Speculation: NJD Offseason Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think I'd break up Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri, either, but I do like Killorn as a player. Big body, physical, hard nose for the net, keeps the opponents honest and is still on the young side..

I'd personally slot him in with Zacha and DSP on the third line, and have that be a monster checking line with some skill...

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Well Killorn has proven that he can get you 40 points consistently every year. Every season he's been around 40 or on pace for 40. And he's a much stronger overall player than Boucher. We don't know if Boucher was a flash in the pan last year. Killorn is a known commodity.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well Killorn has proven that he can get you 40 points consistently every year. Every season he's been around 40 or on pace for 40. And he's a much stronger overall player than Boucher. We don't know if Boucher was a flash in the pan last year. Killorn is a known commodity.

Certainly a more known commodity...

I just don't think we need any LW's. Unless of course you talking a major upgrade. Not to be negative on Killorn, but I don't see him as a major upgrade?

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

I just don't think we need any LW's. Unless of course you talking a major upgrade. Not to be negative on Killorn, but I don't see him as a major upgrade?

I guess it depends on whether Cammy is actually in the lineup producing. I'd feel more comfortable myself knowing we had another guy over there.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Yeah that's true that we should be looking to upgrade C and RW before LW...but I believe Killorn can play C as well, no? Zacha-Killorn-DSP could be a nasty 3rd line.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I guess it depends on whether Cammy is actually in the lineup producing. I'd feel more comfortable myself knowing we had another guy over there.

I also wonder if at some point we see Henrique switch back to LW?

Are the Devils interested in signing Elias for 1 more year? I don't know but there still seems to be a lot LW options

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
With what ammo would the Islanders even consider trading with the Devils?

This is not NHL15 where other teams are always going to execute a trade if you line up the value. The Devils have no assets.

I think this narrative has become dated.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I also wonder if at some point we see Henrique switch back to LW?

Are the Devils interested in signing Elias for 1 more year? I don't know but there still seems to be a lot LW options

I think if Zacha or this years 1st rnder becomes a legit 1st line C, then Rico to LW becomes an option that gets seriously considered.

I'm all in on Elias Zacha DSP/Lappin as opening night 3rd line.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think if Zacha or this years 1st rnder becomes a legit 1st line C, then Rico to LW becomes an option that gets seriously considered.

Seems safe, cheap and logical? I mean we give up nothing...If Elias is too old or injured you slot in who ever is doing best in Albany...Assuming Wood, Quenneville and Blandisi, Coleman are down to start the season?

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014

Rico's not a first line center. He just isn't. If you put him at 1LW, he gets the job done. But he doesn't have the playmaking ability to be a 1C nor does he have the faceoff and defensive skills to do the role of a 1C.

Unless one of the top-10 guys is still available, I think NJ should go best center available at 11. Historically, 1st line wingers are in free agency on a yearly basis. Centers never are.

Group Chat Legend*

And then our forward group is materialized, but we'd need a great goalie to be the real deal...

Let's not create holes to patch up others. We don't have the organizational depth for it.

You can be negative about any path we take.

Keep Schneider and add slowly, he gets too old to compete for more than a 1-2 year window. Keep Schneider and our picks dont pan out and then we get lesser value for him.

See how that works?

If Shero is offered something as crazy as 2nd overall for Schneider or Edmonton's pick+ for Schneider+, you take it. Look at teams like the Isles doing what theyre doing with GREISS in net.

Im not saying throw Schneider away, but if it means adding a huge young talent to our forwards, you do it.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You can be negative about any path we take.

Keep Schneider and add slowly, he gets too old to compete for more than a 1-2 year window. Keep Schneider and our picks dont pan out and then we get lesser value for him.

See how that works?

If Shero is offered something as crazy as 2nd overall for Schneider or Edmonton's pick+ for Schneider+, you take it. Look at teams like the Isles doing what theyre doing with GREISS in net.

Im not saying throw Schneider away, but if it means adding a huge young talent to our forwards, you do it.

Trading Schneider is essentially working backwards. It's honestly pretty moronic. Like I said, you'll band-aid our holes up front, but you'd leave a gaping void in net. A void that, even after we acquire the top center with the high draft pick, we'll be scrambling to fill to achieve 'legitimate contender' status.

I'm not interested in becoming the Flyers or Islanders and throwing patchwork goaltending at the wall and hoping it sticks. Especially in crunch time in the playoffs. And, by the way, now that Greiss is facing a team with an actual offense (missing one of its top weapons, to boot), he's giving up 4 goals per game. And they're down 2-1. Nothing to exactly aspire to.

This is all moot, by the way. Shero has made it clear he's looking to build on what we have... instead of mercilessly taking a hatchet to it by trading Cory, which, for some reason, some of you think is a good idea.

Group Chat Legend*

Trading Schneider is essentially working backwards. It's honestly pretty moronic. Like I said, you'll band-aid our holes up front, but you'd leave a gaping void in net. A void that, even after we acquire the top center with the high draft pick, we'll be scrambling to fill to achieve 'legitimate contender' status.

I'm not interested in becoming the Flyers or Islanders and throwing patchwork goaltending at the wall and hoping it sticks. Especially in crunch time in the playoffs. And, by the way, now that Greiss is facing a team with an actual offense (missing one of its top weapons, to boot), he's giving up 4 goals per game. And they're down 2-1. Nothing to exactly aspire to.

This is all moot, by the way. Shero has made it clear he's looking to build on what we have... instead of mercilessly taking a hatchet to it by trading Cory, which, for some reason, some of you think is a good idea.

Dont see how getting a young top center is a 'band-aid', but okay.

I guess Blackwood doesnt exist either.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Blackwood isn't NHL ready yet. He's a promising prospect and I've defended him, but he is nowhere near ready to be a starting goaltender in this league.

That's really besides the point, though, since I don't think we'll ever see a Schneider for first or second overall trade.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

It's a band-aid in the sense that we'd be drawing from our wealth at the goaltending position to build wealth at the forward position. Creating a bigger hole by patching up another.

You surely aren't suggesting we trade Cory and hang our hats on our brand-new, teenaged goalie prospect, right? Are you kidding me?

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I bet the Stars are glad they stuck with Lehtonen instead of selling him off when Jack Campbell looked like the real deal...

I love when people always run to the couple of teams that seemingly can't get their goalie situation right when discussing goaltending instead of discussing the other 25 teams that don't have goalie problems.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I love when people always run to the couple of teams that seemingly can't get their goalie situation right when discussing goaltending instead of discussing the other 25 teams that don't have goalie problems.

Not the intent of that example, but fine.

I bet the Kings are glad they stuck with Quick instead of selling him off when Jonathan Bernier looked like the real deal...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

25 teams is a slight exaggeration. Half the Metro division has goalie issues for starters.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014

Because Schneider is our most valuable player, and probably will be for at least a few more years? And Blackwood is still a massive question mark, not to mention with a near-psychopathic anger problem? And goalies like Schneider come at a ridiculously high cost or risk?

Yea, you could argue that every year there are those average goalies that have a monster season, but where are they the season following? Let's see if Neuvirth breaks .920 Sv% next year.

Having a goalie that at his worst will probably put up a .920 Sv% is a ridiculous asset, and you don't trade that for a CHANCE at having a young center that probably won't even end up being the 1C that we need. One sure thing is that you need a goalie that puts up numbers in order to have a successful playoff run. Where do we get that once we have our shiny new toy? You going to depend on numbers of a 19 year old playing the most volatile developmental position who did this to fill that gap?

Think for a second about what the biggest difference between Dallas and Washington is this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese