Habs Receive:
Coronato
Holtz
NJD 2024 1st (11-15)

Devils Receive:
Markstrom (75% retained)

Flames Receive:
WPG 1st 2024
CGY 1st 2025 (they can commit to a rebuild with their pick back)
Ylonen

I understand at its core Holtz + a 1st for Markstrom is probably on the 'overpayment' side but getting a legit #1 goaltender for 2yrs @ 1.5m cap hit has a lot of unspoken value so I felt like it somewhat balanced it out.

I don't think the Holtz + mid 1st offer is enough to get Markstrom from CGY, nor do I think is a slightly retained Markstrom worth those assets - Habs come in as a broker to increase value for CGY and also eat more cap for NJD. They do it because it lets them move up 8-10 slots at the draft and add two more prospects that they can either flip for a bigger asset (Zegras?) or who fit the age group of the current core.

Coronato might be a guy the Flames don't want to move - not sure who makes sense value wise but the Habs will likely want similar value back in trading those picks.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Seems like too much for NJ to give even with 75% retention. Not sure NJ will care as much about retention now with Vanecek shipped away.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Feel free to roast away but curious what people think about the following:

Habs Receive:
Coronato
Holtz
NJD 2024 1st (11-15)

Devils Receive:
Markstrom (75% retained)

Flames Receive:
WPG 1st 2024
CGY 1st 2025 (they can commit to a rebuild with their pick back)
Ylonen

I understand at its core Holtz + a 1st for Markstrom is probably on the 'overpayment' side but getting a legit #1 goaltender for 2yrs @ 1.5m cap hit has a lot of unspoken value so I felt like it somewhat balanced it out.

I don't think the Holtz + mid 1st offer is enough to get Markstrom from CGY, nor do I think is a slightly retained Markstrom worth those assets - Habs come in as a broker to increase value for CGY and also eat more cap for NJD. They do it because it lets them move up 8-10 slots at the draft and add two more prospects that they can either flip for a bigger asset (Zegras?) or who fit the age group of the current core.

Coronato might be a guy the Flames don't want to move - not sure who makes sense value wise but the Habs will likely want similar value back in trading those picks.
MTL trade WPG and CGY first + Ylonen for NJ first + 2 freaking good prospect ?? Danm sign me in that's a steal

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
draft in the top 10 next year keeping their own pick,

Please correct me if I am wrong - but this only happens if they get Florida's 2025 1st - which only happens if Florida is not a lottery ball team (meaning they make the playoffs) next year.

If they are, then the pick is deferred to 2026 - in which case the Flames only get to keep their pick if it is 1OA?

New Jersey if they still want Markstrom can give a lot less.

To my understanding, the CGY ownership said they would not trade Markstrom for anything short of a big return - I think what I heard was Mercer or Holtz + their 1st (at this TDL) ... that is without any mention of retention, too.

I am proposing they get the 6m goalie at 75% retained, which helps the cost.

The Habs make out like bandits.
Highway robbery for Montreal..

Yeah, I think Coronato might be a bit too much and it should be a step back prospect wise - Pelletier? Habs make sense as the third team because they can stomach retaining for those two years and they can afford to offload picks.

Reactions: malcb33

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Holtz and 11-15 is more along the lines of what is going to get you Saros.
I think Markstrom is worth more to Calgary than what NJ would offer for a goalie who will turn 35 midway through his first season with the team. NJ has a young core that is going to be a threat for 5-7 years. Why go after a goalie who is 34?
I would offer a second and mid level prospect for Markstrom, which I am sure Calgary would decline or someone else may have a better offer, but I would rather go big and get Saros

No way a 34 year old goalie gets you 11-15 alone, yet you wanna add Holtz?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
MTL trade WPG and CGY first + Ylonen for NJ first + 2 freaking good prospect ?? Danm sign me in that's a steal

More like

Markstrom (50% retained) + Coronato for WPG 1st, CGY 1st, Ylonen (Coronato likely an overpay here)

Markstrom (75% retained) for Holtz + 15OA (I understand there is a lot of division on Holtz value; I wouldn't blame people for saying this is an overpayment but I also wouldn't be shocked to see him moved for a late 1st at the draft)

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Holtz and 11-15 is more along the lines of what is going to get you Saros.

The Predators were reportedly asking for two 1sts + a prospect - so what you'd be paying in this deal + your 2025 1st ... not to say that he isn't significantly better, but that is a notable jump in price.

They also would probably want Mercer - not Holtz.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Mmm o thanks. NJ should move on from Markstrom. They already got a 34 year old in Allen. Need to lol for a younger starter.
If you’re seriously comparing Allen to Markstrom because they’re the same age then I don’t know what to tell you.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
At a 1.5M caphit for another two seasons he most certainly would..
Well considering the teams that need goalies aside from Jersey would be coming with late firsts it would be reasonable for a late first and a player of Holtz calibre. But not 11-15.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Devils don't need retention and they certainly don't need double retention, I assume Markstrom will be a Devil next season but this isn't the deal.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Why would Calgary trade away their best forward prospect?

And why is Montreal getting so much more back?

Because we could get a late first that could maybe become Coronato in three years. Only if we're lucky though

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
You are not trading our 1st round pick back, you are essentially trading the florida pick to us. Its laughable you think you get those for 2 late picks and Ylonen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad