GDT: Noche UFC: Grasso vs. Shevchenko 2

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Going into 5 I thought round 4 leaned Shevchenko but could see Grasso winning it due to the knees and the slam. So I wouldn't have even been mad had it been 48-47 Grasso split decision. But a majority draw off a bullshit 10-8 round is a terrible ending. If you love throwing around 10-8s and have round 5 as a 10-8, then round 3 was a 10-8 in the other direction....and it's still Valentina by split decision.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
A case could absolutely be made for Grasso winning that fight, but the 10-8 was inexcusable. I'd love to hear the judge's explanation.

Hopefully they run this back, and sooner than later. I still feel like Shevchenko is the better fighter.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Do you happen to remember the moment in question? I'd like to see it with fresh eyes.

Not the exact moment but I believe it’s one of the middle rounds, perhaps 3 or 4

Here it is. They gave Gamrot this round for lay and pray if I remember correctly. Still one of the all time “WTF ARE YOU a WATCHING???” moments for the judges, who decided on that night alone they would award control time over damage and effective striking

Edit: I did remember correctly, ALL 3 JUDGES GAVE THAT ROUND TO GAMROT. f***ing insane. Guy was forced to panic wrestle and they think he did more damage that round lmao

Gamrot landed like 2 strikes in 5 rounds and im only kinda joking

Last edited:
Reactions: Taytro

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
100%, this just creates an extra headache for him lol

Fiziev vs Gamrot next at least
I think it's probably just the fight fan in him TBH. Same reaction as all of us.

Business-wise, pretty easy solution. Do the trilogy and Blanchfield-Fiorot in a #1 contender fight.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
The first title fight scored this way since Woodley-Thompson I, I believe.
Two more recent ones...

-UFC 256 Figueiredo vs Moreno: this one was only a draw due to the point taken away from Figgy for that horrible low blow. It was a close fight and now I'm going to have to rewatch it cause I was surprised at the time cause I thought the point deduction would have locked it up for Moreno.

-UFC 282 Blachowicz vs. Ankalaev: who cares

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Woodley-Thompson was the funniest draw because they announced Woodley won because they didn't understand the majority draw rules.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
The stats make the Mike Bell card even worse. In the 5th round UFC stats lists Shevchenko as having 23 significant strikes to Grasso's 20 significant strikes. Shevchenko landed 20 significant strikes to the head in that round, Grasso only landed 11. Total strikes were in favour of Grasso 43-41. UFC stats says only 1 of 7 significant ground strikes was landed.

So since they say none of the ground and pound really landed, that means 1m30 seconds of control time and 1 sub attempt take round 5 from a Shevchenko round to a 10-8 round for Grasso.

Whether you thought the fight was super close, that Grasso won, that Shevchenko won, I have no complaints either way. But the only result that shouldnt be acceptable here is a draw. Absolutely nothing to indicate a 10-8 in that 5th round.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like to think Mike Bell's scorecard is a protest against a lame scoring system. That's a completely even fight and I'm great with a draw, but the scoring system doesn't really allow it. Bell found a workaround - works for me. The end justifies the means.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
It's kind of a shame that the dumb scorecard is taking away from a great fight though. I had it for Grasso but it was close enough that I'm fine with a draw, even if we got it in a dumb way.

Valentina showed a lot of heart after getting dropped, and Grasso is just nuts at snatching backs. Hope they're paying Lopes well lol

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's kind of a shame that the dumb scorecard is taking away from a great fight though. I had it for Grasso but it was close enough that I'm fine with a draw, even if we got it in a dumb way.

Valentina showed a lot of heart after getting dropped, and Grasso is just nuts at snatching backs. Hope they're paying Lopes well lol

Agreed, really fun fight. I hate immediate rematches - especially because of the immediate trilogy aspect which is obviously in play here - but this time it worked out.

Really liked the whole vibe, felt like a PPV albeit one big fight short.

Reactions: 16Skippy

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The fight overall was competitive enough where it's nowhere near a robbery, but that was a pretty clear (again, still close)1,3,4 for Valentina imo. Judged as a whole, the fight could go either way.

The 10-8 was trash...no chance he scores it that way if he didn't have Valentina up by 1 going into round 5. Selfish garbage right there that could potentially stall the division and damage a legacy. As weird as it sounds, I have a way bigger problem with the 47-47 score than 48-47 Grasso.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The stats make the Mike Bell card even worse. In the 5th round UFC stats lists Shevchenko as having 23 significant strikes to Grasso's 20 significant strikes. Shevchenko landed 20 significant strikes to the head in that round, Grasso only landed 11. Total strikes were in favour of Grasso 43-41. UFC stats says only 1 of 7 significant ground strikes was landed.

So since they say none of the ground and pound really landed, that means 1m30 seconds of control time and 1 sub attempt take round 5 from a Shevchenko round to a 10-8 round for Grasso.

Whether you thought the fight was super close, that Grasso won, that Shevchenko won, I have no complaints either way. But the only result that shouldnt be acceptable here is a draw. Absolutely nothing to indicate a 10-8 in that 5th round.
Wow, that's surprising, but as Coach Nicksick would say, "Optics!"

I think R5 was clearly Grasso's regardless. 10-8 is just crazy.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The fight overall was competitive enough where it's nowhere near a robbery, but that was a pretty clear (again, still close)1,3,4 for Valentina imo. Judged as a whole, the fight could go either way.

The 10-8 was trash...no chance he scores it that way if he didn't have Valentina up by 1 going into round 5. Selfish garbage right there that could potentially stall the division and damage a legacy. As weird as it sounds, I have a way bigger problem with the 47-47 score than 48-47 Grasso.
I don't think you can say R4 was clear in 1 direction or the other.

As I said last night, Valentina was doing the better work, but the knees and some of those shots in the clinch were the most significant strikes of the round. Per the rules, immediate damage should be weighed heavier than cumulative damage. So I think I'd lean Grasso, but can understand it going to Valentina, too.

Also, shout out to Herb for not stopping the fight for those knees. I didn't know the rule about having weight on the arm and thought they were going to be illegal. Turns out he was right. Since we rag on him when he f***s up, he deserves some credit here.

Reactions: Avs_19, h2 and m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad