Nosek picked by Las Vegas

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
A sub par NHL season is still better than a good AHL playoff run.

You can make an argument that Nosek would be a more cost effective 3rd line center, but its a massive stretch to believe he's a more effective player than Sheahan despite Riley's awful season.

If that is the case, why didn't Vegas take Riley? He isn't exactly expensive or a crazy, long-term commitment. Had you given Nosek Riley's opportunities they would look much similar on paper.

Riley doesn't put wind in my sails, nor does the thought of watching 82 more games of the same ****ing roster. I already saw that movie and know that it sucks. I don't know why you would want to watch it again.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So the timeline for expansion draft on this board is:

1. People worry about losing AA
2. People freak out about potentially losing XO
3. Complete outrage over the assumed loss of Mrazek
4. Likely loss of Nosek, a complete non-factor and a player mentioned as part of our future close to zero times

Let's face it, this would be the best case scenario possible. We lose nothing. And I like Nosek. But if we're not PAYING LV to take him, it's a huge win for us. Nosek could have been Sheahan's replacement if we lost him, that's about it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

4. Likely loss of Nosek, a complete non-factor and a player mentioned as part of our future close to zero times

Let's face it, this would be the best case scenario possible. We lose nothing. And I like Nosek. But if we're not PAYING LV to take him, it's a huge win for us. Nosek could have been Sheahan's replacement if we lost him, that's about it.

Or

1. Mrazek is a future core piece
<Holland exposes him>
2. Mrazek's trash, was never part of the core

but all jokes aside, losing Nosek is a pretty good outcome here.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

I'll admit it, I overreacted about a lot of things.
And in the end, we lost nothing. A fourth liner that is slightly better than joakim Andersson.
I like Nosek, skill on our bottom line was a breath of fresh air but we really lost nothing.
Ok, now back to draft talk

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If that is the case, why didn't Vegas take Riley? He isn't exactly expensive or a crazy, long-term commitment. Had you given Nosek Riley's opportunities they would look much similar on paper.

Riley doesn't put wind in my sails, nor does the thought of watching 82 more games of the same ****ing roster. I already saw that movie and know that it sucks. I don't know why you would want to watch it again.

Eh, maybe they selected him with the idea of waiving him and adding him to their AHL affiliate. He had a nice AHL season and I am not sure if Detroit would be able to claim him off waivers. The only other guy on our list worth claiming was Mrazek but there were other options available that made Mrazek less appealing.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I was genuinely excited to see how he would do this year, but I'm not going to cry over losing him.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Eh, maybe they selected him with the idea of waiving him and adding him to their AHL affiliate. He had a nice AHL season and I am not sure if Detroit would be able to claim him off waivers. The only other guy on our list worth claiming was Mrazek but there were other options available that made Mrazek less appealing.

I'm in this line of thinking costs less than a third of Riley Sheahan and his next contract is pretty much guaranteed to be less than Riley's.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Lol, fine guys. Our #1 center and leading scorer for the Griffins in the playoffs would barely crack anything more than the 4th line in the NHL. Sure.

Let's open this thread back up when he's centering the 3rd line in Vegas by mid-season.

But no, everyone can be happy we have no cap relief and still have Shehan, Glendening, and Abby for the next 30 years

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lol, fine guys. Our #1 center and leading scorer for the Griffins in the playoffs would barely crack anything more than the 4th line in the NHL. Sure.

Let's open this thread back up when he's centering the 3rd line in Vegas by mid-season.

But no, everyone can be happy we have no cap relief and still have Shehan, Glendening, and Abby for the next 30 years
How about Cory Conacher, Marty Frk and Teemu Pulkkinen tho?? Superstars! Wonder why LV didn't just grab all of them? Could have won the cup next year.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
How about Cory Conacher, Marty Frk and Teemu Pulkkinen tho?? Superstars! Wonder why LV didn't just grab all of them? Could have won the cup next year.

Pulk is a left winger with a wicked slap shot. Thats about it. Pretty much all he needs to be a good scorer in the AHL. Not so much in the NHL. One trick pony. Frk is still questionable and Conacher has been on about 5 different teams and their affiliates.

Nosek is a very solid two-way center (last I looked, not easy to find) that is only in his SECOND year in the AHL/NHL. Does not compare with the guys you mentioned.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Pulk is a left winger with a wicked slap shot. Thats about it. Pretty much all he needs to be a good scorer in the AHL. Not so much in the NHL. One trick pony. Frk is still questionable and Conacher has been on about 5 different teams and their affiliates.

Nosek is a very solid two-way center (last I looked, not easy to find) that is only in his SECOND year in the AHL/NHL. Does not compare with the guys you mentioned.

Teams lost 1st round picks and prospects like shea Theodore and Tuch. We don't need to be upset about losing Nosek who has 3rd line upside at best

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

That's my assumption. If Vegas wanted the best NHL forward, they'd go Helm. We slam the guy, but he's not a bad player when healthy. The biggest problem here is that we don't need him and he's just sort of in the way of a bunch of other guys who could take that middle6 forward spot. On an expansion team? I think Helm could play a solid role and be a decent contributor for his salary.

Mrazek has the most upside, but he also has the biggest question marks when his salary is taken into consideration. Yeah, they could try trading him but, if they can't, they have to offer over $4m just to keep his RFA rights. I'm guessing that if they didn't take him we can safely assume there just isn't a market for him.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Teams lost 1st round picks and prospects like shea Theodore and Tuch. We don't need to be upset about losing Nosek who has 3rd line upside at best

I think we do when he's better than just about every exposed player AND the least expensive.

Only plus side to this is it gives Holland little money to waste on signing a bunch of 35+ FA's to 10 year contracts.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Helene St. James‏Verified account @HeleneStJames

Hearing Tomas Nosek going to Vegas. If so, quite an indictment on some of NHLers Red Wings made available.

Character Assassination! On every single player we did not protect! this **** is getting out of hand!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I can't believe this is the pick. He has played a handful of fairly meaningless games in the NHL and that is it. Very happy with this selection, just find it odd.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think we do when he's better than just about every exposed player AND the least expensive.

Only plus side to this is it gives Holland little money to waste on signing a bunch of 35+ FA's to 10 year contracts.

We have nothing to worry about then! He is at best a depth forward, with a little talent, nothing exciting.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I am not disappointed at all. Glad they didn't pick Petr.

But how official is this? Could they have chosen Petr or anyone else and Custance is misinformed? I like Nosek but am happy if it is him over Petr, but it only says that Nosek is likely to be picked.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is the Las Vegas Team made of those 99% sure Twitter leaks:

James Neal (NSH) --- Vadim Chipachyov (free agent, KHL) --- Evgeny Dadonov ??? (free agent, KHL)
David Perron (STL) --- William Karlsson (CBJ) --- Jonathan Marchessault (FLO)
Oscar Lindberg (NYR) --- Cody Eakin (DAL) --- Reilly Smith (FLO)
Tomas Nosek (DET) --- Erik Haula (MIN) --- Pierre-Edouard Bellemare (PHI)

W Nikita Gusev (TBL, in KHL)
W Alex Tuch (MIN)
LW Brendan Leipsic (TOR)
C Reid Duke (free agent)
C Mikhail Grabovski (NYI), career ending injury?

Defence with latest season Ice-times:
Alexei Emelin (MTL, 21:19) --- Marc Methot (OTT, 19:49)
Jason Garrison (TBL, 18:33) --- Trevor van Riemsdyk (CHI, 18:24)
Griffin Reinhart (EDM, 18:04) --- Deryk Engelland (CGY, UFA, 18:19)
Clayton Stoner (ANA, 17:33) --- Shea Theodore (ANA, 17:18)
David Schlemko (SJS, 16:44) --- Colin Miller (BOS, 15:48)
Brayden McNabb (LAK, 15:03) --- Nate Schmidt (WSH, 15:28)

Goalies:
Marc-Andre Fleury (PIT)
Jean-Francois Berube (NYI)

15th overall pick (NYI).

7 team picks still unknown.

Looks like McPhee is building a defencemen market, where he first generates a need for many teams and then will swap different guys back who he first did "stole" one. Perfect tactic. And shows what is valuable in NHL. Defencemen. Smith will net 2nd+3rd and Vanek nets 3rd.

Would be nice to see him selling Emelin to Ottawa and Methot to Montreal. :)

Team will be crap, that roster is forced to tank for years.

Last edited:

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Sheahan has a 13, and a 14 goal season, and has played over 280 NHL games.

Nosek has played in just 17 games, and has 1 NHL point.

Their gap in age is less than a year, it's pretty clear who the better player is right now, even if he was a tire fire last season.

Tomas Nosek had a pretty good age 24 season in the AHL. When Riley Sheahan was 24, he was finishing up his 3rd season in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad