Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4)

Series Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
The beauty of these playoffs, Martin Marincin is the 10th D, not 7th
Underrated observation haha
Personally hoping Bogosian gets healthy. I think a hard nosed vet would pair well with Sandin. Sandin falters, we have Dermott and Hutton. This is a deep team we have

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would be worried if this were a Julien coached team -- I just can't fathom the Habs pulling this one out.

The Leafs are hungry and have been all year. The time is now.

A bit of healthy fear/nerves for the players is normal and a good thing no matter who the opponent is. But other than that, as a fan I'm finding it hard to think of reasons to be worried about MTL.

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
We're winning in 5.

And the 1 game we lose, is going to cause the most insane meltdown these boards have ever seen.

If we do lose a game, I hope it will be the very first game.
Make them hungrier for the rest of the series.
Plus, it would make for an entertaining first couple of days on both our boards lol.

ps. I'm just praying the Andersen experiment doesn't cost us in the POs, & dirtbag Gallagher doesn't injure Campbell.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
As a Hab fan, I’m cheering for you guys to completely dominate us in 4 games. I want my coach fired, my GM fired, and my president to f*** off. Don’t even give us a single chance in any of the games - we have no business being in the playoffs (and this, at least two years in a f***ing row, if not way more) and this shit show has got to stop.

And PLEASE, destroy the Oilers in the second round. I can’t f***ing stand them. And beat the f***ing States (bring back the Cup where it belongs, here in Canada). I stand loyal to my country (minus the Edmonton Oilers).

Just win.

tenor.gif

you win Post of the Year just for the Rocky GIF……

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I said Leafs in 6 but could be 7. I think Montreal will be a really tough series, there a big team with a great goalie who hasn't had a save % less then .930 in several post seasons.

Despite there poor regular season making them kinda undeserving to be in the playoffs, they still have a decent team that can put 4 wins together imo.

I think we are the better team clearly, but they are still capable of winning if they throw us off our game. We will see

Reactions: Ciao

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Can see them trading a guy who will probably finish 3rd -4th -5th in the scoring race and is connected at the hip with Matthews.

Nylander on the other hand, complimentary scoring that has flashes of brilliance and long stretches of who gives a *uck effort.
I completely agree with your assessment. However, Nylander also doesn't make nearly 11 mil per year. Salary should be taken into consideration.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I completely agree with your assessment. However, Nylander also doesn't make nearly 11 mil per year. Salary should be taken into consideration.

I think you can get similar production from Hyman at less cost and a more useful all around player. Willie clearly is a better offensive threat but not by much, Hyman is a guy who you can use on any line in any situation, Willie has to play top 6 or he is useless.

So you resign Hyman, trade Willie, hopefully the trade goes well and you get a blue chipper or a quality guy who immediately can make your roster and at a lower cap hit.

I really want Willie to be that guy who takes me out of my seat every game with a HOLY $Hit this guy is awesome, but he's becoming more of that guy who I want to throw something at the TV because his effort lately is $#it.

Reactions: LeafsRus

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I think the Habs will be the Leafs toughest opponent from the North. Habs do need to get their shit together and get healthier but they're built for the playoffs and have a goalie that could potentially steal games; we have Matthews to break him though.

Big key to Leafs going far will be keeping their stars healthy & figuring out their powerplay. Teams are absolutely going target Matthews and when someone like Chariot cross checks Matthews in the back somebody like Simmonds or Foligno needs to drop em.

So nice having depth at forward, defense & goaltending too, odds are the Leafs won't have much problem with bottom of the lineup players going through slumps; I'm guessing the schedule will be more condensed than usual too.

Love the makeup of this team, always had a preference for defensive players; I think the majority of them are underrated.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
You have to be cautiously confident that this will be the Leafs first series win since 2004. Montreal has had trouble scoring and their team defense has been mediocre when it was expected to be good this season. A coaching change didn't result in a team improvement which is usually a harbinger of an upcoming decline. Matthews has been money this season especially the second half. Yes, sometimes a team in a situation like that can pull out a series win when they've got a favourable matchup but the regular season contests between these two teams does not suggest that. The X-factor for Montreal is a healthy and fully on his game Carey Price could steal a series because he is genuinely a top 5 NHL goalie.

Reactions: Ciao

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think you can get similar production from Hyman at less cost and a more useful all around player. Willie clearly is a better offensive threat but not by much, Hyman is a guy who you can use on any line in any situation, Willie has to play top 6 or he is useless.

So you resign Hyman, trade Willie, hopefully the trade goes well and you get a blue chipper or a quality guy who immediately can make your roster and at a lower cap hit.

I really want Willie to be that guy who takes me out of my seat every game with a HOLY $Hit this guy is awesome, but he's becoming more of that guy who I want to throw something at the TV because his effort lately is $#it.

Thankfully, I suspect our GM will just keep all the young blue chippers who are currently clearly better offensive threats, entering their prime, and clearly improving year over year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Pretty pumped to really heat up this old rivalry.

Should be a good series.

Pressure is on the Leafs' to win without a doubt. Though Bergevin's job might be on the line for the Habs.

Anything short of a series win for the Leafs is a massive failure though.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad