Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

Love the fan involvement in soccer. That tifo was really great.

For sure, it was a sweet tifo!

In other Minnesota United news, the Loons are about to complete the biggest signing in their history. 30 year old Darwin Quintero, from Club America in Mexico. He'll be a Designated Player (meaning salary cap rules do not apply to him), the first one in MNUFC history.

I just saw he'll be arriving here tonight, should be exciting to see what he can do.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
For sure, it was a sweet tifo!

In other Minnesota United news, the Loons are about to complete the biggest signing in their history. 30 year old Darwin Quintero, from Club America in Mexico. He'll be a Designated Player (meaning salary cap rules do not apply to him), the first one in MNUFC history.

I just saw he'll be arriving here tonight, should be exciting to see what he can do.

What is a tifo?

And salary cap rules don't apply? Can Parise get that special designation? :sarcasm:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
What is a tifo?

And salary cap rules don't apply? Can Parise get that special designation? :sarcasm:
A tifo is the thing in the video that tgf linked. Basically just a huge canvas with some sort of design. Generally to celebrate club/player/coach achievements, or simply to make a statement about something.

They are generally VERY time consuming. Some can be super intricate. When they are done well, it can be really, really cool.

Some other examples:

legia-bdortmund_1.jpg

main-qimg-cb828703abc16b92210ded93ae0a299a-c

2903479100000578-3096646-image-a-89_1432592345497.jpg

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
Happy Opening Today tomorrow for all those Twins fans here.

I'm looking forward to the season for sure. I think our starting rotation will be much improved and we will have some offense too. Hopefully we get off to a good start in Baltimore and it is good weather.

I think Bert did something like 80 games for the Twins last year, so he is gradually taking off more time. I get the some people are upset that they aren't having the "Circle Me Bert" thing anymore, but if he isn't there all that much it makes sense. We will find some new fan interaction to get excited over. :) Hopefully it will be having to do with improved play on the field.

Go Twins! Can't wait to watch some recorded baseball and some hockey tomorrow.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I can't imagine actually caring one bit about that circle me Bert thing, much less actually getting upset about it. :laugh:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Early season MLB games are fun and crazy. Brewers win with a 5 run 9th. Pit/Det game was won 10th by Det until it was overturned, then Pit won in 13 (13-10 game). Cubs/Marlins goes 17 innings with 4 pitchers with 5 or more innings pitched.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Twins pulled Gibson after 6 hitless innings, 5 walks, and 6Ks. Then Presly was an out away from sending it to the 8th for a no-hitter.

Weird game. I like the way our starting staff is playing out of the gates!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Man, Villanova is great. All double digit wins? And it's not like their region got blown up either; they went through some really good teams.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Man, Villanova is great. All double digit wins? And it's not like their region got blown up either; they went through some really good teams.
Only took a couple of games into the tourney for me to realize they were easily the best team in the country. Just dominant. DiVincenzo was incredible tonight.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
A MLB first happened with the Cards/Brewers game today: In the first Major League game to ever start and end with back-to-back home runs.

I still find it amazing whenever a MLB 1st happens; considering the MLB has been around 140 years with over 200k games played.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Masters week! First round underway. Tiger out on the course at -1 through 3...Able to stream coverage of his group before the actual TV coverage starts at 2 PM. One of my favorite times of the year.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Masters week! First round underway. Tiger out on the course at -1 through 3...Able to stream coverage of his group before the actual TV coverage starts at 2 PM. One of my favorite times of the year.
Let's get Rory that Grand Slam!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Should be able to catch most of the back 9 for the later groups today! I'm actually kind of OK with the weather being crappy this weekend. I won't have to feel bad about staying in and watching golf all weekend, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad