that people didn't agree with, that is commonplace amongst a group of people that get together on a regular basis to discuss things. Anyway, moving on.

Yeah but I'm not gonna let that dude come around and peddle his conspiracy theory nonsense, especially not around something that impacted me directly.

He just bumped a long covid thread in the Sciences forum. He's just another red-pilled, QANon, moron trying to get more people down his path of delusion.

That person needs help from a mental health professional, not be deluded into thinking his constant conspiracy theories are the truth, or something that is an allowable opinion to spread among the public, that he sees and the rest of the 'sheeple' don't.

• Love
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad