Confirmed Trade: [NJD/SJS] Meier (50%), Harrington, Ibragimov, Emond, Hatakka, ‘24 5th for ‘23 1st, cond ‘24 1st, Johnsson, Okhotiuk, Mukhamadullin, Zetterlund, 24 7th

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Unforced error from the Devils. All the defensive posts pointing to isolated stretches of solid xGF% play miss the point. In the market you pay for points. If just putting up good underlying stats was enough than Michael Bunting would be much richer. Smart teams acquire guys like that cheaply, not like this. At no point in his Devils tenure has Meier looked like he'll produce enough to justify this deal.
9 goals in 21 games last year?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Christ I'm a little tired of the Meier bashing every game. He's going through it right now for sure. He was injured when he was traded to the Devils, got a concussion in the playoffs, and had an injury this season that's coming back from. Of course he's playing like crap but the daily dissection of this trade and chalking it up to a bust not even a half of a season into an 8 year extension is just such a waste of time.

He'll be fine.

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sharks fans: Is he really even that good or did the Sharks know he was overrated?

I, as a Devils fan, propose a trade back. We even got him signed for y'all, he's yours now.
He was fantastic with the Sharks. It might just be a case of a guy who fit really well in one system and got bucketloads of ice time and puck touches because there wasn’t many guys who could do it as well as he did…

Meier had phenomenal chemistry with Hertl (they were menaces on the cycle, just pure dominance) and Karlsson loved to pass to Meier because he was one of the few guys who could actually receive a pass.

To answer your question, I have no idea what’s going on. He was legitimately great as a Shark and I’m genuinely shocked how poor he looks with the Devils. If you want a cycling power center… we’ll give you Hertl for like, Mercer and Casey. ;)

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Timo has always been a bit of a streaky player and based on the skating metrics posted above it does seem like he is playing at not 100%. I am sure that he will get back to his old self and be a 30+ goal power forward for NJ.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Massive regret taking this guy in fantasy because I trusted all the “experts” who say how great he is over my own eyes. I’ve always thought he was one of the most overrated players in the league, and he’s looked absolutely horrible ever since the trade.
I took him too :facepalm:

Though I dumped him a few weeks back, nobody picked him back up.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Christ I'm a little tired of the Meier bashing every game. He's going through it right now for sure. He was injured when he was traded to the Devils, got a concussion in the playoffs, and had an injury this season that's coming back from. Of course he's playing like crap but the daily dissection of this trade and chalking it up to a bust not even a half of a season into an 8 year extension is just such a waste of time.

He'll be fine.
He's been going through it since Feb of last year, that is almost 1 full calendar year.

He is on pace to score less than 15 goals, and on pace for around 30 points this season. Yea no cause for concern to a guy who just got a nice paycheck for the next 8 years, at least not for him.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I don’t get why sports have guaranteed contracts. If we don’t perform at work we’re fired and no pay. A team should be able to void contracts if performance isn’t shown.
If a person signs a contract and fulfills the conditions of the contract than they should be compensated according to the agreed upon terms of the contract. That is true in hockey and it should be true universally. The owners do not deserve more money.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don’t get why sports have guaranteed contracts. If we don’t perform at work we’re fired and no pay. A team should be able to void contracts if performance isn’t shown.
At your job, if someone offers you more money or a better situation you can leave with no strings attached.

Do you propose the same right for athletes?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If a person signs a contract and fulfills the conditions of the contract than they should be compensated according to the agreed upon terms of the contract. That is true in hockey and it should be true universally. The owners do not deserve more money.
Im not saying im agreeing or disageeing with this idea but........Owners get 50% of HRR. If they were able to cancel contracts it wouldn't make them any more or less money.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
How are Okhotiuk and Shakir doing? Looking like an immense quality haul for Meier by SJ if these two become regulars.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Well, I can clock in at my job and then by lunch time tell my employer I'm done with this shit. Should players also be able to walk out on their own team if another organization offers them a better deal?

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Then should players be able to void contracts if they're outperforming their compensation? If guaranteed contracts disappear, prepare for players to hold out for contract renegotiations even when they're in the middle of their contract.

7/8 year contacts are still too long. It should be 6/7 years but players hit free agency a year earlier. And if we paid young players more, there would be less overall cap space available to overpay older free agents on long contracts.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Then should players be able to void contracts if they're outperforming their compensation? If guaranteed contracts disappear, prepare for players to hold out for contract renegotiations even when they're in the middle of their contract.

7/8 year contacts are still too long. It should be 6/7 years but players hit free agency a year earlier. And if we paid young players more, there would be less overall cap space available to overpay older free agents on long contracts.
How come the NBA doesnt have this issue?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Timo no doubt gets in his own head and when he struggles he really struggles. But when he’s mentally straight he’s about as ideal a power forward as you could want. He’ll get his shit together.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
- Nobody‘s paying hundreds of dollars to watch you do your job.
- Athletes are more like artists.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How come the NBA doesnt have this issue?

Because NBA contracts are guaranteed too? All of them other than the short term 10-day/ 3 game contracts.

The major sport that doesn’t have
guaranteed contracts for all players is the NFL. Only some players have them by negotiating for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00