Player Discussion Noah Hanifin

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Putting what he wants to do aside, it’s basically a philosophical debate on team building. Trade him for prospects and picks. Keep him to supplement the young guys we already have. In both cases, you can’t go wrong if the price is right.

Not just that, of the potential 4 guys who would have probably required a retention slot, we've traded 2 of them to Vancouver without using those slots. We have 3/3 slots remaining with 2/4 of the primary suspects for using them remaining to be traded. Extending Hanifin brings us to 3/3 w/ 1/4 to go. It's entirely possible to use zero and other teams will figure it out if ownership puts the foot down on retention!

I really do want to know if our GMs have broken the retention restriction that ownership has put on the GM. If somehow extending Hanifin allows ownership to feel good about continuing to say no to retention, I'm not sure that part of the cost is worth it in terms of the remainder of the rebuild.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Way to go out on a limb there, Chris. :sarcasm:
I predict there will be a resolution within the next 29 days.

Either he'll be re-signed and remain a Flames, or he'll be traded and no longer be a Flame.

Not just that, of the potential 4 guys who would have probably required a retention slot, we've traded 2 of them to Vancouver without using those slots. We have 3/3 slots remaining with 2/4 of the primary suspects for using them remaining to be traded. Extending Hanifin brings us to 3/3 w/ 1/4 to go. It's entirely possible to use zero and other teams will figure it out if ownership puts the foot down on retention!

I really do want to know if our GMs have broken the retention restriction that ownership has put on the GM. If somehow extending Hanifin allows ownership to feel good about continuing to say no to retention, I'm not sure that part of the cost is worth it in terms of the remainder of the rebuild.
The retention thing was broken under Treliving with Rittich

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I predict there will be a resolution within the next 29 days.

Either he'll be re-signed and remain a Flames, or he'll be traded and no longer be a Flame.

The retention thing was broken under Treliving with Rittich
Yes, I know about Rittich, but that seemed temporary. I wanted to see if it would happen again under a new GM. It seems all but obvious that of Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm and maybe Zadorov that we would use some retention slots for almost all of those guys. I didn't actually think there was a possibility we could end up using zero for all of them.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes, I know about Rittich, but that seemed temporary. I wanted to see if it would happen again under a new GM. It seems all but obvious that of Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm and maybe Zadorov that we would use some retention slots for almost all of those guys. I didn't actually think there was a possibility we could end up using zero for all of them.
I think 0 is still very unlikely. All the top suitors for defensemen have little to no cap space, so many will need both retention and a cap dump.

With the Lindholm deal, it just kinda worked out nicely that their cap dump made 5.5m and was a guy worth taking a flyer on for next season to see if he can improve his value.

Reactions: Fig

Khrox

May 31, 2018
They've confirmed that we can retain on players whose contracts expire this year, but nothing on long-term retentions (like say a Kadri or Huberdeau)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They've confirmed that we can retain on players whose contracts expire this year, but nothing on long-term retentions (like say a Kadri or Huberdeau)
I'm curious about on a soon to be expiring deal like Mangiapane, a small retention on him could get us a pretty nice haul IMO

Reactions: Fig

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We really need to move on from Hanifin. Good player but not worth what he wants and we already have a couple big money guys locked up long term.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pat Brisson his agent I would think he wants to hit FA

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Sounds like its ironing out the details of a new contract. Interest from other teams isnt there, besides Arizona, who arent willing to give up a 1st and are on his NTC.

I would be very happy to see him sign for 8 years at 7.5mil. My guess is that hes been happy here, enjoys the city and the team, but has been concerned about the direction the team is going. I dont blame for not wanting to be stuck in a rebuild if that was the direction. Conroy seems to be steering forward with some good moves.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Actually, the d-man I would look to move is Andersson. Hanifin is a much better d-man in my opinion so if the objective is to cash in on a youngish d-man, Ras would be the guy.

Retaining them both long tern at a reasonable cap would be ideal.

But if they were to peddle Ras, I'd be looking at keeping Tanev.

Hanifin/Weegar
Klylington/Tanev
Gilbert/Pachal

They wouldn't be a bad group going forward.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
The guy is a stud, repeating myself but want 2 first and AA prospect for him from a team finishing top 5 or sign him.

Actually, the d-man I would look to move is Andersson. Hanifin is a much better d-man in my opinion so if the objective is to cash in on a youngish d-man, Ras would be the guy.

Retaining them both long tern at a reasonable cap would be ideal.

But if they were to peddle Ras, I'd be looking at keeping Tanev.

Hanifin/Weegar
Klylington/Tanev
Gilbert/Pachal

They wouldn't be a bad group going forward.
Agree here, would prefer to ship Andersson.

Reactions: User1996

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Sounds like its ironing out the details of a new contract. Interest from other teams isnt there, besides Arizona, who arent willing to give up a 1st and are on his NTC.

I would be very happy to see him sign for 8 years at 7.5mil. My guess is that hes been happy here, enjoys the city and the team, but has been concerned about the direction the team is going. I dont blame for not wanting to be stuck in a rebuild if that was the direction. Conroy seems to be steering forward with some good moves.
what is your walk away amount and date though....if he was really willing to sign for 8 x $7.5M he would have signed by now. At some point they have to just call it a day in order to concentrate on getting the best trade value.
I am not sure the Flames are willing to go more than $7.5 M AAV for Hanifin which has been the rumoured AAV since Oct.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm thinking Hanifin is exactly the player that Tampa needs. Too bad they've already traded away their first round picks for 2024 and 2025.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Actually, the d-man I would look to move is Andersson
Only for a MASSIVE overpayment. Ras is an absolute stud, and I still think he has more room to grow on top of that.

Also, didn't someone share something the other day where Ras is one of 2 defencemen in the entire NHL with over 100 points and 350 blocks over the last 3 seasons. That's not the kind of guy you trade without massive overpayment (good young player+top prospect+multiple firsts type thing. Not a reasonable ask, that's why it's an overpayment. Trading a guy like this, leaves you looking to develop/sign another guy exactly like that).

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think that of the d-corps., Weegar is the best, followed by Hanifin, then Andersson, then Tanev.

Re-sign Hanifin for term. Andy's next contract might be too expensive for the team, ergo peddle him.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I appreciate that. He could have phoned it in like most the players who've said they wanted out. Instead, he's still busting his ass to make sure he's on a winning team, whether he stays or leaves.

Reactions: Felidae

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Hanifin was a beast last night
It might be harder to replace him than some people think ….

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
We'll be a bottom 5 club when he leaves. I'm getting the feeling it'll be to Tampa and the first will be in 2026. I'm also a bit worried the prospect and roster players won't be as coveted by fans as by mgmt. Just getting that underwhelming vibe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad