Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
For me, DT. Right now Linval is the only starting DT we have on the team. We have a very good secondary already, would having Mathieu as a slot corner be awesome? Yeah, but that'd be a luxury right now. What good is a great secondary if you don't have the ability to stop the run? Get me another DT and let Linval/Richardson make running up the middle irrelevant.

I think I go here as well but our corner depth is not ideal at the moment. Alexander is nowhere near ready and Waynes is below average or just about average still.

We did sign something called, Dylan Bradley to whose a DT, today. The only thing I know about him is he has 298 Twitter followers. Google tells me he was a practice squad guy last season.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I think I go here as well but our corner depth is not ideal at the moment. Alexander is nowhere near ready and Waynes is below average or just about average still.

We did sign something called, Dylan Bradley to whose a DT, today. The only thing I know about him is he has 298 Twitter followers. Google tells me he was a practice squad guy last season.

Waynes is much better than people give him credit for. He's good to great against the run, a good tackler, and has improved each season. He makes some mistakes and gets thrown at a TON due to teams generally not throwing at Rhodes as much. If he was our #1 CB I'd be concerned, but I'm very comfortable with him as our #2CB, and think he will continue to grow. He went form 18% of snaps played as a rookie, to 56% of snaps last season, to 92% of snaps played this season, and Zimmer gave him less help in coverage this season (Source). I doubt he'll be able to be a shut-down corner like Rhodes, but you can do a lot worse for a #2CB.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Waynes is easily ABOVE avg! Some say he's on the verge of stardom... that is yet to be seen, but he does show flashes.

I think people are just remembering the last image of his season... vs Philly and mentally applying to the rest of the season, when that game was more of an anomaly than anything. Harrison Smith had an equally bad if not even a worse game that night, but he had a stellar reputation before the game so everyone is giving him a pass.

Waynes is a hell of a corner, and is one of the least of our worries.

McKenzie on the other hand... is easily the defense's weakest link, and Newman clearly lost a step from the previous season. We need to upgrade the Nickel corner.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Dang. Was huge on 3rd downs.

Late in the year, yes... most of his career here? Not so much.

I was surprised he held on to his roster spot as long as he did, to be honest.

Only 11 total receptions in 2016 and only 18 last season (most of them late in the season). Not NEAR enough production to justify his $3.6mil on the cap. Cutting him, frees up $2.6m of that cap hit.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
My guess is they

1) Need the cap space
2) Want to let him get a fresh start with another team

Time to see if Treadwell can figure his life out or not. They need a 3WR to help keep Safeties honest with the Superstar Duo
Treadwell, this will be his make or break year for sure. He has so much skill, and has proven he can catch the ball, but his route running has left a lot to be desired. I think that's why Keenum didn't have much faith... never mind the fact that Keenum struggled in getting deep in his progressions quite a bit and left a lot of plays on the field by not seeing some wide-open guys. That's why Cousins was brought in over Case, he gets through his progressions very well, very quick and finds guys open who someone like Keenum hasn't been able to.

Treadwell has got himself significant playing time by his superior run blocking skills... he needs to take advantage of that now and force himself into the picture when the ball is thrown too.

Running routes should be the easy part of his job. As Zimmer said about him this offseason, he needs to get out of his own way... stop overthinking it so much.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Anyone watch the UMBC-Virginia game? (I watch every March Madness game in full :)) One of the biggest upsets in sports history. They dominated one of the best statistical defenses in the last 20 years. Incredible.

Last edited:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Waynes is easily ABOVE avg! Some say he's on the verge of stardom... that is yet to be seen, but he does show flashes.

I think people are just remembering the last image of his season... vs Philly and mentally applying to the rest of the season, when that game was more of an anomaly than anything. Harrison Smith had an equally bad if not even a worse game that night, but he had a stellar reputation before the game so everyone is giving him a pass.

Waynes is a hell of a corner, and is one of the least of our worries.

McKenzie on the other hand... is easily the defense's weakest link, and Newman clearly lost a step from the previous season. We need to upgrade the Nickel corner.

I respect the opinion but I just don't see him being anything better than average at the moment. I personally have never heard anyone say he's on the verge of stardom. I actually think Harrison was worse against Philly, I don't think entirely of Waynes when I think of that epic collapse but your sentiment makes sense.

His tackling has improved, no doubt but he grades out as extremely average on every scale for a reason. I love this team and sincerely hope I am wrong about his average-ness but for right now, I have nothing to change my opinion. He did go from 7 PI penalties in 2016 season to 3 last season so he is improving in areas but I haven't seen enough yet.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I respect the opinion but I just don't see him being anything better than average at the moment. I personally have never heard anyone say he's on the verge of stardom. I actually think Harrison was worse against Philly, I don't think entirely of Waynes when I think of that epic collapse but your sentiment makes sense.

His tackling has improved, no doubt but he grades out as extremely average on every scale for a reason. I love this team and sincerely hope I am wrong about his average-ness but for right now, I have nothing to change my opinion. He did go from 7 PI penalties in 2016 season to 3 last season so he is improving in areas but I haven't seen enough yet.
Vikings cornerback Trae Waynes grows from being picked on to pickoffs
Vikings' defense is built for modern-day NFL, drawing comparisons to all-time greats
Trae Waynes, whom Pro Football Focus ranks as the league’s best corner against the run this season.
HASAN: The Improvement of Trae Waynes | Zone Coverage - Cold Omaha
Yards-Allowed-Moving-Average-Wk-13.jpg

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Just saw that the Spurs are in legit danger of missing the playoffs for the first time in like 20 years. Then I noticed the Wolves have dropped all the way down to 8th in the conference, though they're only a half point behind 5th. Does anyone think they'll actually end up missing the playoffs again with Butler out?

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
I've seen a mock or two with G Will Hernandez dropping to the Vikings. That's the dream I think. Keep Remmers at RT where he's better suited IMO. I'd be okay with Billy Price as well. Whatever keeps Hill on the bench.

Who would you guys like to see in the 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad