Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Buffalo needs a coach more than anything

I'd give Housley another year. Bylsma destroyed the team so badly that they had to spend most of training camp relearning basic hockey 101 (I recall reading a couple articles about it). Now he's had a year to see what players fit for him and which ones don't.

I do expect Buffalo to be active this off-season with trades and trying to shed some of their dead weight (which other teams might see as reclamation projects): Larsson, Grigensons, Beaulieu, McCabe, etc, Also some of their AHL guys that are losing waiver exempt status could be of interest for some team to take a flyer on: Fasching, Baptiste, Nelson, Bailey.

Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Okposso, Mittelstadt have the makings of a good top-6, but the bottom-6 is pretty barren outside of Nylander getting a shot. Scandella, Risto, and Dahlin have the makings of a passable top-4. Their goalies are total question marks.

With some luck in trades, players making a jump, health, and UFA signings they could make some noise next season. Not saying Playoffs (everything would have to go right for that to happen), but finishing 4th or 5th in their (weak) Division instead of dead last in the league.

The lottery worked out well for both Buffalo and the Canes. Buffalo needs Dahlin and the Canes need Svechnikov.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Spend a lot of time watching what he did at Stillwater? I did
He wasn't as bad as some people thought he was. When I played for him we lacked any high end talent compared to most of the schools we faced. I think only 2 of my teammates played D1 and one of them did it on the football field. He had a hard time learning how to motivate different personalities and not very open to trying new things. I don't think even a Quenneville could turn that team around in one year with all they help they need keeping the puck out of the net.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
In that case, hire Goldsworthy. Won a title in year 1.
That might make sense if I was trying to make the argument that being a good high school coach meant success at the NHL level. All I said was that he wasn't a good coach at that level.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Looking at some of the IIHF rosters makes me wonder if Zucker, Dub, Koivu, and Brodin were asked and declined this year.

I saw Koivu declined. Canada has Kemps as one of their goalies. Zucker is better than a couple of US FWDs. Brodin played a big role in last year's gold winning team, but Sweden does have a lot of quality d-men to pick from.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pisses me off that he is playing , frankly, just like it did Parise playing two summers ago. All these references to him hobbling around when he was off the ice, and statements that he wouldn't truly heal till the off season, and now he's out playing again?

So, either he is playing injured, and delaying the healing process on his leg, or he never was that hurt and he has no excuse for his crap play last year. :(

Not a great start to the off season for him from the Wild's perspective.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Pisses me off that he is playing , frankly, just like it did Parise playing two summers ago. All these references to him hobbling around when he was off the ice, and statements that he wouldn't truly heal till the off season, and now he's out playing again?

So, either he is playing injured, and delaying the healing process on his leg, or he never was that hurt and he has no excuse for his crap play last year. :(

Not a great start to the off season for him from the Wild's perspective.

Part of the problem is that even 1 legged Nino is probably a top-3 FWD (top-6 at the very least) on the Swiss team. I don't like him playing, but the Wild really can't tell him no after they played him for the past 3 months.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Part of the problem is that even 1 legged Nino is probably a top-3 FWD (top-6 at the very least) on the Swiss team. I don't like him playing, but the Wild really can't tell him no after they played him for the past 3 months.
Except that they pay him, not the Swiss?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Except that they pay him, not the Swiss?

And? His contract is guaranteed. It would be really bad press to forbid a player from playing in the Worlds in the year the NHL players were forbidden from playing in the Olympics.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
And? His contract is guaranteed. It would be really bad press to forbid a player from playing in the Worlds in the year the NHL players were forbidden from playing in the Olympics.
The Swiss get the benefit, the Wild get none. It's one thing if he's healthy, but if he's not....I'd be incredibly pissed if I was Leipold.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The Swiss get the benefit, the Wild get none. It's one thing if he's healthy, but if he's not....I'd be incredibly pissed if I was Leipold.
It depends on how long the recovery time is and the risk of further injury. I'm not sure we have the answers to either of those.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

If Nino was injured through the end of the season and Playoffs, then all of a sudden played in the Worlds, I'd be pissed. But the Wild declared him healthy enough to play the last 30+ games and Playoffs. After all if the Wild were made it to round 2 he'd still be playing for them. Hard to try and use the you're not healthy enough to play for your country but healthy enough to play for us double standard.

I don't like that he's playing either, but it really is his choice.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Geez I thought the Wild were hard up going into last year's draft with a 3rd, 2 4ths, 5th, 6th, 7th for picks. I just noticed that the Flames this year only have 2 4ths, 6th, 7th. To miss the Playoffs and have no picks is a double whammy of bad management.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Geez I thought the Wild were hard up going into last year's draft with a 3rd, 2 4ths, 5th, 6th, 7th for picks. I just noticed that the Flames this year only have 2 4ths, 6th, 7th. To miss the Playoffs and have no picks is a double whammy of bad management.
Wow, that's even worse draft position than we had during the worst of the DR years.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I just wanted to pass on this article Russo did today for The Athletic. Link

As background, Mark Workman was a scout for the Golden Knights that passed away due to cancer back in February. He's also the brother of my boss, so he gave me the heads up as soon as the article was released today. My boss, Eric, went to the Athletic party on Wednesday and met up with Russo. Since Russo is covering Vegas right now, my boss told him about his brother. Russo called him yesterday and spent time interviewing all the people in the article before he published it today. Very well written article and a very cool memorial to Mark Workman. Worth a read if you get the chance.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad