GDT: Nobody cares it's game day vs. the Coyotes GDT?

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Thoughts on game after attending and getting to sit at ice level in the corner..

Refs were horrible. Disallowed goals seem to sap some energy from the team. Jones was good all night except that 1........PP was blah.Sharks played ok. JT with too many TO's in bad spots. Didn't feel like we had that many scoring chances. Everything from the outside. Really liked the Donskoi-logan line, they seemed to generate the most opportunities as well as the 4th line.

JT-Pavs-Hertl never seemed to get anything going.

Ward-Patty line was meh as well, though Ward had a good physical game

On to the Rangers

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thoughts on game after attending and getting to sit at ice level in the corner..

Refs were horrible. Disallowed goals seem to sap some energy from the team. Jones was good all night except that 1........PP was blah.Sharks played ok. JT with too many TO's in bad spots. Didn't feel like we had that many scoring chances. Everything from the outside. Really liked the Donskoi-logan line, they seemed to generate the most opportunities as well as the 4th line.

JT-Pavs-Hertl never seemed to get anything going.

Ward-Patty line was meh as well, though Ward had a good physical game

On to the Rangers

It seems like the old trend of if the top line isn't going in a game then it is a tough game which lots of times leads to these kinds of games.

Still say something needs to be done with the marleau line. Defensive line or not the line is just as bad as some 4th lines lately. But still getting prime minutes like a 1st line.

Marleau in his last 17 games has 5 points. And is on the verge of being passed in points by vlasic of all people.

Ward since january 24th has 8 points in 24 games.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Why is that? I thought that once a player was of pro age, it didn't matter.

Player had to be signed before he was 18 or 19 as of september 15th of the year he signed his contract.

So it all depends on if goldobin falls under the 18 or 19 year old number since he was signed as an 18 year old on september 26th.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It seems like the old trend of if the top line isn't going in a game then it is a tough game which lots of times leads to these kinds of games.

Still say something needs to be done with the marleau line. Defensive line or not the line is just as bad as some 4th lines lately. But still getting prime minutes like a 1st line.

Marleau in his last 17 games has 5 points. And is on the verge of being passed in points by vlasic of all people.

Ward since january 24th has 8 points in 24 games.

To be fair, the 4th line scored two goals that were waved off for stupid reasons. Marleau's line is not set up with Nieto on it to be an offensive line because the best playmaker and finisher on that line is Marleau and he can't do it all himself. That line looked significantly better when Tierney was playing on it and a lot of that is because Tierney is better than pretty much all of them at cycling/holding onto the puck plus he has real vision and playmaking ability. I'd like to see that line get together next game and see what happens. I know it will probably hurt the 4th line a bit going with Zubrus-Spaling-Wingels but I think it's worth a shot.

The way this team is set up, the 1st and 3rd lines need to carry the team offensively and the 3rd line was getting a lot of opportunities but not burying anything. It's a formula that has been working for the team but it'll have to change a bit with the injuries possibly keeping guys out.

Why is that? I thought that once a player was of pro age, it didn't matter.

He's still a slide risk because it's his second year and you get two slides when you sign an 18 year old to an ELC. The AHL portion of it doesn't matter towards this rule.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Player had to be signed before he was 18 or 19 as of september 15th of the year he signed his contract.

So it all depends on if goldobin falls under the 18 or 19 year old number since he was signed as an 18 year old on september 26th.

He's considered 18 because that's what he was as of 9/15. His signing date didn't matter for this purpose.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
"What is an Entry Level Slide?
If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player."

That is from capfriendly.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

hard to evaluate this one that way though since two lower lines did score in addition to the top.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

He's still a slide risk because it's his second year and you get two slides when you sign an 18 year old to an ELC. The AHL portion of it doesn't matter towards this rule.

Great, thanks guys.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Thought this was a pretty pedestrian game for most of the team. Tierney and Donskoi were on, but overall just a bad team game.

And we still should have won... :rant: Seen that "kicking motion" called a goal at least 10+ times this season. Appeared to be the standard goal seen after applying more leniency to the kick rule. Idk what differentiates Tierney's from the other dozen plus deemed good by Toronto.

Simply outplayed in the 3rd, and our passive defensive play resulted in a ton of zone time for the Yotes. You could feel it coming for a while. Goal was 100% on Jones, but he's the only reason the game was still tied at that point (other than Toronto). If Vlasic isn't 100% heading into the playoffs, I'll be readying myself for a really bad time :( .

Agree with keeping Tierney with Ward/Marleau. They desperately need a playmaker.

Nieto hurts if it's a long term depth loss, but Spaling is really the only guy i would prefer out of the lineup for him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I didn't say it at the time, but I knew that the Coyotes were going to score after about the 10th slapper attempt by Connauton. Team just looked done at that point.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Media just doesn't care. Sadly they will get out scooped by a out of town media in a few days.

It's incredible that David Pollak's occasional meanderings by way of a blogging medium he only barely understood would prove to be the pinnacle in Sharks media coverage.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The impression I get from Kurz's articles and on air reporting is that, even if he likes what he's doing, it just doesn't come across that way. I don't know if it's covering the Sharks, or something else, but he just seems unhappy.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think he's usually referring to twitter and FtF I think. They usually **** on him really hard compared to what we do.

Ever since Kurz showed how the FTF audience was letting speculation become fact, they've had a burning desire to destroy him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad