North Bay Battalion 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
At this point, what do you lot think? While it would suck to let the like s of Nelson or DDV go, after tonight I think a major shakeup could (should?) be in order. DDV is a backbone in net - but if he doesn't pitch a shut out(or close to it) this team has major issues scoring. Personally (and I'd hate to do it), I'd be looking for a major deal for Ty Nelson.....perhaps a great playmaker down the middle, or a finisher on the wing. A suitcase load of picks would lessen the blow too - but who might be available player wise in return for such a major shake up?
I hope Nelson is sick or playing hurt because that was a very poor performance tonight!!

The ransom will be a lot higher closer to Christmas.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
“We called it, that’s a good team over there .......,” assessed head coach Ryan Oulahen. “

Good grief 😔 .... broken record. #needanewbuzzphrase

Reactions: I Loveallsports

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
What a total team effort tonight
Big win 4-1, not a happy crowd leaving the Bud tonight.
3 out of possible 4 points in 48 hrs. is Super, wish double D could play every game. Go Troops Go!
I think London is overrated. Tonight the Petes outplayed them and if it wasn’t for Michael Simpson and the refereeing in the Knights favour at the end of the game Peterborough would have won the game.

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
At this point, what do you lot think? While it would suck to let the like s of Nelson or DDV go, after tonight I think a major shakeup could (should?) be in order. DDV is a backbone in net - but if he doesn't pitch a shut out(or close to it) this team has major issues scoring. Personally (and I'd hate to do it), I'd be looking for a major deal for Ty Nelson.....perhaps a great playmaker down the middle, or a finisher on the wing. A suitcase load of picks would lessen the blow too - but who might be available player wise in return for such a major shake up?
Agreed,I believe they kept the wrong overager. Mr Ertel isn’t a goal scorer, Zito has more fire power. Scoring is going to be a issue for sure with this tea

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agreed,I believe they kept the wrong overager. Mr Ertel isn’t a goal scorer, Zito has more fire power. Scoring is going to be a issue for sure with this tea
The right OA was kept.
Ertel wants to play. Zito is unsure if he wants to play. At this point, I would trade Zito ASAP if he decides to play his OA season.

Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
3-2-1-1 without Arnsby is ok.
Give the Pazii, Therrien, Amidovski, Kostuch, & Richter around 20 games to find out if there can be a fairly productive 3rd line before pulling the plug on the season.
The Battalion can move all of Arnsby, Nelson, DiiVincentis, plus players next season; yet, not be in a better position to win for at least two seasons. Barrie and Miss appear to me the top teams in the conference 2024-26.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
The problem with being listed in the CHL's top ten is that developing brains seem to think they just have to show up and they'll cruise to a win. The predictions posted here about how this edition of the Battalion will likely struggle to produce goals seems to be proving true. Fans may have to get used to hearing about how "that's a good team over there".

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
According to scoresheet for tonight, coach will be using the popular 11 / 7 alignment: 28 Stefan Forgione is out, 17 Tyson Rismond is in. No sign of 11 Cap’n Arny, starter in net has not been identified.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
According to scoresheet for tonight, coach will be using the popular 11 / 7 alignment: 28 Stefan Forgione is out, 17 Tyson Rismond is in. No sign of 11 Cap’n Arny, starter in net has not been identified.
Was expecting more out of Forgione then he has shown.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Random notes and observations from Sun.: NB 5 OSH 2

Maybe Owen vanSteensel as 1st line LW will work out after all. In addition to his 3 beauties, his PK was excellent as usual and he contributed an important shot block near the end of the 2nd.

D Tnias Mathurin was a hoss all over the ice, from shot blocks, rub outs in the d-zone to lugging the puck up ice and going deep in the o-zone.

I’m really liking import D Alex Cajkovic’s game.

From the “Just Wondering” files:

What % of Ty Nelson’s shot attempts actually hit the net?

What is the point of going with 7 defenders when #7 sees the ice for maybe 3 or 4 shifts in the entire game?

How many times is it necessary for the television announcers to reference the home team’s 3rd in 3 vs. the visiting team’s 2nd in 4?

Why don’t referees call defenders’ slashes to shooters’ wrists? The hack to Carter Kostuch with 4 min. remaining looked serious.

Will we see the return of the Cap’n this Thursday vs. MIS?

How does a team with 4 wins and 4 losses come to be ranked #2 in the league, while a team with a 7-1 record checks in at 4?

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What do the lines look like with LA11 back in the lineup?
Good question. They should keep Ertel & Therrien together I think. Does Cooke have a spot when healthy?

VanSteensel-Wakely-Romani
Ertel-Arnsby-Therrien
Pazii-Procyszyn-Amidovski
Kostuch-Richter-Forgione

I’d switch Arnsby & Wakely so the top 3 goal scorers are not on one line

Reactions: Uncle

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With the Wolves getting Dvorsky, it's only a matter of time before the clock strikes 12 for this group.

It's definitely a development year, but guys like Nelson, DiVincentiis and probably Ertel should probably get looks on more competitive rosters.

The Battalion will likely make the playoffs, but there's no hope of them coming out of the East. Time to recoup some of those spent draft picks.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With the Wolves getting Dvorsky, it's only a matter of time before the clock strikes 12 for this group.

It's definitely a development year, but guys like Nelson, DiVincentiis and probably Ertel should probably get looks on more competitive rosters.

The Battalion will likely make the playoffs, but there's no hope of them coming out of the East. Time to recoup some of those spent draft picks.
There’s next year to add picks to the effectively full compliment of picks.
The Battalion can still go far in the playoffs with half the roster experiencing 1 or two runs to the conference final.
The team may decide to cash out the stars, but that will not change the time line of the next competitive cycle. Barrie and Miss are loaded for the near future. The wolves could very well be very good again next season. Niagara should be pretty good next year as well.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There’s next year to add picks to the effectively full compliment of picks.
The Battalion can still go far in the playoffs with half the roster experiencing 1 or two runs to the conference final.
The team may decide to cash out the stars, but that will not change the time line of the next competitive cycle. Barrie and Miss are loaded for the near future. The wolves could very well be very good again next season. Niagara should be pretty good next year as well.
Next year Nelson and DiVincentiis are gone. They're the two assets that are going to essentially restock what was sent away acquiring Bloom and Zito at the previous deadline.

There's a very good chance that the Battalion don't see a deep run for a few years while they restock through the draft. Last year was their big shot and unfortunately it fell short to the team that went to the Memorial Cup. This one just doesn't hold a flame to last year's roster. There's not nearly enough depth.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Next year Nelson and DiVincentiis are gone. They're the two assets that are going to essentially restock what was sent away acquiring Bloom and Zito at the previous deadline.

There's a very good chance that the Battalion don't see a deep run for a few years while they restock through the draft. Last year was their big shot and unfortunately it fell short to the team that went to the Memorial Cup. This one just doesn't hold a flame to last year's roster. There's not nearly enough depth.
Things would have to go bad for a team with (arguably) the most playoff experience, top goalie, top defence-man, and best hitter/defensive forward to not contend.
Though some picks are tied up with conditions until rosters are locked in February, the Battalion are at this time missing 2026-2nd pick and holding extra 5, 6, 8, 9, 12 picks. They can get more that 2nd pick back trading VanSteensel & Wakely as OAs, and Romani.
The team is not as deep as last season post deadline, but the best players this season are better than the graduated imo; except Petrov of course.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Things would have to go bad for a team with (arguably) the most playoff experience, top goalie, top defence-man, and best hitter/defensive forward to not contend.
Though some picks are tied up with conditions until rosters are locked in February, the Battalion are at this time missing 2026-2nd pick and holding extra 5, 6, 8, 9, 12 picks. They can get more that 2nd pick back trading VanSteensel & Wakely as OAs, and Romani.
The team is not as deep as last season post deadline, but the best players this season are better than the graduated imo; except Petrov of course.
In junior hockey, it's generally quite easy to see the teams separate from the pack though. And early on, it's been pretty easy to see that the Battalion are going to have a difficult time generating offense at the rate they did last season.

And when it comes to draft selections, it's not just about having a full slate. In junior hockey, those picks are ammunition. They're valuable trade capital to be spent in a time when the team is at its most competitive point. The Battalion just aren't in a position to hang with the big dogs this season.

And I wouldn't be terribly off base to say that Dom DiVincentiis may just be the most valuable rental player on the market this season. You don't miss the opportunity to cash in on the value of that asset for a chance to maybe advance to a Conference Final.

Reactions: StormWatcher

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In junior hockey, it's generally quite easy to see the teams separate from the pack though. And early on, it's been pretty easy to see that the Battalion are going to have a difficult time generating offense at the rate they did last season.

And when it comes to draft selections, it's not just about having a full slate. In junior hockey, those picks are ammunition. They're valuable trade capital to be spent in a time when the team is at its most competitive point. The Battalion just aren't in a position to hang with the big dogs this season.
I think NB is right now at its most competitive point for 2023-24 to 2025-26 seasons, and I don’t see why NB needs to accumulate picks this season as they 19 picks for the 2024 draft.
And I wouldn't be terribly off base to say that Dom DiVincentiis may just be the most valuable rental player on the market this season. You don't miss the opportunity to cash in on the value of that asset for a chance to maybe advance to a Conference Final.
It’s actually rare for teams to forego the opportunity to compete when a draft class such as; Nelson, Wakely, Mathurin, VanSteensel, and DiiVicentis are 19.

Just advance to a conference final? Ask the team historian/owner if a potential 5th conference final in nine seasons and the gates that come with it is a big deal

Reactions: Bra Wavers

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think NB is right now at its most competitive point for 2023-24 to 2025-26 seasons, and I don’t see why NB needs to accumulate picks this season as they 19 picks for the 2024 draft.
I'd have to disagree. They aren't nearly as deep as they were last season. Losing Petrov, Jackson, McDonald, Bloom, Zito does a number to your scoring depth. The powerplay doesn't possess the threat it did a year ago.

They're being led offensive by a number of undrafted 18 year olds. And looking down the road, the Wolves have built themselves a powerhouse of a team this year with a full chest of trade assets to add to it. Mississauga is also in a position to make a big deadline splash.
It’s actually rare for teams to forego the opportunity to compete when a draft class such as; Nelson, Wakely, Mathurin, VanSteensel, and DiiVicentis are 19.

Just advance to a conference final? Ask the team historian/owner if a potential 5th conference final in nine seasons and the gates that come with it is a big deal.
The Battalion have a nice selection of draft eligible forwards. Most of them undrafted their first time around. Odds are that Van Steensel, Romani and Wakely will be around next year lead the team, too.

But this is the year where their 19 year old group just doesn't hold a flame to its divisional competition. That's a sign that it's time to cash those big trade chips. That's a also a way to pull high pedigree players while adding to your trade capital.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'd have to disagree. They aren't nearly as deep as they were last season. Losing Petrov, Jackson, McDonald, Bloom, Zito does a number to your scoring depth. The powerplay doesn't possess the threat it did a year ago.

They're being led offensive by a number of undrafted 18 year olds. And looking down the road, the Wolves have built themselves a powerhouse of a team this year with a full chest of trade assets to add to it. Mississauga is also in a position to make a big deadline splash.

The Battalion have a nice selection of draft eligible forwards. Most of them undrafted their first time around. Odds are that Van Steensel, Romani and Wakely will be around next year lead the team, too.

But this is the year where their 19 year old group just doesn't hold a flame to its divisional competition. That's a sign that it's time to cash those big trade chips. That's an also a way to pull high pedigree players while adding to your trade capital.
If Barrie, Miss, and one of Kingston or Ottawa add or Petes hold; NB probably has to consider selling. I doubt there will be four teams as strong as last years eastern conference though.
If Sudbury is looking like the #1 seed and NB can be #3, I can’t see a good reason to sell. The 19 yr olds and OAs might be best in conference, maybe the Petes better.

The 18 yr old group of NB is not deep and without all-stars. The Wolves, Colts, Steelheads, & IceDogs all have more and/or better 2005 born.
Next season is a good time to accumulate picks and possibly be a lottery team.

Reactions: DraftEligibleOHL

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Barrie, Miss, and one of Kingston or Ottawa add or Petes hold; NB probably has to consider selling. I doubt there will be four teams as strong as last years eastern conference though.
If Sudbury is looking like the #1 seed and NB can be #3, I can’t see a good reason to sell. The 19 yr olds and OAs might be best in conference, maybe the Petes better.

The 18 yr old group of NB is not deep and without all-stars. The Wolves, Colts, Steelheads, & IceDogs all have more and/or better 2005 born.
Next season is a good time to accumulate picks and possibly be a lottery team.
Regardless of what the Battalion do with DiVincentiis and Nelson, very good odds they're a second round out at their very best. They still squeak in if they sell.

I'd put good money on those guys moving out in the months to come. DiVincentiis makes a lot of sense for Sudbury.

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad