Speculation: NJD Offseason Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
How about a trade for a guy like Ryan Strome. Probably cost a lot but I would like to see what you guys would think

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Actually not a huge fan of R.Strome. Saw him with Bridgeport vs Albany and he was invisible until late in 3rd period when the Sound Tigers found themselves down late in the game. He started to play hard and then it was obvious he was on another level from most everyone else on the ice...but where was he for the other 2 and a half periods?

That makes me question a players work ethic and will. I've seen other NHLers in the AHL have uneventful games but it was always obvious that they were the best players....Strome was literally invisible for the vast majority of a AHL game and that should really never happen from a good player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Actually not a huge fan of R.Strome. Saw him with Bridgeport vs Albany and he was invisible until late in 3rd period when the Sound Tigers found themselves down late in the game. He started to play hard and then it was obvious he was on another level from most everyone else on the ice...but where was he for the other 2 and a half periods?

That makes me question a players work ethic and will. I've seen other NHLers in the AHL have uneventful games but it was always obvious that they were the best players....Strome was literally invisible for the vast majority of a AHL game and that should really never happen from a good player.
Was that this year? He may have been pouting a bit having been sent back down to the minors.

Not that that should get him off the hook.

But I'm not so hot on Strome. And as noted being in division it would be unlikely.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
are we really going to base an opinion on a player on 1 minor league game?

that seems to have worked out well for the Drouin bashers

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
More so relevant to next offseason but Tampa has Stamkos as a UFA and Kucherov and Killorn as RFAs this year and Hedman as a UFA and Johnson and Palat as RFAs next year. Do you think we'd be in a position to trade for the rights of of one of Johnson or Palat next offseason if we're still seeking offense?

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
More so relevant to next offseason but Tampa has Stamkos as a UFA and Kucherov and Killorn as RFAs this year and Hedman as a UFA and Johnson and Palat as RFAs next year. Do you think we'd be in a position to trade for the rights of of one of Johnson or Palat next offseason if we're still seeking offense?

I think most of them would talk to much with the exception of Alex Killorn. I think Killorn would be a reasonable target to go after, just like the similar Kyle Palmieri trade last year

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Their situation changes drastically if they don't resign Stamkos which I suspect they won't.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Was that this year? He may have been pouting a bit having been sent back down to the minors.

Not that that should get him off the hook.

But I'm not so hot on Strome. And as noted being in division it would be unlikely.

Yes. November before Thanksgiving.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I think Stamkos will re-sign in Tampa and they will have to trade one or two forwards. If there ever is a right wing available from Tampa I assume Shero would inquire but Johnson, Palat, and Killorn are all left wings and centers. Kucherov is a talented right wing who, if he was signed to a good deal, I'd consider trading our 2017 first rounder for.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think most of them would talk to much with the exception of Alex Killorn. I think Killorn would be a reasonable target to go after, just like the similar Kyle Palmieri trade last year

I think Stamkos will re-sign in Tampa and they will have to trade one or two forwards. If there ever is a right wing available from Tampa I assume Shero would inquire but Johnson, Palat, and Killorn are all left wings and centers. Kucherov is a talented right wing who, if he was signed to a good deal, I'd consider trading our 2017 first rounder for.

Personally, I wouldn't think twice about adding Killorn even if it creates a logjam on the left side.

I'm just drooling thinking about a Killorn - Zajac - Palmieri line.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
What makes someone a first liner?

I mentioned how a lot of teams don't have the first liners that fans think of: 70-80 point players putting up 30-40 goals a year or being one of the game's best playmakers. Instead, scoring is down and players on average aren't really putting up all that many points.

If you're of the mindset that a team's first liners should be their top three point producers (which really isn't that far off from reality -- it's rare that a heart+soul energy guy is on the first line unless it's Jordin Tootoo) and that there are 90 first line level talents in the league (definitional) then it only took 49 points last year to be a first liner (of the top-90 point scorers).

For fun,

top-30 centers range from 55-85 points, .73-1.07 ppg
top-30 left wings range from 42-89 points .60-1.09 ppg,
top-30 right wings range from 43-106 points (after Kane, this becomes 78), .57-1.29 ppg (or .95)
top-30 goal scorers at center range from 21-38 goals
top-30 goal scorers at left wing range from 18-50 goals
top-30 goal scorers at right wing range from 20-46 goals

C from 30-60: 42-55 points, 16-21 goals, .58-.73 ppg
LW from 30-60: 22-42 points, 10-18 goals, .38-.60 ppg
RW from 30-60: 26-42 points, 11-20 goals, .39-.57 ppg

after that, I think a lot of third line players can get their jobs based on other factors besides scoring. If a player is positionally sound, a hard skater, a gritty player, a checker, etc., then he can be on the third line without being a top-nine scorer for the team. The top-six, on the other hand, is not usually comprised of energy guys or low-scorers.

Then I ran a comparison against the Devils:

Based on points, Henrique is a 2C, Zajac is a 2C, Stempniak is a 1RW, Palmieri is a 1RW, Cammalleri is a 2LW (four points from a 1LW).

Based on goals, Henrique is a 1C, Stempniak is a 2RW (one goal away from a 1RW), Palmieri is a 1RW, Cammalleri is a 2LW.

Based on points/game (min 10 games played): Henrique is a 2C, Zajac is a 2C, Stempniak is a 1RW, Palmieri is a 1RW, Cammalleri is a 1LW, Elias is a 2LW, Boucher is a 2LW, Blandisi is a 2LW

This isn't soundproof work but here's the summary:
Mike Cammalleri - 1st line LW (technically 2 stats say he's a 2LW but those aren't fair because they don't account for the fact that he missed 40 games. PPG does and that shows he's an elite 1LW)
Kyle Palmieri - 1st line RW (all three stats agree here)
Adam Henrique - 1st/2nd line C (in goals, he is a 1C but in PPG and points he is a 2C)
Travis Zajac - 2nd line C (in all three categories)
Lee Stempniak - 1st line RW (he was one goal away from being considered a 1RW but in points and PPG he passed the test)

So based on those rudimentary stats, the Devils currently have their 1LW, 1RW, and 2 2Cs. If you let Henrique play up a line, then that means you need two second liners. Based on the rate stat (ppg) Boucher and Blandisi and Elias are also 2nd line talents, but they did not have this production over a full season to reach all three thresholds. If you have faith that one of those three can play like their scoring rate dictates, then that's a 2LW. All that's missing is a 2RW.

I know that top-six play wasn't really the problem this year, but it's interesting to see how the Devils stack up in the various categories. Also, when people say 2nd line RW, that's really what they're talking about, not a 50+ point player, but instead a 26-42 point player. And when they want a first line winger, it's not a 50-60 point player or a 25-30 goal scorer, but instead it's just a player scoring 42-43+ points a year or 18-20+ goals.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

They won't trade Kucherov out of those names. They'd move Johnson AND Palat before they get rid of him IMO.

On top of that, under no circumstances should we consider offering the 2017 first at this point for anyone. We are no guarantee to improve our place in the standings and one bad run and we could be looking a top 3 pick. If it was easier to be positive of our position in the standings, then I think it would be a consideration, but its a risky proposition at this point.

Last edited:

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
If I'm Tampa I let Stamkos walk, they can win without him.

Obviously sucks to lose a player like that for nothing but they have plenty of talent on that team to contend in the East for years.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
How about something like Vatanen for Severson+? That would give Anaheim (budget team) cheaper player with potential who still has 1 year left on ELC. Vatanen would be great for PP.

mamfredo8

Apr 30, 2014
Cologne
How about something like Vatanen for Severson+? That would give Anaheim (budget team) cheaper player with potential who still has 1 year left on ELC. Vatanen would be great for PP.

Wouldn't like this deal. Severson has a high ceiling which could be higher than Vatanen's worth. Vatanen has imo some defensive question marks (like Severson although). Severson will have a better shooting percentage next year.

One deal it would prefer is something around Fowler. As we are a little weak with young left handed d-men (number 1-4 d-men), he would perfectly fill that position and would have impact to our powerplay. I would give up Moore or Merrill, our 2 round Pick this year and a 4th round in 2017. Not sure, if this would be enough.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

If Kucherov became available for a teams 1st round pick, you don't even think about it twice. Any team hopes that their 1st rounder will become half as good as Kucherov is becoming. Plus he will only be a RFA and still under team control. With that said, I bet he is the last player not named Hedman on this roster that the Lightning would be looking to move.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Wouldn't like this deal. Severson has a high ceiling which could be higher than Vatanen's worth. Vatanen has imo some defensive question marks (like Severson although). Severson will have a better shooting percentage next year.

One deal it would prefer is something around Fowler. As we are a little weak with young left handed d-men (number 1-4 d-men), he would perfectly fill that position and would have impact to our powerplay. I would give up Moore or Merrill, our 2 round Pick this year and a 4th round in 2017. Not sure, if this would be enough.

I'd rather spend those assets on a forward.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
How about a trade for a guy like Ryan Strome. Probably cost a lot but I would like to see what you guys would think

With what ammo would the Islanders even consider trading with the Devils?

This is not NHL15 where other teams are always going to execute a trade if you line up the value. The Devils have no assets.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Personally, I wouldn't think twice about adding Killorn even if it creates a logjam on the left side.

I'm just drooling thinking about a Killorn - Zajac - Palmieri line.

I've wanted Killorn for a while, so I'd jump all over this. And, frankly, I think the stars could align to make Killorn a Palmieri-type casualty for the Lightning -- he's an upcoming RFA and Tampa has higher priorities to consider.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If Kucherov became available for a teams 1st round pick, you don't even think about it twice. Any team hopes that their 1st rounder will become half as good as Kucherov is becoming. Plus he will only be a RFA and still under team control. With that said, I bet he is the last player not named Hedman on this roster that the Lightning would be looking to move.

I said this awhile ago but Kucherov is the first guy I'd look at if I'm Shero. Having said that I'm sure the asking price would be like 11 AND Severson.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I said this awhile ago but Kucherov is the first guy I'd look at if I'm Shero. Having said that I'm sure the asking price would be like 11 AND Severson.

Kucherov is like a Top 20 forward in the league. It will take a heck of a lot more than a 1st round pick+ to get him.

I'm also of the belief that TB will make Stamkos a slightly below market value deal that he won't take and then they will just build around The Triplets and Hedman which is what they should do.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We went through this argument in the last offseason thread, that argument is over now...we're not turning every offseason thread into a debate on tanking/complaining about not doing so.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Why Killorn? Why not just go with Boucher?

Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri?

Production wise Boucher produced almost identical to Killorn this year.

Killorn 2015-16 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 81 14 26 40
Boucher 2015-16 New Jersey Devils NHL 39 8 11 19

Interesting though, the other night during a Tampa game my wife told a friend of ours, really a friend of hers from high school, coached Alex Killorn in high school at Deerfield Academy.

The head coach Brendan Creigh went to the same high school and was in the same class as my wife...He played with John LeClaire at UVM and was drafted by the LA Kings in the 1991 supplemental draft. We used to go see them play all the time

I think I know more hockey than he does though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->