Confirmed Trade: [NJD/SJS] Meier (50%), Harrington, Ibragimov, Emond, Hatakka, ‘24 5th for ‘23 1st, cond ‘24 1st, Johnsson, Okhotiuk, Mukhamadullin, Zetterlund, 24 7th

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Because he's healthy and able to play. The issue is he is lost in the Devil's system and never as good as Devil's management thought he was.

Having watched him all of last season after the trade and through the playoffs and all of this season that’s not what it looks like.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don’t get it? He played quite well last season for the Devils. There’s more to evaluating play than just looking at box scores, which is clearly all you’re doing.

Utterly ridiculous nonsense.
I don't think it's so much looking at the box score. I think it's more about looking at the contract and then looking at the NJD and asking "Did this player greatly improve us like we expected?"

Even the most bitter fans, I think, can agree he's a good player.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I think a Meier / Huberdeau swap (with picks and salary retentions to make it right) makes sense.

Huberdeau is at his best in a NJD type of system - similar to how the Panthers play. Lots of east / west movement and activation of D.

Meier would be best for the Flames system. Like the Sharks they play more North / South with puck protection and cycling.

These two are fish out over water with their current teams.
As someone who owns both in a long-term keeper league (and had both when with their previous teams), yes, please do this. Anything has to be better.

• Haha
Reactions: Arkadiusz and Groo

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
View attachment 785114
So hes officially doin worse so far this year, than he did last year when he first joined.

What is going on? He just doesnt seem to mesh well with anyone on NJ. Not good being his first year for his new 8.8x8 deal.

As others have mentioned, he looks like he's playing hurt at this exact moment.

I don't know what kind of person Timo is, but right now he looks lazy and that doesn't jive with what I've seen previously from him. So I'm assuming that's because he's hurting.

I do think people had over inflated expectations (devils and non devils fans alike) in terms of his production though.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That’s why he had a near 60% expected goal share last season with the Devils. That’s what you’d expect obviously poor fits do. You don’t even watch the team, so why are you talking about this?
I've seen enough to know he doesn't fit the Devils playing style. No matter what line you put him on, he kills play. He's not a fit.

How you don't see it as a self-professed Devil worshipper is an indictment of your hockey knowledge or there lack of!

But go on and continue to prompt a false narrative that he is injured and that is the only reason why he is faltering. I am sure at some point he will break out and score a few points where you will declare him healthy. The go back into a slump where you will surmise he's injured again. Then wash, rinse and repeat.

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. Timo Meier is not a good fit for the Devils. He can't play to his strengths in their system. He doesn't have the hockey IQ to adapt.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
He was getting back to his form, got injured, and now he's skating at like 60% pace and hardly drives it to the net like he used to. If it's a sign of things to come it will definitely be a rough contract. But I'll reserve that until I see playoff Timo again.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Maybe. But he’s apparentlystill playing hurt which exacerbates whatever the underlying problems are.
He likes to push play with speed and likes to shoot off the rush (as he did with the Sharks). With the Devils he has to hang back waiting for the Devil's C's (in particular Hughes) to dish the puck to him. He doesn't know how to adapt to that and is easily marked by the opposing defense because he can't make himself elusive.

He's a fish out of water. Is he still not 100%, perhaps, but that's isn't the root cause of his issues. It could be a combination of Devils playing style and natural deterioration with some lagging issues. But the key is that he isn't a fit when he's not permitted to push the play.

Put him on the Flames and he is in his habitat.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
he's still injured. "Being able to play" doesn't necessary equate to feeling 100%.

He's been steadily getting better the last few games. Missing out on some puck luck.

We are a better team with him - and I'm happy to have him for the next ~5 years. He adds an element that we don't have from anyone else.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I've seen enough to know he doesn't fit the Devils playing style. No matter what line you put him on, he kills play. He's not a fit.

How you don't see it as a self-professed Devil worshipper is an indictment of your hockey knowledge or there lack of!

But go on and continue to prompt a false narrative that he is injured and that is the only reason why he is faltering. I am sure at some point he will break out and score a few points where you will declare him healthy. The go back into a slump where you will surmise he's injured again. Then wash, rinse and repeat.

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. Timo Meier is not a good fit for the Devils. He can't play to his strengths in their system. He doesn't have the hockey IQ to adapt.
I already showed you the undeniable facts that he is not moving as well as last season. This isn’t a discussion, he is playing through something.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I already showed you the undeniable facts that he is not moving as well as last season. This isn’t a discussion, he is playing through something.
Have you even watched him play when he was at his best with the Sharks? If you did, then tell me what the key differences are in the offensive system? If you didn't, then you have nothing to add.

My3Sons

Sponsor
He likes to push play with speed and likes to shoot off the rush (as he did with the Sharks). With the Devils he has to hang back waiting for the Devil's C's (in particular Hughes) to dish the puck to him. He doesn't know how to adapt to that and is easily marked by the opposing defense because he can't make himself elusive.

He's a fish out of water. Is he still not 100%, perhaps, but that's isn't the root cause of his issues. It could be a combination of Devils playing style and natural deterioration with some lagging issues. But the key is that he isn't a fit when he's not permitted to push the play.

Put him on the Flames and he is in his habitat.

Before the injury NJ had started to let him do that. He was playing with McLeod and maybe Holtz if memory serves. They let him be the driver on the line and he started creating offense then he got hurt. He could play with either McLeod or Haula and be puck dominant. Whether they will let him do that once he’s healthy again who knows.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Before the injury NJ had started to let him do that. He was playing with McLeod and maybe Holtz if memory serves. They let him be the driver on the line and he started creating offense then he got hurt. He could play with either McLeod or Haula and be puck dominant. Whether they will let him do that once he’s healthy again who knows.
We will see. With Hughes / Hischier he won't get that opportunity and will have to adapt. You don't want him on a 3rd line or you lose the value.

My3Sons

Sponsor
We will see. With Hughes / Hischier he won't get that opportunity and will have to adapt. You don't want him on a 3rd line or you lose the value.

Others on the NJ board have raised some of these points. It’s incumbent on the team to make the best use of his skills. The way NJ plays he can absolutely carry his own line but whether they let him do that is another story. Right now he’s slowly moving around on Hischier’s line but you can see he’s not engaged the way he had been and he should be sitting. It’s hard to say if the team are being obstinate or he is.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Others on the NJ board have raised some of these points. It’s incumbent on the team to make the best use of his skills. The way NJ plays he can absolutely carry his own line but whether they let him do that is another story. Right now he’s slowly moving around on Hischier’s line but you can see he’s not engaged the way he had been and he should be sitting. It’s hard to say if the team are being obstinate or he is.
100% agree which is why i don't think he is right for the NJD. On the Flames, he is carrying the line and driving play.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Unforced error from the Devils. All the defensive posts pointing to isolated stretches of solid xGF% play miss the point. In the market you pay for points. If just putting up good underlying stats was enough than Michael Bunting would be much richer. Smart teams acquire guys like that cheaply, not like this. At no point in his Devils tenure has Meier looked like he'll produce enough to justify this deal.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I think a Meier / Huberdeau swap (with picks and salary retentions to make it right) makes sense.

Huberdeau is at his best in a NJD type of system - similar to how the Panthers play. Lots of east / west movement and activation of D.

Meier would be best for the Flames system. Like the Sharks they play more North / South with puck protection and cycling.

These two are fish out over water with their current teams.

Good lord no, no on the Devils end.

“False Narrative” lol

I love how some people refuse to believe injuries are real, and affect how players play, because they want to rail against them without any context.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad