North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
On coach Butler's tv show he said he wanted to be patient with his goalies but as the season progresses and the team plays stronger opponents, I suspect it will become clearer that neither one is OHL material.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
On coach Butler's tv show he said he wanted to be patient with his goalies but as the season progresses and the team plays stronger opponents, I suspect it will become clearer that neither one is OHL material.
Then it will be too late and they'll miss the PO's again. #neveragain lol

For a big guy Woroniuk was very weak yesterday, clearly someone told the Petes to shoot high and they did, successfully, often.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
If Butler doesn't see this now, then he shouldn't be coach or GM !

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't understand why GMs do this. Everyone and their dog knew that tandem wasn't going to fly this season. Sime's too small and Woroniuk is too raw. We needed a legitimate starter from game 1. A legitimate starter in Joseph Raaymakers demanded a trade before game 1 and the GM didn't bat an eyelash. The team's not going to put up six goals every game. We need a goaltender who can keep them in it.

Reactions: Greatger

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
I don't understand why GMs do this. Everyone and their dog knew that tandem wasn't going to fly this season. Sime's too small and Woroniuk is too raw. We needed a legitimate starter from game 1. A legitimate starter in Joseph Raaymakers demanded a trade before game 1 and the GM didn't bat an eyelash. The team's not going to put up six goals every game. We need a goaltender who can keep them in it.
Too cheap to be proactive. Now, sadly Butler is in a desperation state and he'll pay more now than a pre-season trade would have cost. He could have even thrown Ball in for free since he just got sent home....for nothing in return. Great use of a 3rd round pick. Similarly to other recent strong 2nd/3rd rounders: Baird, Sherman, Forhan, Snell, Morrison who have had ZERO positive impact on this team.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
GM's need to be right, so they hang on way to long to very poor draft picks , Butler being one of the worst as his picks are the poorest. Woroniuk was average at best in MM, but played on a very good team , scouting tenders is tough and takes a special eye , and the players height cant be the bench mark of where they are selected, Woroniuk is big but useless really, just like Sherman, Baird, ( how can we forget Green?) and now Ball who couldnt skate a lick from day one at camp. You can never win when you constantly blow picks in the first 5 rounds.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
GM's need to be right, so they hang on way to long to very poor draft picks , Butler being one of the worst as his picks are the poorest. Woroniuk was average at best in MM, but played on a very good team , scouting tenders is tough and takes a special eye , and the players height cant be the bench mark of where they are selected, Woroniuk is big but useless really, just like Sherman, Baird, ( how can we forget Green?) and now Ball who couldnt skate a lick from day one at camp. You can never win when you constantly blow picks in the first 5 rounds.
His drafting record in the early rounds definitely speaks for itself but I'd really like to compare it to some other teams in all honesty. Drafting at this age is more or less a crap shoot. Kids are still physically developing and you're concerned about their commitments. He scooped Dineen and Brazeau out of the late rounds.

And drafting record aside, this team has the depth up front to do some damage this winter. Sticking with these two tenders too long puts them behind the eight ball though.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Too cheap to be proactive. Now, sadly Butler is in a desperation state and he'll pay more now than a pre-season trade would have cost. He could have even thrown Ball in for free since he just got sent home....for nothing in return. Great use of a 3rd round pick. Similarly to other recent strong 2nd/3rd rounders: Baird, Sherman, Forhan, Snell, Morrison who have had ZERO positive impact on this team.

What's the word on Ball, was he waived?

Greatger

May 11, 2007
“We have to keep the puck out of the net,” said coach Stan Butler, “I think any time you give up seven goals you’re not going to have much of a chance to win.”
Maybe......just Maybe......you might be looking for a goaltender ???????

Battalion Fan

Oct 12, 2017
Our present goalies are certainly inconsistent,sure would have been nice to have Garrett Forrest here.Stan certainly didn't do very well on that trade.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Cormier for McKenzie works Spirit need scoring and leadership.
I think McKenzie holds considerably more value than an OA goaltender. The kid has been a PPG forward for the past two seasons and can play every situation. He should be one of the more dominant forwards in the league this season. When all is said and done I'd expect us to grab Raaymakers or Murdaca, both who have two years of eligibility left, for a couple decent picks. MacKenzie should likely command double that at the deadline this year.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
See the thread for Chytil under NY Rangers and you'll read the Battalion described as a "horrible trainwreck".

Greatger

May 11, 2007
I think McKenzie holds considerably more value than an OA goaltender. The kid has been a PPG forward for the past two seasons and can play every situation. He should be one of the more dominant forwards in the league this season. When all is said and done I'd expect us to grab Raaymakers or Murdaca, both who have two years of eligibility left, for a couple decent picks. MacKenzie should likely command double that at the deadline this year.
The team chemistry has been lost since inserting Mckenzie back into the lineup. Trade him while he’s still worth something.
Don’t wait until the trade deadline it will be too late.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The team chemistry has been lost since inserting Mckenzie back into the lineup. Trade him while he’s still worth something.
Don’t wait until the trade deadline it will be too late.
I would say it's more likely that our lack of ability to keep the puck out of the net caught up to us. We haven't exactly lost the ability to score goals. You're talking about getting rid of a guy who's going to put up 70+ points this season as if his value is plummeting--it isn't. We're still a very shallow offensive team. Luke Burghardt's torrid start was a nice surprise, but if he tapers off some more, we could have some problems creating offense elsewhere in the lineup.

I do believe we would benefit from trading him to a contender at the deadline, however. He'll be one of, if not the most sought after OAs in the league. Getting into the playoffs and getting assets for him would be the best case scenario IMO.

Battalion Fan

Oct 12, 2017
The Troops look like they have potential.Burghardt looks like the best forward we have at this point even though he was -3 last night however they can't be giving up 4 goals on 22 shots,and 7 goals on 31 shots against the Petes.If this trend continues we don't stand a chance of making the playoffs.Stan really needs to get a solid goaltender in the lineup.Would like to see Raaymaker here and send McKenzie to the Greyhounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad