Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Morrissey

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Other (state below)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
He's not any good at defence, and the award is for the best defenceman. Not for the defenceman who can score the most points while playing on a basement team not trying to win. Karlsson is free to just wheel around and the consequences don't matter.

Makar is playing to win, and plays responsible defensively
Karlsson is a one man breakout, deadly jumping in the rush at even strength, and the finest QB at the point in the league.

Diminishing his efforts as a result of his poor supporting cast is tremendously lazy analysis. He is lapping the field in production while tilting the ice in his team’s favour with no support.

And by the way, I’m big on Makar. Stud. Not his year.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Karlsson is a one man breakout, deadly jumping in the rush at even strength, and the finest QB at the point in the league.

Diminishing his efforts as a result of his poor supporting cast is tremendously lazy analysis. He is lapping the field in production while tilting the ice in his team’s favour with no support.

If you have access to on demand games check out today's 1st intermission interview with Couture. He's asked what he's looking forward to achieve the rest of the season and he answers that he's looking to get EK to 100. That is the focus of the Sharks right now.

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
There's some people in this thread who appear to think it's easier to score on a bottom feeder? That's an interesting thought process.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
There's some people in this thread who appear to think it's easier to score on a bottom feeder? That's an interesting thought process.
No, it's easier to score if you don't give a f*** about goals against or losing.

Go watch Couture's intermission interview from today. Team is all in on getting EK to 100. That is all they are playing for.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He is lapping the field in production
Screenshot_20230325_200712_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: viach and klozge

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Makar has better numbers this year, than last year. The only reason he wouldn't win a Norris this year is if people think Karlsson racking up points and not playing D is more deserving

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
No, it's easier to score if you don't give a f*** about goals against or losing.

Go watch Couture's intermission interview from today. Team is all in on getting EK to 100. That is all they are playing for.
And yet they're still 9th last in GF and Karlsson is putting up the ridiculous numbers he is. If it was so simple we would see more high scoring players on bottom feeders but that usually isn't the case.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And yet they're still 9th last in GF and Karlsson is putting up the ridiculous numbers he is. If it was so simple we would see more high scoring players on bottom feeders but that usually isn't the case.
Usually because top end players don't end up on bottom feeders very long. Whether they move on or drag their teams off the bottom.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
He's not any good at defence, and the award is for the best defenceman.
The best defenseman can be very bad at defense. It just depends on how much offense they create to make up for it. Value is value.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
If Karlsson had the best all-around ability for a D-man this year , the Sharks wouldn’t be in last place.

Surely Boston, Tampa Bay, New York, Dallas and Colorado would become better if they acquired the supposed Norris winner in exchange for their top D right? Nope. None of them would trade McAvoy, Hedman, Fox, Heiskanen or Makar even just for this playoff run because it would make their team worse.

Norris winning D don’t let their teams finish last place. You’d think having the best D-man in the world on the ice for 25+ mins a night ( sans PK ) would tilt the ice in their favour for a majority of the game.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Don't read it. The HFB experience is much better when you've got the block list in triple digits.

Do people really have triple digit block lists?

I have never blocked anyone and actually like reading posts counter to my own views.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
This is one of the most interesting Norris races I have seen. I have no idea how the voters are going to rate what Karlsson is doing this year.

Last year some voters put Josi lower than the general public did and were voting using different criteria than just looking at offence. EK is a much more extreme example of last years Josi and is really polarizing with his amazing offence but suspect defence and the fact that his team is having a really bad year. Fox won very recently playing on a team that did not make the playoffs but the Rangers weren’t like the Sharks are this year.

For what it’s worth Vegas still has Karlsson as the clear favourite to win it this year, and they tend to be correct more often than not.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hughes been on a tear this year. As good as any Dman in the league, and while team success has been middling, he easily has the worst rotation of partners to carry.

Deserves a nomination at this point.

Reactions: zzs06

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
‘SJ has nothing to play for’, or ‘SJ should be better if Karlsson is so good’ are ridiculous takes.

He’s one guy on a roster of 18 skaters. He can only do so much, and he clearly is doing so much.

If there was another defenceman approaching his level of play, sure. Team success would be a deciding factor.

Problem is, there isn’t even a consensus top 3, or runner up.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
If the Canucks were a playoff team, I'd say Hughes deserves top 3 consideration. The Tocchet hiring really just came too late, unfortunately.

Reactions: klozge

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I’m unsure why Avs fans keep bringing Makar up in this thread, he would not be top 3 on my Norris list, and I doubt he will end up in the top 3 in the official voting either.
Morrisey and Dahlin has fallen back down to Earth hard. Makar will pass both in points despite playing 16 less games.

You’re delusional if you think Makar won’t get a nomination at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad