Pre-Game Talk: No Dion & The Return Of Ben|Leafs vs Kings|Wednesday @ 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
guess I'll have to burn my Kings jersey.... along with all the bridges I made with all my hockey friends in LA........

Totally worth it, GO LEAFS GO!

BayStreetBullies*

Leafs will make the Kings their Queens. ;)

Go Leafs Go!

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Leafs do not possess the talent to lay off the pedal at any moment in the game. Conversely, the Kings could completely coast the first 50 min and turn it up in the last 10 min to burn us.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I'm guessing it will be scrivens vs reamer

Kinda wanted to see bernier vs his old team, but also pretty interested in how reims and scrivy play against each other.

Probably the only thing I'm looking forward to. Want to see a low scoring game and hopefully atleast a point

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Interested in who starts, but will probably be Bernier versus Scrivens since its Bernier playing his former team for the first time since he was drafted. Although I prefer Reimer in this game since he's been playing better as of late as oppose to Bernier (imo)

Other than that, Dion looks like he'll be gone for 2 games so our defense will be severely tested but it will probably be Gardiner who will take most of the minutes since he's been playing almost as much as Phaneuf in the last few games.

Scrivens has been playing lights out for LA so far so I don't see us getting more than 2 goals on him so I think we'll lose 4 - 2 (Hope I'm wrong)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Going to be a tough night on whoever is in net. I'd probably expect to see Bernier for the old team factor.

Either way without Phaneuf the blueline is really going to be a weak. Going to need to be on their game and play smart out there.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's a Dion!!! It's a Double Dion!!!!

If we had a Double Dion we could play the 2nd one when the 1st one was suspended :P

This ain't gonna be pretty :(

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Though I kind of hope we go on a winning streak without him(obviously, I'd always want to go on a winning streak but moreso no because of the Dion contract aspect), might get him to lower his contract demands if we prove we can win without him. If we prove we can't win without him that's going to make contract negotiations that much more difficult for Nonis

BayStreetBullies*

Though I kind of hope we go on a winning streak without him(obviously, I'd always want to go on a winning streak but moreso no because of the Dion contract aspect), might get him to lower his contract demands if we prove we can win without him. If we prove we can't win without him that's going to make contract negotiations that much more difficult for Nonis

That depends, how long will he be suspended? Certainly not long enough to make a reasonable argument as to whether or not the Leafs can win without their best defenceman and captain.

I just care about the 2 pts, that's the bottom line.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That depends, how long will he be suspended? Certainly not long enough to make a reasonable argument as to whether or not the Leafs can win without their best defenceman and captain.

I just care about the 2 pts, that's the bottom line.

you're right, he won't be suspended long enough to prove anything either way.

Though if it is a train wreck(which most people are expecting it to be) then that would just reinforce Phanuef's GA Off/60 min stat which is one of the worst in the league compared to his GA On/60 minutes for #1 Defencemen in the league.

All signs now point to him being incredibly important to our defence so if we come out and lay and egg then I could see him and his agent using that along with the other stuff as leverage in the contract negotiations.

If we come out and play well and win 2 or 3 games it probably won't make much difference but Nonis could use that as reasoning against Phaneufs argument when his agent bring up stuff like how many goals we give up when Phanuef is off the ice compared to on the ice.

Either way there won't be much leverage to gain for either side but it could bring a little reinforcement or doubt into one of the arguments depending on if it's a train wreck or if we play well.

BayStreetBullies*

you're right, he won't be suspended long enough to prove anything either way.

Though if it is a train wreck(which most people are expecting it to be) then that would just reinforce Phanuef's GA Off/60 min stat which is one of the worst in the league compared to his GA On/60 minutes for #1 Defencemen in the league.

All signs now point to him being incredibly important to our defence so if we come out and lay and egg then I could see him and his agent using that along with the other stuff as leverage in the contract negotiations.

If we come out and play well and win 2 or 3 games it probably won't make much difference but Nonis could use that as reasoning against Phaneufs argument when his agent bring up stuff like how many goals we give up when Phanuef is off the ice compared to on the ice.

Either way there won't be much leverage to gain for either side but it could bring a little reinforcement or doubt into one of the arguments depending on if it's a train wreck or if we play well.

I seriously hope Nonis doesn't use that in negotiations. That comes across as unprofessional and spiteful, basically implying that Phaneuf isn't as important to the franchise as he would like to believe. As I seem to recall, Dion loves Toronto and wants to stay. Something has to be said about loyalty in this matter. We're not some expansion team who's going to desperate lengths to put people in the seats. Management should be sending a message to players like Phaneuf that the franchise values them, but at the same time there needs to be a give and take where the future is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad