Nosek picked by Las Vegas

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Yet still better than any center we have, not named Larkin or Zetterberg. 6'2 Centers that are defensively responsible should not be left to the trash heap. He would have made a good 3rd line center and PK guy for us.

And he's only a 3rd year player in the AHL/NHL. He's right on schedule, in terms of development, for being a quality bottom 6 forward. And at 1/4 or better the price of guys we currently have.

If, (and its a big if) Nosek works at all in the NHL he'll be fortunate to become as good as Riley Sheahan.

I think a comparable would be someone like Landon Ferraro who hasn't exactly lit the world on fire at the NHL level, despite being a defensively responsible center with some offensive touch.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
FWIW, Main trade board thinks Wings would have had to make a trade with Vegas to have Nosek as the pick.

Yeah...as soon as Holland said, "no deal" to giving up a pick/player to take a salary guy away, we were destined to lose no one that we needed to.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
If, (and its a big if) Nosek works at all in the NHL he'll be fortunate to become as good as Riley Sheahan.

I think a comparable would be someone like Landon Ferraro who hasn't exactly lit the world on fire at the NHL level, despite being a defensively responsible center with some offensive touch.

Which Sheahan, exactly? The first year Sheahan who played good. The second year Sheahan who had an okay first half and then got injured. Or the Sheahan, from then until now, who has been useless?

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
nosek has the hockey IQ to be a top 6 player, however his skating holds him back. And i'm not sure how much improvement can be made to his skating at this point. you either have it you don't imo

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Also transitioning from a completely different league and style of game. Did you watch any Calder games? This kid is a sniper, something we could have desperately used.

But whatever. I'm sure having Abby with his 6 fluke goals next year will be just as good.

Big fan of Nosek's but he's not a sniper. He's a great two way forward that always seems to be good position/where the puck is. Right now he's a bottom six guy but if you surround him with some creative forwards, he could be a consistent 15/20 guy.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
FWIW, Main trade board thinks Wings would have had to make a trade with Vegas to have Nosek as the pick.

So we didn't protect Mrazek so we could make a deal with Vegas to protect Mrazek? Yeah that doesn't make sense.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Which Sheahan, exactly? The first year Sheahan who played good. The second year Sheahan who had an okay first half and then got injured. Or the Sheahan, from then until now, who has been useless?

Sheahan has a 13, and a 14 goal season, and has played over 280 NHL games.

Nosek has played in just 17 games, and has 1 NHL point.

Their gap in age is less than a year, it's pretty clear who the better player is right now, even if he was a tire fire last season.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Their gap in age is less than a year, it's pretty clear who the better player is right now, even if he was a tire fire last season.

The age thing is moot, at this point. If we had an adequate sample size, I think we could be talking apples to apples. But we don't have that. So all I see is Nosek costing just over 600k and Sheahan costing 2M+, and they give me the same thing. A big body 3rd line center...at better than 1/3 the price tag, with a better contract to handle going forward. Cause there's no way Sheahan will be given a contract for less money from Holland, if he stays. And giving Nosek even 700-800, is still 1.25M less salary going forward.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Bbbb-bbbut we could had a 4th round pick for Mrazek and surely that's better than losing him for nothing :sarcasm:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yes, I am. A 24 year old player who has never been PPG in the AHL season. He had a nice playoff run but in nearly 200 AHL games and 20 NHL games he's been nothing more or less than another bottom line guy.

For the love of god, everyone has already seen Nosek play at the NHL level and knows he is a bottom-six forward. No one is projecting him as a forty-goal scorer :naughty: My issue is that losing Nosek means that I have to watch another season of Sheahan in a Wings uniform. If true this upsets me because I reached the same conclusion as Vegas: Nosek is a better, more effective player at this point than Riley and I want to see us field the best possible roster.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Sorry Flashy, sometimes you just need to look past the stat sheet and actually evaluate a player based upon what you see. Nosek is bigger, more physically involved, actually drives the net, is more effective on the forecheck and much stronger along the boards than Sheahan. Hell, he even skates better than Riley (which isn't saying much). The only thing Riley has on him is his shot. More importantly, one of these two has continued to get better while the other has regressed mightily.

Nosek is no savior of this organization but is a better player than Riley and a better fit for a team in need of big centers.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
For the love of god, everyone has already seen Nosek play at the NHL level and knows he is a bottom-six forward. No one is projecting him as a forty-goal scorer :naughty: My issue is that losing Nosek means that I have to watch another season of Sheahan in a Wings uniform. If true this upsets me because I reached the same conclusion as Vegas: Nosek is a better, more effective player at this point than Riley and I want to see us field the best possible roster.

A sub par NHL season is still better than a good AHL playoff run.

You can make an argument that Nosek would be a more cost effective 3rd line center, but its a massive stretch to believe he's a more effective player than Sheahan despite Riley's awful season.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
He is already light years better than our current bottom six and one of the few bright spots of hope for the future. Just watch, gonna be another Jarnkrok situation.

Get real, no he isn't. He's 25 in September and has 1 point in 11 NHL games. He's a borderline NHLer who if he isn't picked by Vegas is likely to be waiver fodder on the Wings.

But the freaking it over this on this board is entirely predictable.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Sorry Flashy, sometimes you just need to look past the stat sheet and actually evaluate a player based upon what you see. Nosek is bigger, more physically involved, actually drives the net, is more effective on the forecheck and much stronger along the boards than Sheahan. Hell, he even skates better than Riley (which isn't saying much). The only thing Riley has on him is his shot. More importantly, one of these two has continued to get better while the other has regressed mightily.

Nosek is no savior of this organization but is a better player than Riley and a better fit for a team in need of big centers.

They are essentially the same age, 1 has played hundreds of NHL games the other 17.

As far as their size, both are listed at the same height but Sheahan is about 20lbs heavier.

Comparing their play style is irrelevant since one is playing in the NHL vs the best players in the world and the other is playing in a developmental league with far inferior opposition. Nosek will not be very strong against the boards when he's got elite defenders checking him, nor will he be as willing to go to the front of the net when he starts getting abused by NHL defenceman.

Riley was a great player for Grand Rapids too, but managed to make the jump to the Wings in a season and a half, despite coming up into a roster that was infinitely more talented than the roster Nosek didn't crack last year.

The only argument that holds water when it comes to Nosek vs Sheahan is their cost relative to their production, and even that remains to be seen based on how Nosek does at the NHL level. (if he even makes it into the league)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think this pretty much ensures Bertuzzi is on the team next year, and might open the door for Svechnikov a bit as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad