Pre-Game Talk: No Dion & The Return Of Ben|Leafs vs Kings|Wednesday @ 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I seriously hope Nonis doesn't use that in negotiations. That comes across as unprofessional and spiteful, basically implying that Phaneuf isn't as important to the franchise as he would like to believe. As I seem to recall, Dion loves Toronto and wants to stay. Something has to be said about loyalty in this matter. We're not some expansion team who's going to desperate lengths to put people in the seats. Management should be sending a message to players like Phaneuf that the franchise values them, but at the same time there needs to be a give and take where the future is concerned.

I don't expect Nonis to come up and say "ok Dion, remember those 3 games you were suspended for, yeah our defence kicked ass in those games, we're perfectly fine without you, if you want to be here then we'll have you but only for 6 million a year for 5 years"

I expect that Phaneuf's agent will bring up how terrible the team's defence would be without Phaneuf, drawing on the vast difference between Dion's GA On/60 and his GA Off/60 among other stats I'm sure. Nonis could combat this leverage or at least bring a little doubt into that theory if the Leafs played a good couple games without him.

It obviously won't be the center of negotiations but either way I'd expect the teams performance in the games without Phaneuf to be brought up(more than likely by Dion agent if they defence plays terrible) even if it's just a minor side thing in the talks.

Granted I've never been involved in NHL contract talks so I don't have that good of an idea in how these things go down.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
18 wheeler refering to our lineup fully healthy.

Rightnow we are missing 3 load bearing tires(Bolland, Lupul, Bozak), possibly loosing a 4th(Dion). How have we managed to stay on the road to the playoffs?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Rightnow we are missing 3 load bearing tires(Bolland, Lupul, Bozak), possibly loosing a 4th(Dion). How have we managed to stay on the road to the playoffs?

we've slowed down with all those busted tires, learning from our mistakes, trying not to drive off the side of the cliff like last time. However at this slower speed it might take us twice as long to arrive at our destination :(

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

It's the Leafs, gotta expect the unexpected :laugh:

BayStreetBullies*

Time to turn the tables. Kessel highsticks Kopitar, ref doesn't call it, Phil goes on to score. :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If the Leafs can't manage a few games without Phaneuf some GM's have some explaining to do.

Certainly, he'll be missed but if they fall apart perhaps it is time to rethink the strategy.

In the past Leafs' teams have lost key player but the team has come together and played a stronger team game.

So maybe the question about whether this is a team or a collection of individuals will be addressed.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I know bernier played the last game but it would be cruel if carlyle doesn't let bernier face his old team.

Even though I'd like to see a scrivens-reimer duel, bernier deserves the start.

I'm predicting a 2-1 leafs win

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
With Dion out i don't have much hope for this game. Kings are cup contenders. Dion is the only good defensman we have.:help: Predicitng a loss.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
The Dion detractors will get a chance to see the team without him. I don't know what is going to happen. Definitely less sightings of a defenceman rocking onto the heels of his skates as he passes.

Mr Scarface*

Kings D is solid. Strong. They are physically in good shape. (I've seen some of them games and they have been training hard). It shows in everything, they can handle 60 minutes and push strong. They also play a smart game book that contains solid passing lane cuts and all the players are working the position very well.

With our injuries and phaneuf being squatting hard elsewhere I can't see us winning this one. We lose like 5-2 I think. Empty netter here and there like a turtles game on commodore 64 and not working anymore.

We need our tough guys back in Bolland, Orr... Bozak back etc so we can play special teams and that face off game.

We have to do something exceptional in this game if we want a win here. Even that might not be enough. It's christmas time like they say in Die Hard 2 so this is a cool time in life. Love your ladies and men and cuddle hard. That makes everything go so smooth. Even hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad