Speculation: Noah Hanifin on the trade block

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
He's honestly a decent #4, his contract isn't bad and he's still young + high pedigree. Calling him a top pairing guy is overrating him at the moment.

My bad. I didn't see Calgary play very much this year, looked good when I did. His stats aren't the greatest, but still young enough to turn around and an attractive cap hit if he does.

Reactions: Dack

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fair enough, it's just odd to see higher end young guys move so much. The only comparable I can think of is Hamilton. Again, good player, but there have been questions in the past about his locker room mentality. If he could ever play the right side effectively I'd pitch for him the leafs.
Hanifin and Johnny for Marner? Crazy idea? Cap works out close.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hmm....Seems a bit nuts to me.

My guess is that the Flames are looking for a more offensive blue line though. Could see the Flames bringing another big top 6 forward and a d-man with a booming shot. They'll have to clear room to do that. Hanifin may be on the block. As could players like Ryan and possibly Backlund.

The Flames plus Hall and a legit PP backing d-man would be a much harder team to play against.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
My bad. I didn't see Calgary play very much this year, looked good when I did. His stats aren't the greatest, but still young enough to turn around and an attractive cap hit if he does.

He was horrific with Hamonic, but pretty good with Andersson. He's a 3/4 dman right now, not a 2/3 but asked to log in a ton of hours. It is possible he turns out to be a 2/3 dman, but there's also risk he stagnates as a full time #4.

That's why I said we'd be listening if Mantha was indeed available with Hanifin as the main piece. :nod: The car would be ready for a quick getaway as soon as the papers were signed.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hmm....Seems a bit nuts to me.

My guess is that the Flames are looking for a more offensive blue line though. Could see the Flames bringing another big top 6 forward and a d-man with a booming shot. They'll have to clear room to do that. Hanifin may be on the block. As could players like Ryan and possibly Backlund.

The Flames plus Hall and a legit PP backing d-man would be a much harder team to play against.

I think part of the problem with Hanifin is that we have too many rovers. Brodie and Hanifin are both pure rovers (not to be confused with offensive minded defense man) and you can't get a pure stay at home dman like Hamonic to cover for that, you have to have a guy who can occasionally be scary aggressive down low as well to keep opposition on their toes (ie: Andersson). Gio also begins to have a tendency to go from offensive minded to partial rogue and way down deep when he's comfortable with Brodie holding the fort.

If Brodie is gone, I think we are in a situation where the dcorps is better structured defensively to deal with the rovers. But with our current 2.5 rovers in the top 4, it's a chaotic mess at times.

This has also been discussed regarding Hall. If we have a ton of rovers and another chaotic system breaker like Hall... our play style is going to be an absolute adventure on both ends of the ice. But if both Brodie AND Hanifin are gone, I think we can absorb his chaotic play a bit more.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Hanifin and Johnny for Marner? Crazy idea? Cap works out close.
value pov, yeah. Needs pov, nah. Hanifin is on the left where the leafs have rielly, muzz, dermott, Sandin, and potentially lehtonen. If hanifin could effectively play the right side I'd be all for it. Cgy likely asks for more than marner in a swap like that too, the more part I'm not sure how to gauge

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Why though? You think Treliving would learn from trading his last “#3 defencemen” who turned out to be arguably as good as Slavin for the Canes

the return has to be big or it’s a mistake

Reactions: Fig

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
He was horrific with Hamonic, but pretty good with Andersson. He's a 3/4 dman right now, not a 2/3 but asked to log in a ton of hours. It is possible he turns out to be a 2/3 dman, but there's also risk he stagnates as a full time #4.

That's why I said we'd be listening if Mantha was indeed available with Hanifin as the main piece. :nod: The car would be ready for a quick getaway as soon as the papers were signed.

DET is seriously lacking LD. Hanifin fits right into their rebuild and the current age of their core. Mantha himself comes with some risk (injuries) plus he's due for a new contract.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Why though? You think Treliving would learn from trading his last “#3 defencemen” who turned out to be arguably as good as Slavin for the Canes

the return has to be big or it’s a mistake

LD logjam.

To be fair, he also packaged Ferland and Fox which were declining value assets in the Flames hands to nab Lindholm as well. I don't think Fox's value would have increased in Calgary's hands. IMO Carolina got lucky that NYR got impatient and overpaid to get him early.

We don't need to move Hanifin, but he's not exactly the piece we need right now if Brodie/Hamonic/Gustavsson are out. He's the type of player and cap hit that we could potentially move him for pure futures or in a lateral move for a RD.

The interesting part of moving Hanifin is how versatile our options are for replacements in the RD suddenly become. Sure, something along the lines of Barrie making 6 ish seems kinda logical in general, but if we unlock a ton of cap from Hanifin via futures and Brodie/Hamonic/Gustavsson out, we can afford to take a swing at someone like AP (albeit, the Gio/Tkachuk chap could heavily hinder such a concept).

Either way, moving Hanifin helps to shuffle the roster, futures and/or cap structure quite a bit and can likely help Treliving a ton in retooling the roster to be more long term of an annual post season contender in the same in the same way moving Hamilton helped to increase our contention window.

The funny thing is, you mentioning moving him is a mistake is the same reason why other teams might want to take that gamble. I don't think Hanifin stagnates as a #4 dman. It's whether he becomes a super solid #2 or a #3 long term that's the question. I've liked Hanifin since the draft and I'd rather keep him, but I agree with others that he's the easiest piece to move.

DET is seriously lacking LD. Hanifin fits right into their rebuild and the current age of their core. Mantha himself comes with some risk (injuries) plus he's due for a new contract.

He's playing top line minutes which is adding to the injuries issues due to usage, isn't it? Treliving LOVES RFA negotiations and the guy is a wizard at it. The RFA is a bonus challenge he loves because he's good at them and he gets a discount on those players. I still think Mantha is worth more, but if you insist...

Tkachuk - Bennett - Mantha

Yikes. That would be a 2nd line that would seemingly be universally hated over night. Heck, even a middle 6 of:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Bennett - Mantha

Would be hated.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
You start to wonder then what's going on with hanafin. Potentially 3 teams in four years for a guy that has loads of untapped potential. Something seems...off.
the saying of loads of untapped potential gets super tiring for every acquiring team. They all end up disappointed in him. Just accept him for what he is. A good defensive D with low to decent offensive capability.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I didn’t hear them say that. From what I heard, they were wondering if the Flames would be thinking about trading him. They asked Johnston, who basically said it could be a possibility.

Not that I heard it all, but I certainly didn’t get anything near “very likely” from listening to it.

From what I heard, they said he is very likely to be traded. I did contact them but now answer.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Max Domi and Brett Kulak

Calgary gets an infusion of energy in their top 6, brings back a more developed Kulak on a cheap contract. Thoughts?

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
I wanted Hanafin in Detroit for a long time but Not willing to give up Mantha whom is also a need for our rebuild

Mantha is going to be overpaid, plus injury concerns. Draft Raymond at 4 and he replaces Mantha. Hanifin immediately helps DET's lack of LD, he would slot in right behind Dekeyser.

A top 4 combo of Hanifin, Hronek, DeKeyser and Seider looks pretty good. Plus they can still sign Krug as well.

Reactions: SnipeNCelly

Bond

May 10, 2012
Max Domi and Brett Kulak

Calgary gets an infusion of energy in their top 6, brings back a more developed Kulak on a cheap contract. Thoughts?
I don't hate it depending on what Domi wants for a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad