No one hates St.Louis winning the cup?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I will never forget some basically "total puck control", which the Blues did in the 2nd period of game 4. The 2nd home game for St.Louis.
Not all period but for a stretch, the Blues really dominated!

They play as good of a team game again as any in I’ve seen in the playoffs. I’m not saying theyre overAll as good as the hawks pens and caps teams but their team game is stronger. If that makes sense. Those multiple cup winning teams still gave up loads of chances with their high octane offense but the blues not only controlled the puck, they control the shot clock usually, they dictate the pace and they all work together, Berube is amazing. It’s absurd that this is the same team that was dead last at New Years.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
it's hard to be mad at a team winning the cup for the first time when they weren't awarded with a ton of high picks

Blues were a team built through shrewd trading, good UFA signings and great drafting
exact. And it sums it up. A great all around team. Everyone did their part and they won through hard work!

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Hate the Blues in general but don't care about the cup win, huh.

What I did hate was watching the uncalled blatant obstruction in this years playoffs hit what I feel is a post-lockout (04/05) high which had a HUGE effect on which teams performed better & which faltered more easily.

So the playoffs as a whole were hard to watch.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
I think it is hate for Boston after the way they won in 2011 versus love of the Blues.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
it's hard to be mad at a team winning the cup for the first time when they weren't awarded with a ton of high picks

Blues were a team built through shrewd trading, good UFA signings and great drafting

True. They built a deep, physical team with big defenders. Their future is bright too. Everybody is in their primes and have Thomas, Kyrou and Kostin ready. Thomas at 19 yrs old already proved he’s ready. The kid is legit.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I do, they gooned and can't-call-them-all'd their way to the Cup, that will have a terrible impact on the league next year.

Reactions: jls24

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
In the last 15 years, Boston has 11 championships across their Big 4 sports teams. St. Louis has a few likable storylines but I think most of it has to do with the city they were up against.

Walter Tkasobchuk

May 27, 2019
I do, they gooned and can't-call-them-all'd their way to the Cup, that will have a terrible impact on the league next year.
It’s quite disingenuous to their team connectivity and overall effective game plan to categorize what they did as “goon”. The amount of clean hits with strategic intent exhibited displayed a great understanding of cost/benefit in real time.

Aka, they played the style suited to their personnel with great impact! Look at it as a complete picture, they outmanned their opponents and took advantage of a frustrated league. It was hard to score on Binner, granted.. but even more difficult to find the opportunity to score. The Blues were suffocatingly relentless. You call it being a goon (misappropriately I might add, but that’s another discussion), I call it game theory. People do the same thing to all the historical teams that just outworked and outsmarted their competition ie Celtics, Pistons (2 eras), LA Kings, Spurs, and Patriots.

This team didn’t just beat them up and wear them down physically, they outsmarted their opponent by mastering real time risk assessment. If you can’t appreciate that.... to each their own

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It’s quite disingenuous to their team connectivity and overall effective game plan to categorize what they did as “goon”. The amount of clean hits with strategic intent exhibited displayed a great understanding of cost/benefit in real time.

Strategically placed into opponents' heads.

Reactions: jls24

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Strategically placed into opponents' heads.
Yeah and we strategically avoided hitting Bergeron, Pastrnak, and Marchand in the head because we were afraid it might knock some sense into them and they'd start scoring more than a combined 3 even strength points in 7 games.

We were also trying to get suspended to make our lineup worse. It worked out really well as we went 0-2 in games where a Blue was out due to suspension. That definitely went according to plan.

Don't get me started on Blues/Sharks games 5 and 6. Every single one of our 10 goals were scored immediately after a hit to the head. And we held the Sharks to 1 goal by simply headshotting them every time they were about to score. Disgraceful if you ask me.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Yeah and we strategically avoided hitting Bergeron, Pastrnak, and Marchand in the head because we were afraid it might knock some sense into them and they'd start scoring more than a combined 3 even strength points in 7 games.

We were also trying to get suspended to make our lineup worse. It worked out really well as we went 0-2 in games where a Blue was out due to suspension. That definitely went according to plan.

Don't get me started on Blues/Sharks games 5 and 6. Every single one of our 10 goals were scored immediately after a hit to the head. And we held the Sharks to 1 goal by simply headshotting them every time they were about to score. Disgraceful if you ask me.

You forgot the head shots they gave to Martin Jones as he was walking from the team bus to the arenas.

Reactions: HighNote

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Blues short circuited a parade in Boston. The Bruins are unlikely to make it to the finals in 2020 and the Leafs were speedily dispatched in the first2019 round. in 2019.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Even as a fan of the team I'm still amazed by this.

The Blues had 3 top-5 picks on the roster. #5OA in Brayden Schenn, #4OA in Alex Pietrangelo, and the highest at #3OA in Jay Bouwmeester... Hell, those are the only three players on the roster to be drafted in the top-10 in any draft. The next closest to Schenn is Jaden Schwartz at #14 OA.

Not only did the Blues not have any high picks on the roster, but they really only had one elite player out of the three they did have. It's honestly incredible to know that a team with a lot of good talent came to being with little help from the top of the draft.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
All hockey fans outside of Boston agree, it’s hard to hate a team that made Marchand cry crocodile tears.

member 305909

If nobody hates you it means you are boring and that's not good either.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Don't understand why you didn't add some sort of poll.

Yeah, I was also happy for the Blues.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
No I mean they threw the rule book out for them - they injured their way to win and it was not fun to see good teams and great players get cheated like that.

That’s your opinion.

Vancouver isn’t a good matchup for Boston back then, the Sedins and luongo were no shows when it mattered Most in the finals they were outscored in the aeries by a couple touchdowns. Vancouver usually blows up everything (no riot pun intended) to look worse then is. Some of there fans still believe it’s a conspiracy that they haven’t made the playoffs the last few years And I’m not kidding. I live in BC and hear it daily, every time a penalty is called their colour analyst John Garrett (who picks them to win the cup every season, no seriously every season ...) every call that takes place it has to pass his vision test. Yet no penalty that goes against the other team ever is under question. Infact he goes out of his way to say what should be one during the games and the PBP guy shorthouse keeps him in line. I know every analysts have homers but it’s ridiculous in Vancouver because fans hear him and believe conspiracies theories even more.

Sometimes it’s a bad match up, Vancouver had no answers for Boston’s relentless pace when it mattered and had chances but could not finish. Thomas stole the series of anyrhing and that’s not the fault of the zebras or the league.

That Vancouver team might of been “great” with two presidents trophy wins but that same core only one one playoff game versus an 8 seed in the next two years combined, they went 1-8 vs the kings and sharks. And yup once again Canuck fans thought they were robbed. They can never just lose. They’re always robbed. No accountability, and maybe they’re just not as good as everyone thought, back then you llydd your division 8 times each and their North west division was absolutely awful so over half their schedule wAs versus them but they were still great teams. I wouldn’t say elite teams like they think but definitely great. They just under achieved and they can lose without being robbed.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
They're kind of hard to hate.

They're not an Original 6 team, so there won't be any deep-seated rivalry-type hate.
It's not like they're a perennial Cup winner or even a regular threat for the Cup, so no jealousy-type hate.
They don't have any Marchand types on their team.
A lot of ex-players that have played in multiple cities end up making their homes there after retirement. This speaks well to the fans, the people, and the city in general.
A lot of ex-Blues players showed up in the Finals to lend their support to the team.
And they hadn't won until this year, so I suspect that they would have had a lot of non-Blues fans like myself pulling for them.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
central fan here. No, don't hate it. hard working team, and their fans as a whole seem to be very low on the whining spectrum. I don't find them boring, either.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad