Speculation: Noah Hanifin on the trade block

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It sounded like you guys needed offense on the backend from a RD, and weren't at all happy with Hanifin at LD where you have depth. I wouldn't say ADA is terrible on defense or anything, but he's one of the better offensive d-men in the league so you're not just getting some bum who can't defend. He's going to get you a crapload of quality zone entries and keep the other team pinned in their own end.

NYR fans trying to sell Calgary on ADA are doing so in a manner that's rivaling MLM "small business owners".

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
NYR fans trying to sell Calgary on ADA are doing so in a manner that's rivaling MLM "small business owners".
I know. A couple of them report you for slander for stating well documented facts. If he played better defense I'd be willing to overlook some of the off ice stuff, but he's a 3rd pairing guy defensively. We need a middle pairing RHD defensively.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY

How good do you think Hanifin is, honestly?

I could give a crap if we trade ADA or not. The issue really isn't his play, but the fact that he's overqualified as a third pairing RD, needs to be resigned, and we have some serious stud prospects coming up at RD. This isn't a situation where NYR needs to trade somebody, but our team has other glaring holes, and amazing depth at RD. Trouba can't be moved, Fox is our best d-man, that leaves ADA. If Trouba could be moved, I'd rather keep ADA to be honest.

Let's not act like Hanifin and ADA are in different realms as players. I honestly believe Calgary would be getting the better player, but NYR really needs stability on LD right now. You wanna act like a 24 y/o d-man who can put up 50+ points is trash being peddled on you, be my guest. 100% guarantee that if they're both UFAs right now, ADA gets significantly more money and interest on the open market.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I could give a crap if we trade ADA or not. The issue really isn't his play, but the fact that he's overqualified as a third pairing RD, needs to be resigned, and we have some serious stud prospects coming up at RD. This isn't a situation where NYR needs to trade somebody, but our team has other glaring holes, and amazing depth at RD. Trouba can't be moved, Fox is our best d-man, that leaves ADA. If Trouba could be moved, I'd rather keep ADA to be honest.

Let's not act like Hanifin and ADA are in different realms as players. I honestly believe Calgary would be getting the better player, but NYR really needs stability on LD right now. You wanna act like a 24 y/o d-man who can put up 50+ points is trash being peddled on you, be my guest. 100% guarantee that if they're both UFAs right now, ADA gets significantly more money and interest on the open market.

This is why I love Ranger fans. Guy gets run out of 2 markets, can't play defense and he's worth more than the guy who was traded for a Norris candidate. Hanifin returned Hamilton. DeAngelo was a throw in for an overpaid 2nd line center, but yes, he's WAY more valuable. I don't think highly of Hanifin. He's a #3, but he's a good teammate and average defensively.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
This is why I love Ranger fans. Guy gets run out of 2 markets, can't play defense and he's worth more than the guy who was traded for a Norris candidate. Hanifin returned Hamilton. DeAngelo was a throw in for an overpaid 2nd line center, but yes, he's WAY more valuable.
I didn't realize that former trades inform current trade value.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I know. A couple of them report you for slander for stating well documented facts. If he played better defense I'd be willing to overlook some of the off ice stuff, but he's a 3rd pairing guy defensively. We need a middle pairing RHD defensively.

He's middle pairing defensively. His defensive issues are certainly there, but anyone who claims he's third pairing D quality hasn't watched him, hasn't read any data points on him, and doesn't know what they're talking about. And his offense isn't just good, it's elite. He's not your run of the mill "defensively challenged puck moving d-man." You're getting serious offensive abilities.

Reactions: _Del_

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Blah, blah, blah.

Calgary isn't interested in ADA. The majority of this has nothing to do with trade value, but there have been a ridiculous amount of posts from NYR fans that are along the lines of ADA for Lindholm or ADA for Hanifin even though Flames fans aren't interested at all in ADA. The persistence and the bad blood that has transpired due to it is why it's getting annoying.

If you guys don't need to move ADA, but are open to moving ADA to fix other holes, cool. More power to you. Just ask someone other than the Calgary Flames about ADA.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
This is why I love Ranger fans. Guy gets run out of 2 markets, can't play defense and he's worth more than the guy who was traded for a Norris candidate. Hanifin returned Hamilton. DeAngelo was a throw in for an overpaid 2nd line center, but yes, he's WAY more valuable. I don't think highly of Hanifin. He's a #3, but he's a good teammate and average defensively.

By your logic, Hanifin was run out of a market for a guy who was run out of two markets, and now is reportedly "available" again.

"Traded for a Norris candidate years ago" isn't value, my man.

Being one of the best offensive d-men in hockey last year while playing third pair minutes next to Marc Staal, is value.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
By your logic, Hanifin was run out of a market for a guy who was run out of two markets, and now is reportedly "available" again.

"Traded for a Norris candidate years ago" isn't value, my man.

Being one of the best offensive d-men in hockey last year while playing third pair minutes next to Marc Staal, is value.

He was top 10 in voting this year and has been top 15 in each of the last 3 years. He's not a "candidate from years ago."

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Blah, blah, blah.

Calgary isn't interested in ADA. The majority of this has nothing to do with trade value, but there have been a ridiculous amount of posts from NYR fans that are along the lines of ADA for Lindholm or ADA for Hanifin even though Flames fans aren't interested at all in ADA. The persistence and the bad blood that has transpired due to it is why it's getting annoying.

If you guys don't need to move ADA, but are open to moving ADA to fix other holes, cool. More power to you. Just ask someone other than the Calgary Flames about ADA.

LMAO "bad blood."

Please explain to somebody in real life, who isn't a member of any forums.

Can't wait til the next Rangers-Flames broadcast.

"Lots of bad blood between these two fanbases, Sam. It all started months ago when Ranger fans were proposing Noah Hanifin trade proposals on the HFBoards internet forum, which did not sit well with the Flames contingent! I expect there to be a lot of action in the crowd today, possibly some brawls."

"Wait a minute Joe, I'm hearing now that the NHL has proposed Rangers-Flames at Yankee Stadium for the next Winter Classic, the BAD BLOOD due to sour internet forum trade proposals has reached a boiling point, and this was too good of a rivalry opportunity to pass up!"

Of all the inciting incidents in NYR feud history, I'd say these are my top three:

1. Milbury beats MSG fan with his own shoe
2. Denis Potvin breaks Ulf Nilsson's ankle
3. Weak Noah Hanifin trade proposals on HFBoards.

Might be time to go outside and get fresh air...

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
LMAO "bad blood."

Please explain to somebody in real life, who isn't a member of any forums.

Can't wait til the next Rangers-Flames broadcast.

"Lots of bad blood between these two fanbases, Sam. It all started months ago when Ranger fans were proposing Noah Hanifin trade proposals on the HFBoards internet forum, which did not sit well with the Flames contingent! I expect there to be a lot of action in the crowd today, possibly some brawls."

"Wait a minute Joe, I'm hearing now that the NHL has proposed Rangers-Flames at Yankee Stadium for the next Winter Classic, the BAD BLOOD due to sour internet forum trade proposals has reached a boiling point, and this was too good of a rivalry opportunity to pass up!"

Of all the inciting incidents in NYR feud history, I'd say these are my top three:

1. Milbury beats MSG fan with his own shoe
2. Denis Potvin breaks Ulf Nilsson's ankle
3. Weak Noah Hanifin trade proposals on HFBoards.

Might be time to go outside and get fresh air...

If you actually think Flames fans think that there's bad blood between the management of two franchises because of what we're discussing here, I think you're still proving that you're pushing as hard as an MLM in the HF threads and you probably are the one who needs to get some fresh air.

I'm obviously talking about the HF threads which I agree with you are meaningless in real life, but annoying as hell for those of us trying to waste time on HF and imagine the concepts. We're discussing ideas and concepts for fun on HFboards, but my goodness some of you act like we've pissed on someone's grave by not wanting to consider ADA in Flames silks in those discussions.

Seriously, ya'll should go get some fresh air and shake your head that the knuckle dragging prairie boys don't know what a talent ADA is. Your fan base attempts to enlighten us are falling on deaf ears. We appreciate the effort, but prefer to stay stupid about ADA. Thanks.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
If you actually think Flames fans think that there's bad blood between the management of two franchises because of what we're discussing here, I think you're still proving that you're pushing as hard as an MLM in the HF threads and you probably are the one who needs to get some fresh air.

I'm obviously talking about the HF threads which I agree with you are meaningless in real life, but annoying as hell for those of us trying to waste time on HF and imagine the concepts. We're discussing ideas and concepts for fun on HFboards, but my goodness some of you act like we've pissed on someone's grave by not wanting to consider ADA in Flames silks in those discussions.

Seriously, ya'll should go get some fresh air and shake your head that the knuckle dragging prairie boys don't know what a talent ADA is. Your fan base attempts to enlighten us are falling on deaf ears. We appreciate the effort, but prefer to stay stupid about ADA. Thanks.

Read my thread again, I didn't say anything about management.

Nobody in NYR fandom is pining for Hanifin. He'd be a nice piece that makes sense in our lineup, but nobody's like "OMG we need Hanifin!" It's just one common example of two teams swapping players based on needs. If you don't like ADA, I can't convince you. And if you think Hanifin's value is that he was traded years ago for Dougie Hamilton, then I def can't convince you.

Whether you'd deal Hanifin for ADA is one thing, but to act like NYR fans are trying to push garbage on you, GTFO. ADA is a stud, so is Hanifin. Discussing both players in trade possibilities is a logical thing, regardless of whether you are interested.

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Hanifin was only available as the center piece for An extended Taylor Hall (while also getting Vatanen to replace him as best he can). Rumours are that Treliving was not willing to pull the deal off because NJ wouldn’t allow him to talk to Hall about an extension.

An extended Taylor Hall is waaaaaaaaayyyyy more valuable than DeAngelo. Please let us never speak of DeAngeo again in this thread.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hanifin was only available as the center piece for An extended Taylor Hall (while also getting Vatanen to replace him as best he can). Rumours are that Treliving was not willing to pull the deal off because NJ wouldn’t allow him to talk to Hall about an extension.

An extended Taylor Hall is waaaaaaaaayyyyy more valuable than DeAngelo. Please let us never speak of DeAngeo again in this thread.
Ranger fans want to pump this guy up and dump him on someone. It's so obvious. He's got nice boxcars, but can't defend. They know this deep down. They also know his arb case is strong with the counting stats and he'll end up overpaid for what he is. A younger Gustafsson.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Nobody in NYR fandom is pining for Hanifin. He'd be a nice piece that makes sense in our lineup, but nobody's like "OMG we need Hanifin!" It's just one common example of two teams swapping players based on needs. If you don't like ADA, I can't convince you. And if you think Hanifin's value is that he was traded years ago for Dougie Hamilton, then I def can't convince you.

Whether you'd deal Hanifin for ADA is one thing, but to act like NYR fans are trying to push garbage on you, GTFO. ADA is a stud, so is Hanifin. Discussing both players in trade possibilities is a logical thing, regardless of whether you are interested.

Translation:
giphy.gif

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

The point is that Calgary doesn't need to trade Hanifin. Trading Hanifin for a lesser defenceman makes zero sense for Calgary.

It's looking more and more likely like Calgary is not considering blowing it up this year. The owners have told management to spend to the cap. So you have to provide an offer to Calgary that actually makes them a better team. Lesser player of the same position plus marginal future asset does nothing for Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad