• Morrissey

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Other (state below)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Unless someone gets hot down the stretch, I'd bet this year's actual winner will be one of Fox, Makar, or Hamilton since they all play for contenders. If I had to put money on someone today, it would be Hamilton.

Karlsson will get a lot of 2nd/3rd place votes, but Karlsson's reputation of being poor defensively and playing on one of the worst teams in the leagues will prevent him from actually winning the Norris.

Similarly with Dahlin and Hughes, exceptional seasons but I can't think of the last time a Norris winner was on a non-playoff team. Again, will get plenty of 2nd/3rd place votes. If Buffalo squeaks into the playoffs, I could see a case for Dahlin being made.

Morrissey doesn't have the reputation and isn't far enough ahead of the pack to win.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I don’t want to vote for Karlsson. His D is way worse than the passible D he was able to give when he was an elite skater. But there is no clearly defined guy who has separated from the pack to vote for instead.
You gotta vote, man.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Karlsson is poised to have the most points for a d man since b.leetch in 1992. Your telling me he won’t win the Norris for having the most points for a d man in the last 30 plus years.he will win decisively
That is literally what happened to Josi last year. He had the most points in 30 years and did not win it. So yes, there is a real chance of him not winning it. Not saying he should not, just saying we saw it happened a year ago.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That is literally what happened to Josi last year. He had the most points in 30 years and did not win it. So yes, there is a real chance of him not winning it. Not saying he should not, just saying we saw it happened a year ago.
If the one voter. Who did not put Josi in the top 5, actually did, Josi would of won.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t want to vote for Karlsson. His D is way worse than the passible D he was able to give when he was an elite skater. But there is no clearly defined guy who has separated from the pack to vote for instead.

I think this is the thinking that will lead to him winning. Other defensemen are having good seasons, but I think who voters like the most between those guys will end up split, while Karlsson’s offense stands out from the pack.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think I'd count Makar out. Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up 2nd in defenseman scoring by the end of season despite missing all those games.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Karlsson is a tire fire defensively, it would be a bit of a sham if he won the Norris juts because he scores a bunch of points

I think this underrates what he’s doing offensively. It would be one thing if he were the beneficiary of a high scoring team with an all time PP or something, but he’s by far his team’s best offensive play driver and he leads the league in EV points. I don’t think that necessarily makes him the best defenseman this year, but I think his overall value this year is at least among the top defensemen.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Karlsson is more than 50% better than the second Dman in ES scoring this year. 50%!! If that would've been any forward he would have the Hart locked down. People can talk about EKs defence all they want, but when you dominate your peers in that manner, you should get recognized for it.

Reactions: LT and Golden_Jet

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think I'd count Makar out. Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up 2nd in defenseman scoring by the end of season despite missing all those games.

Those missed games will likely hurt him though, and he had the rep of not playing as well as last year for the first half of the season that will likely hurt him as well. I could see him still finishing high but I’d be surprised if he finishes over Karlsson, Fox or Dahlin at this point unless they get hurt.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I had Dahlin and I don't think anybody else has done anything to unseat Dahlin.

If you have Karlsson, I don't think anybody has done anything to unseat Karlsson.

Reactions: sabremike

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This might be a problem for voters since Makar/Dahlin and Charlie Mack all missed time this year and other contenders lack the stats or reputation to win.

Quinn Hughes won't win it, nor should he but he has been one of the 5 best 2 all around Dmen in the league this year.

Went Makar as he has come back strong.

Reactions: wintersej

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Who is the last Defenceman to win the award while being a double digit minus?

Yes sharks are not a good team but still

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Karlsson’s to lose. I think Dahlin was his competition until they ASG break but injuries have hampered RD since then and he hasn’t been producing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad