Player Discussion Noah Hanifin

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This team needs forwards badly. We need to be taking chances on guys on the periphery of their team’s top 6 through trades and loading up on as many top 90 picks as we can.

If we walk into the draft with only one 1st, it needs to be used on a forward.

We have help on the way for LD and defensemen are the most easily replaceable commodity in the league

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Noah Hanifin could be this teams best trade chip. Assuming Hanifin would be willing to re-sign with the Flames , and I have think it will take a lot of money and max term, does this team really need an expensive dman who will be 30 in 3 years while in the middle of a team rebuild? I believe it's better for the future Flames to trade him for prospects and picks.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As a team suddenly down two players (no speculation) and still have decent sized holes on their roster, NJD is a team I'd assume gets more aggressive soon. I think both rentals or long term pieces makes sense for them.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Coming in peace. How does a potential package for Hanifin look like/what pieces you desire and are there positional needs you guys have?

1st+A prospect+B prospect+roster player

I think that is a fair starting point for talks. Of course it would have to be a Trade and Sign. Thx
If you guys are coming to the table with Your top prospects, I'd hope we're listening good!
We'd need a top D prospect and one who could be depth now.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Coming in peace. How does a potential package for Hanifin look like/what pieces you desire and are there positional needs you guys have?

I think that is a fair starting point for talks. Of course it would have to be a Trade and Sign. Thx

Doubt Detroit would want to move edvinsson, ASP or Danielson so I guess that leaves Wallinder and/or Kasper as prospects that could be involved.

Probably happy to take back a contract Detroit wants to shed in that scenario to make it easier like Chiarot or Maata

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig
If you guys are coming to the table with Your top prospects, I'd hope we're listening good!
We'd need a top D prospect and one who could be depth now.

Doubt Detroit would want to move edvinsson, ASP or Danielson so I guess that leaves Wallinder and/or Kasper as prospects that could be involved.

Probably happy to take back a contract Detroit wants to shed in that scenario to make it easier like Chiarot or Maata

Thx,

we can’t give up Edvinsson and ASP cuz we’re still rebuilding. But Wallinder and Johannsson should absolutely be on table. They’re #3 and #4 in our dmen pool. Wallinder has more upside.

Someone you could take a look at as a sweetener is Shai Buium, 2021 second rounder with a panty dropping frame who hasn’t put it together yet.

I’d recommend Maatta over Chiarot. Only 1 yr left at 3mil. He struggled a lot this season cuz of ailments in the summer but has played well for us since New Years. Very good #5 and can help out in the top4 if needed.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Thx,

we can’t give up Edvinsson and ASP cuz we’re still rebuilding. But Wallinder and Johannsson should absolutely be on table. They’re #3 and #4 in our dmen pool. Wallinder has more upside.

Someone you could take a look at as a sweetener is Shai Buium, 2021 second rounder with a panty dropping frame who hasn’t put it together yet.

I’d recommend Maatta over Chiarot. Only 1 yr left at 3mil. He struggled a lot this season cuz of ailments in the summer but has played well for us since New Years. Very good #5 and can help out in the top4 if needed.
If we're giving up Hanifin, I'd hope we'd do better than Wallinder & stuff.
I'm guessing the Buium in this draft is his brother? Would make sense if they were targeting him with their 1st pick. I'm not too interested in either.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

1st + Wallinder + B Prospect + Cap would be a pretty solid return IMO. Really like the player profile on Wallinder, could be a great piece long term. 1st is a 1st. Good value.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
For an extended Hanifin the ask would be first + top prospect.

1st + either Danielson or ASP. Maybe… maybe they settle for a guy like Kasper.

Guy is literally a top 20 defencemen. And our fan base wants to trade him for a 1st and a guy like Wallinder who is pretty much on par with Solovyov and Kuznetsov. Like why would anyone want Wallinder over Kasper? I’m resigned to the fact that he likely won’t resign here but let’s not give away our best player for peanuts now.

Guy is literally a top 20 defencemen. And our fan base wants to trade him for a 1st and a guy like Wallinder who is pretty much on par with Solovyov and Kuznetsov. Like why would anyone want Wallinder over Kasper? I’m resigned to the fact that he likely won’t resign here but let’s not give away our best player for peanuts now.

You might be right on the price since he should have lots of suitors. Problem is also that he’s probably more valuable to other teams, because he prob wouldn’t get PP time with us right now (Ghost, Seider) or in the future (ASP, Seider). And I believe that someone will offer him at least 8x8. Don’t know if we’d be the team to pony up.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017

Feel like you don’t really see that level of prospect moved in these types of deals. Most recent one I can remember is Brannstrom going the other way in the Stone deal and they had to downgrade the first rounder to a second in that one

Would love ASP or Danielson but I don’t see Hanifin returning either. Even if he’s extended

I also really don’t see Hanifin as a top 20 defenseman at all so it could be we’re just really far apart on his value

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Feel like you don’t really see that level of prospect moved in these types of deals. Most recent one I can remember is Brannstrom going the other way in the Stone deal and they had to downgrade the first rounder to a second in that one

Would love ASP or Danielson but I don’t see Hanifin returning either. Even if he’s extended

I also really don’t see Hanifin as a top 20 defenseman at all so it could be we’re just really far apart on his value
He isn’t, he’s closing in on being an excellent #2 so right around that 30-40 range but top 20 is a large stretch and I say that as one of his more vocal fans on this board. He has been circling around top 20 even strength production for 3ish years now, but he’s a poor powerplay option and while it’s still good, he doesn’t have the great/elite defensive game to compensate for it.

I do agree with the previous poster though, you’d hope to get a very high end prospect out of a signed Hanifin at the expense of the 1st. A signed big 26 year old #2 carries high value, and you don’t get anything close to an equivalent value out of mid 1sts or B prospects.

In a perfect world you’d hope the basis is a prospect around or just under the caliber of a Danielson (a la Pacioretty for Suzuki) then build from there, if not then just keep him instead of a collection of much less valuable pieces.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Have to pretty strongly disagree with your assessment of Wallinder. In any case, 1st + ASP/Kasper seems good too.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
He isn’t, he’s closing in on being an excellent #2 so right around that 30-40 range but top 20 is a large stretch and I say that as one of his more vocal fans on this board. He has been circling around top 20 even strength production for 3ish years now, but he’s a poor powerplay option and while it’s still good, he doesn’t have the great/elite defensive game to compensate for it.

I do agree with the previous poster though, you’d hope to get a very high end prospect out of a signed Hanifin at the expense of the 1st. A signed big 26 year old #2 carries high value, and you don’t get anything close to an equivalent value out of mid 1sts or B prospects.

In a perfect world you’d hope the basis is a prospect around or just under the caliber of a Danielson (a la Pacioretty for Suzuki) then build from there, if not then just keep him instead of a collection of much less valuable pieces.
I can get on board with this assessment. I guess where I’d disagree is that if the best offer you have is a 1st + Wallinder/Kasper level prospect I’d probably take it as opposed to resigning him

Not because I don’t like the player but more because I think it just condemns the team to being mediocre. Huberdeau can’t be moved, Kadri seems like he’d be difficult to move at this stage too. I think the team almost has to move out Hanifin/Tanev/Lindholm for futures and then spend a couple of years being bottom 5

I doubt ownership agrees but being a maybe wildcard team/maybe 20th is just such a terrible spot to be in

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Flames re-signing Hanifin doesn't mean we don't re-tool. So many fans want to bottom out for seemingly ever (yet they won't accept losses in the regular season this year) and just stack a bunch of picks. Cool, look at where Buffalo, Edmonton, etc. are. Buffalo has 2 1st overalls on their backend, Flames are ahead of them in the standings. Edmonton has no d-men and they're in year 13 of their re-build because they've had to re-build their re-build of their re-build and are only relevant because of a generational talent. AND THEY STILL don't have quality NHL d-men, their only good d-man they got last year in Ekholm.

Trading Hanifin for a late 1st rounder and scrub prospects is not how you re-build, that's a shit package for a guy who is a 1b, 2a (2a = 2nd line) defender.
Lol this take on Edmonton aged well

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Do we know if Conny suggested a deadline for team Hanifin to accept the offer?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Do we know if Conny suggested a deadline for team Hanifin to accept the offer?
Well there was the moment earlier in the season where it was stated that contract extensions were no longer being negotiated. Maybe it was that, and Eric Francis is full of shit (again? still?).

There is no benefit to anyone in waiting to sign an extension if it's on the table. Every day closer to the trade deadline decreases the chance of an extension, in my opinion. Wait for the bidding war and see how desperate a GM becomes.

Reactions: joescores

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Leaving time lines open for signing legal documents always puts the side that prepared the doc at a huge disadvantage. I have no doubt they said something like if it's not signed in a week the tables contact is void and they would have to renegotiate.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
There was some insider comment in the last few days about how Hanifin was given until the ASB to let Conroy know what his intentions are.

Tbh I don’t think the market’s that hot for Hanifin. I predict he goes for a 1st, 2nd and a Schwindt level prospect to someone like Toronto. Most of the upper echelon teams are sorted on LD and it’s likely he’ll probably sign in Boston or somewhere up in NE USA

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Well there was the moment earlier in the season where it was stated that contract extensions were no longer being negotiated. Maybe it was that, and Eric Francis is full of shit (again? still?).

There is no benefit to anyone in waiting to sign an extension if it's on the table. Every day closer to the trade deadline decreases the chance of an extension, in my opinion. Wait for the bidding war and see how desperate a GM becomes.
Cheers mate, the only caveat to the waiting till TDL approach is- will #8 last? Will he not go down after some crazy block, or hit? I am getting worried about it and they should start sheltering his minutes asap

Reactions: Iggys Dome

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Noah Hanifin could be this teams best trade chip. Assuming Hanifin would be willing to re-sign with the Flames , and I have think it will take a lot of money and max term, does this team really need an expensive dman who will be 30 in 3 years while in the middle of a team rebuild? I believe it's better for the future Flames to trade him for prospects and picks.
this is the main reason there is any negotiating gong on, that said I almost get the feeling that the negotiation is one way, the Flames make an offer, Hanifin hums and haws, the Flames up the offer, Hanifin hesitates, the Flames up the offer, Hanifin says I am on All Star Break vacation.... time to cut the line and trade him.
If he was 29 this would have been handled the same way as Lindholm...ie here is a max term with our absolute highest $ amount offer, will you sign or not? no, you won't sign, ok please don't let it distract you but you will be traded by the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad