Norris Finalists: Doughty, Hedman, Subban

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I never actually understood the voting process for this. So the voters have already voted and the winner is already known to the league but they won't release until June at the awards show?
Yeah they vote before playoffs but they wait because they can have another day of marketing

Reactions: LiasAndersson

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Does anyone have a link for a site that shows the most common defense pairings/partners?

I'd be interested to see who these guys played with most throughout the year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Does anyone have a link for a site that shows the most common defense pairings/partners?

Don't have the numbers but based on my eye test...

Doughty - Forbort

Hedman - Stralman/Girardi

Subban - Ekholm

RickP

Mar 14, 2017

Subban: Emelin

Doughty: Forbort

Hedman: Dotchin

For more details on how well they played with each of their teammates:

Subban:
P.K. Subban - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Hedman:
Victor Hedman - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Doughty:
Drew Doughty - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
It'd be nice to think that Hedman wins this year for vindication of last year, but those other two names are just so damn good I wouldn't be shocked if PK wins it.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Third is still third. It's listed as a finalist, it's recognized. Don't see how it doesn't matter, or what your gripe with my statement is.
I bet third isn't subban by much he may of gotten one third place vote more than jones or whoever just doubt its that big of a snub when votes are released

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Hedman.

Hedman averages 5:59 per game of special team minutes a game. Doughty averages 5:54 and Subban, 5:44. Oh yeah, and he managed to get more points than the other two nominees, in 5 less games!

The lack of support Hedman has on the blueline is insane. Hedman doesn't have the luxury of facing weary opposition lines because of attention that's being paid to the Josis, Muzzins, or Ekholms. Hedman has, 14 games of McDonagh, and then who...Dan Girardi...?

Reactions: Morrison

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Watch the Kings plenty. One of my favourite teams.
Hedman is better than Doughty.

Sacramento Kings if you have that opinion.

Logically, Doughty.

Hedman is gonna win because he's "due" even though he isn't even due to win one. Hasn't been the best defenseman in any year. But let's see how strong the least coast bias is.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I'd bet every cent I own at 0.5:1.0 odds that Hedman wins. He's due in the voters' minds.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty certainly has been outstanding in the Kings playoff appearances over the last four seasons.

Hedman.

Hedman averages 5:59 per game of special team minutes a game. Doughty averages 5:54 and Subban, 5:44. Oh yeah, and he managed to get more points than the other two nominees, in 5 less games!

The lack of support Hedman has on the blueline is insane. Hedman doesn't have the luxury of facing weary opposition lines because of attention that's being paid to the Josis, Muzzins, or Ekholms. Hedman has, 14 games of McDonagh, and then who...Dan Girardi...?

Wat.

Doughty faced the toughest matchups all year, toughest zone starts, and played the most minutes in the NHL by more than 100...

Hedman has a great case, but it's not because Doughty got soft minutes.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Hedman should finally win. Superior stats and a well deserved reputation as also being a shutdown guy, best defenseman in the league. What is funny is last season Hedman was better than this season, that's the way it shakes out sometimes.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
From Jon Rosen, who will obviously have a team focus, but does good summaries:

Doughty a Norris finalist (again) - LA Kings Insider

quick glance at some stats that show how close it is:

CF%Rel
Doughty: +4.39%
Hedman: 0.38%
Subban: 0.30%
Primary Points/60
Doughty: .53
Hedman: .89
Subban: .89
Corsi +/-
Doughty: 158
Hedman: 93
Subban: 125
xGF%
Doughty: 50.9%
Hedman: 50.8%
Subban: 53.1%
Zone Starts Ratio
Doughty: 49.0%
Hedman: 54.3%
Subban: 43.2%
Shots Against/60
Doughty: 28.7 (LAK: 30.9 SA/GP)
Hedman: 32.9 (TBL: 32.7 SA/GP)
Subban: 30.7 (NSH 32.4 SA/GP)
Scoring Chances For/60 (via Natural Stat Trick)
Doughty: 28.3
Hedman: 31.7
Subban: 26.1
Scoring Chances Against/60 (via Natural Stat Trick)
Doughty: 26.8
Hedman: 27.6
Subban: 27.5

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Preds fan saying I'm surpirised PK is a finalist. He was good this year but didn't seem Norris level good. Guess there wasn't a lot of great candidates.

Reactions: seventieslord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad