OT: Nova Scotia Habs Fans (Forest Fires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
RCMP in Cape Breton issued two tickets for illegal burning since the ban came in. $25,000 each. It's not a beating with sticks but that's a pretty good deterrent.
Yes it is. As long as it's enforced , for most people they would rather take a few hits from a ball bat than payout 25 grand, so deterrence achieved.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
No theyre not, theres a whole lot more that needs to be done and its gonna cost you, him, others and me a lot more money.

Were all going to have to make a decision, well we should have made that decision years ago, realistically.

You serious right now? Thats just dishonest and asinine.

Use your brain buddy, rural areas are mostly conservative, it doesnt take a genius to know that theres not gonna be a fire in the middle of the GTA or GMA.

Arson is possible, also just carelesness, also just dumb nature, or a million other factors. The problem isnt how this very fire started, its why theres been so many lately, and the size and frequency.

People from top to bottom are being stupid about the ongoing climate crisis.

Lets keep eating cows, drinking milk, buying shit at dollorama and gurgling down gas in that f250 to go to dollorama.

No they wont, but its better than nothing.

no, taxes won't help fires sorry. All our brutal fires in BC were from lightening, do you want to tax Zeus?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hmmm. So we have a weather warning now due to " soaking rains ". Lol, oh no, how terrible, 40-80 mm of rain for NS.

I'm afraid we have other places to pray for now though.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hmmm. So we have a weather warning now due to " soaking rains ". Lol, oh no, how terrible, 40-80 mm of rain for NS.9

I'm afraid we have other places to pray for now though. But these fire crews are amazing and will get them out,,

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not even close.

This other fire is I'd just passed Calabogie, which might be more known, but still a small town.

The fire there has gone from 4 hectares to 50.
Lots of fires across Canada. Watching the National last night. Around 30,000 Canadians evacuated. 50 hectacres not that major though. Fire here was 25,000 hectacres. For a tiny province in area. Rain beats the snot out of it.

Canada in general needs to increase its fire fighting equipment. Due to change in climate. Nova Scotia wasn't prepared for nothing like this. Why fire got so big. It lacked the equipment to cut it off early. We got lucky 3 days of steady rain here saved us. Wasn't for that fire would have been way worst. Fire crews couldn't do nothing with it. I went to school with local fire chief. He called it "the beast".

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Lots of fires across Canada. Watching the National last night. Around 30,000 Canadians evacuated. 50 hectacres not that major though. Fire here was 25,000 hectacres. For a tiny province in area. Rain beats the snot out of it.

Canada in general needs to increase its fire fighting equipment. Due to change in climate. Nova Scotia wasn't prepared for nothing like this. Why fire got so big. It lacked the equipment to cut it off early. We got lucky 3 days of steady rain here saved us. Wasn't for that fire would have been way worst. Fire crews couldn't do nothing with it. I went to school with local fire chief. He called it "the beast".
Yeah it just started yesterday and has grown that much in such a short time.

It's dry as f*** here and it was likely caused by idiots from Ottawa. People in cities think rules don't apply to them when they go somewhere else.

Same with out west I'm Alberta, people got charged for intentionally setting the fire.

It's smokey at my house because of the fire. Hopefully this one gets under control. There's some rain forecast, but not enough until Saturday.

Canada also needs to look into pre burning some of the forest debris to prevent this, but that's likely way too hard to do given the vast area of forest in 1 province let alone across the country.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
no, taxes won't help fires sorry. All our brutal fires in BC were from lightening, do you want to tax Zeus?
Reducing carbon emission is unequivocally the most important challenge of humanity.

This shit isnt a joke, man. Yes, more needs to be done for the ultra-rich, the corporations and developping countries, but a joint-effort is a must.

Taxation is one way to get people to slow down. I think the last century and a half is pretty clear indication that you cannot let humanity do as it pleases.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Reducing carbon emission is unequivocally the most important challenge of humanity.

This shit isnt a joke, man. Yes, more needs to be done for the ultra-rich, the corporations and developping countries, but a joint-effort is a must.

Taxation is one way to get people to slow down. I think the last century and a half is pretty clear indication that you cannot let humanity do as it pleases.
Individuals are not the problem in the slightest

Reactions: ngc_5128

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Never been so happy to have a rainy weekend.

Have colleagues and family that were evacuated. Work last week was 5 days of juggling infrastructure to support part of the population impacted by the fires in HRM and Shelburne County.

I'd be fine with a permanent burn ban, but the province is going to have to sit down and budget for our own fleet of water bombers.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Individuals are not the problem in the slightest
What do you mean? Individuals as in you and I ?

I live pretty modestly, I have a 500 sq. Feet appartment, I use my car a few times a week and I have reduced my animal consumption to about 150g a day of meat, four farm grown eggs and 100g of yogurt. I also try to grow at least a bit of veggies myself.

If thats what you meant by individuals, sure. Thats a perfectly reasonable way of living and if the 8 billions of us lived like this, Im sure wed be good. Even without large societal change.

Most people dont though.

Its a very easy, and lazy, cop out to say that "the system" is the problem.

• Love
Reactions: Kaiden Ghoul

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
What do you mean? Individuals as in you and I ?

I live pretty modestly, I have a 500 sq. Feet appartment, I use my car a few times a week and I have reduced my animal consumption to about 150g a day of meat, four farm grown eggs and 100g of yogurt. I also try to grow at least a bit of veggies myself.

If thats what you meant by individuals, sure. Thats a perfectly reasonable way of living and if the 8 billions of us lived like this, Im sure wed be good. Even without large societal change.

Most people dont though.

Its a very easy, and lazy, cop out to say that "the system" is the problem.
Yeah that is what I meant by individuals

Bolded I don’t agree with necessarily, individual contributions will never move the needle and we have been brainwashed to think it will by corporations and people who are beholden to China

Anyway, glad you guys are all safe

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

Stop it, taxation without gov't control and oversight is just a nothingburger and you know it. Our tax dollars never go to the appropriate funding needs, and never will. Carbon capture devices make sense, taxing the snot out of people and never making headwing or a goal is just an awful idea. If we are so worried about carbon, why are we dealing with countries that do not care about it and do not tax at the same rate, or even at all. Do you want to break Canada even further by making the economic playing field that uneven that we rely on every other country to produce items, because of a stupid carbon tax turning us into a third world? You really think more carbon tax on fuel and heating your home is going to change a thing, while the politicians fly around the world emitting as much co2 as they want, while you pay for it? Come on, it's more than this. What do you have planned for Volcanic activity and farmers? You don't really believe politicians are here to save us do you?

• Love
Reactions: OldCraig71

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah it just started yesterday and has grown that much in such a short time.

It's dry as f*** here and it was likely caused by idiots from Ottawa. People in cities think rules don't apply to them when they go somewhere else.

Same with out west I'm Alberta, people got charged for intentionally setting the fire.

It's smokey at my house because of the fire. Hopefully this one gets under control. There's some rain forecast, but not enough until Saturday.

Canada also needs to look into pre burning some of the forest debris to prevent this, but that's likely way too hard to do given the vast area of forest in 1 province let alone across the country.
I remember looking at old photos of my community from 100+ years ago. There wasn't a tree in sight around the houses. I think old timers did this to protect houses against fires. No fire departments back then. Wildfires couldn't get near houses that way. They smart those old guys

That and everybody had wood burning stoves back then. Took nearest wood first for heat in winter

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Stop it, taxation without gov't control and oversight is just a nothingburger and you know it. Our tax dollars never go to the appropriate funding needs, and never will. Carbon capture devices make sense, taxing the snot out of people and never making headwing or a goal is just an awful idea. If we are so worried about carbon, why are we dealing with countries that do not care about it and do not tax at the same rate, or even at all. Do you want to break Canada even further by making the economic playing field that uneven that we rely on every other country to produce items, because of a stupid carbon tax turning us into a third world? You really think more carbon tax on fuel and heating your home is going to change a thing, while the politicians fly around the world emitting as much co2 as they want, while you pay for it? Come on, it's more than this. What do you have planned for Volcanic activity and farmers? You don't really believe politicians are here to save us do you?
I do not give a flying f*** about the economic ramifications. Not being able to afford a toaster is gonna look very frugal when you dont have water, a place to live or food.

Reactions: Toene

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Taxes won't help preventing fires, but it sure help fire fighting. More fire starting each year, means more fire to fight each year, so you need more man power and equipment to do that. It come down to financing and... taxes.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
20230605_133501.jpg

I don't think you fan see it because of my crap camera on my phone, but there's a bit of a smoke mist and the clouds are somewhat covered because of it.

My kids soccer had been canceled because of air quality.

It's moving this way. Wife wants to get a lot of things packed just incase, but I'm not so sure it will reach here before the rain on Saturday, but that rain could easily disappear.

Doesn't help that one area battling has 8 firefighters total.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Taxes won't help preventing fires, but it sure help fire fighting. More fire starting each year, means more fire to fight each year, so you need more man power and equipment to do that. It come down to financing and... taxes.
Sure, match the money and aid we are giving to the Ukraine so we can address our issues here at home, I'm all for it

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I do not give a flying f*** about the economic ramifications. Not being able to afford a toaster is gonna look very frugal when you dont have water, a place to live or food.
You ignored the gist of what he was saying. It has become a do as I say not as I do world where the people at the bottom are being forced to take responsibility for everything that is wrong in the world while those at the top continue to make the largest contribution to the world's problems.

During the annual meeting in May last year, 1,040 private jets flew in and out of airports serving the Swiss mountain resort, releasing four times the average weekly CO2 emissions from this highly polluting mode of travel.Jan 17, 2023

The whole system is corrupt but if the people at the bottom would just park or sell their cars and start eating bugs it would make everything better lol.

• Wow
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
While there is no fires here in Ottawa the air has become terrible in the last couple of days from fires north of us in Quebec. There is a thick orange haze and you can see and smell the smoke particles everywhere. Insane.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
While there is no fires here in Ottawa the air has become terrible in the last couple of days from fires north of us in Quebec. There is a thick orange haze and you can see and smell the smoke particles everywhere. Insane.
Nah, that's likely from the fire in Centennial Lake Island that's spread to land.

Just west of you we have a air quality notice for 36 hours and schools have canceled outdoor recess.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There is a wildfire around Calaboogie.

The smell is bad this morning. Bad, in a "leave a salmon filet outside for the day and you have some great smoked salmon" way. And it's still visually jarring. No way I'm going to run today. This picture was taken like 3 minutes ago (8:45)

PXL_20230606_123339781.jpg

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Air pollution goes south as far as Chicago. Air quality warnings in Ontario from west of Sault Ste Marie to Niagara.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad