Non-Minnesota NHL News XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Winnipeg is second in the division. I don't think their play is sustainable, but their goaltending by Hellebuyck is. He looks like a changed player, his summer training with a personal coach has really paid dividends. I predict a wild card spot for them.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Winnipeg is second in the division. I don't think their play is sustainable, but their goaltending by Hellebuyck is. He looks like a changed player, his summer training with a personal coach has really paid dividends. I predict a wild card spot for them.

Any reason why you don't think their play isn't sustainable, if their goaltender is fixed?

Goalie, injuries, and their head coach was what kept them out of the Playoffs last year. They finished 2nd in the West in goals scored last season. They are a top-6 heavy team, but the d-corps is better than most MN fans give them credit for. Their PP is wicked with multiple options to go with Laine's shot.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Any reason why you don't think their play isn't sustainable, if their goaltender is fixed?

Goalie, injuries, and their head coach was what kept them out of the Playoffs last year. They finished 2nd in the West in goals scored last season. They are a top-6 heavy team, but the d-corps is better than most MN fans give them credit for. Their PP is wicked with multiple options to go with Laine's shot.

I think Maurice holds them back. I don't rate him highly as a coach and their systems always look suspect, especially the porous team defense. Granted, they've been stingier, but I credit a lot of that to reborn Helle.

They do have great young offensive firepower: Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor... That, and good goaltending will help them make the playoffs even if the whole is still less than the sum of its parts, as I suspect it will be.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Eichel just dropped the gloves. Kane pushed him off the guy before he could get into it. Similar to Dumba and Kunin the other night.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Bufflo just had these players all on the ice together (as their set line/pair):
Pommer/Larsson/Moulson
Scandella/Falk

:help:

Reactions: 57special

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
There's been rumblings on the internet lately about Houston being the next expansion location.

They (so far) made it work in Vegas. Granted, Vegas is a special town, but their fanbase is loyal and certainly not only made up of out of towners. Houston has a built in fanbase of hockey fans; Aeros fans who were left torn after the team got forcibly moved to Iowa (I hold Norm Green/North Stars levels of hatred over that whole ordeal), and Houston is a major oil and gas hotbed, with employees relocated from many cities with NHL teams who would love for Houston to have a team.

The racial makeup of the downtown core is not what you would associate with ice hockey, but the Houston metropolitan area is f***ing massive. I don't think they would have a problem, and I can only hope that it happens, and that they are named the Aeros.

Arena wouldn't be a problem either, since there's already an NHL ready arena in town where the Rockets play; Toyota Center. Hell, the Aeros had 13,000 fans attend their last regular season game.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Brent Burns currently has 0g, 7a in 19 games. And he just signed an 8x8 contract last year. It seems extremely unlikely that this continues all year, but that has to be very concerning for the Sharks.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Pretty embarrassing loss for the Oilers, and impressive win for the Blues. It will be interesting to see if Yeo brought the December collapse to St Louis or if that was a Minnesota only thing.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Pretty embarrassing loss for the Oilers, and impressive win for the Blues. It will be interesting to see if Yeo brought the December collapse to St Louis or if that was a Minnesota only thing.
I'd be surprised if those collapses really had much to do with Yeo.

But yeah, the Blues looked like they just broke the collective will of the Oilers. By the mid-3rd it didn't seem like either team was trying and the Blues were still popping them in (though toward the end so did Edmonton).

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Yeo (or any head coach) has at least a season or two before players will start to tune him out. The Blues team makeup really does fit how Yeo wants to play very well. Big d-men that can control the d-zone, with an elite scorer to put the team on his back when games are turning into grinds.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Sabres just released their Winter Classic jerseys. I like them. I might have to order a Pominville one.

cut.jpg

cut.jpg

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Vatanen to New Jersey for Henrique, Blandisi and a 3rd. Feels like a shoe that's been hanging in the air for years now finally dropped.

Guess we can forget about New Jersey grabbing Quincey :thumbd:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Actually, on that note, it looks like the Devil's defensive depth is now (stolen from the trade board):

LHD: Greene, Moore, Butcher, Mueller
RHD: Severson, Vatanen, Santini, Lovejoy, Prout

So if the assumed Prosser Gambit falls through, I guess the Devils might be looking to move RHD. Lovejoy's making way too much money. Maybe Dalton Prout? Or is that even worse than Prosser?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Prout is crap. Don't know about Dalton. i would guess there aren't a lot of gems available from NJ

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Looks like there is increasing steam behind this $80 m cap ceiling number for next year. This could be a big help: it'd make the Zucker and Dumba extensions less worrisome, and if Fletcher/New Guy was looking to make bigger changes it'd help loosen up the trade market. Just have to stay away from big contracts in free agency.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Looks like there is increasing steam behind this $80 m cap ceiling number for next year. This could be a big help: it'd make the Zucker and Dumba extensions less worrisome, and if Fletcher/New Guy was looking to make bigger changes it'd help loosen up the trade market. Just have to stay away from big contracts in free agency.

$80 million cap makes it so we could give Dumba/Zucker $12 million combined (likely too high, will probably be closer to $9 to $10) with zero cap worries. A little bit of maneuvering with Ennis' contract and it could open up ~$5 or $6 million to help out the 4th line or bottom pair D.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
$80 million cap makes it so we could give Dumba/Zucker $12 million combined (likely too high, will probably be closer to $9 to $10) with zero cap worries. A little bit of maneuvering with Ennis' contract and it could open up ~$5 or $6 million to help out the 4th line or bottom pair D.
Yeah, the downside is that it's likely to make the FA market go kind of bonkers, but if all we're looking to grab are 4th liners or a veteran defenseman for the bottom pair we should be in good shape. All of the important stuff becomes much easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad