Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Dougie Hamilton signs with the Devils (7 years, $9M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
If you're paying Dougie Hamilton $9 million when he's 34-35 years old, you deserve whatever bad things happen as a result

Structure is important. Deals like that I'm front loading the hell out of real cash wise (or big bonus on second to last year with nominal base and then minimal salary in final year) We've seen time and again teams get out of bad deals, and there are always teams who are looking to hit cap floor without real dollar application.

It's not ideal way to run the organization, but if you're good at the time a late first probably doesn't break you and if you suck, you probably don't need to move him

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
tenor.gif

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
And to think fans jump on base the Oilers for Keith and his 2 years . GMs had all the pent up anxiety from retaining themselves last year . Now look out they are spending money a a alarming rate . Owners will demand another lock at this rate and yet it is the GMs who are at fault . Hyman 40 million , Seth Jones 9.5 million after 2 down season . A very flawed Hamilton at 9 million . Wow .

the cap ensures a fixed cost… stars taking all the money will just hurt other members of the nhlpa… the pie is only so big

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The last 2 years of that contract would be rough, but otherwise it isn't awful.

It's almost like HF has no concept of inflation and/or the artificially suppressed cap via COVID. Shocker.
It won’t take until the last 2 years for this one to be a nightmare

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I think I know much more for Hamilton than Devils fans, so yeah okay. Rofl.
The jilted lover routine is predictable, but not particularly worth exploring in this thread.

You might not like what the market is dictating right now, but the fact of the matter is $9M for Hamilton would be very much the market rate. "Worth" is a useless idea to explore when a player is on the open market. As long as you're not bidding against yourself and are aware of the risks, which a club like New Jersey with a crazy amount of cap space definitely is, it's a deal you make for a good player.

Reactions: Devils Army

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What would CAR have been willing to offer? Would it have been close?

Last off season’s reports were Hamilton looking for a Pietrangelo contract while Carolina was looking at Krug as a comp.

I think Carolina would go to $7-7.5M a year but it’s clear they don’t want to exceed their evaluation of a player except in extreme circumstances (Aho.)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
NHL needs to come up with a pay rate team have to abide by . Makes all team have equal footing . Top pair D max 8 million a year . 2nd Pairing 5.5 max and so on . After 35 contracts 1 year only or go the way of the NFL and have no gaurantee contracts .

No. Players should be able to make what ever teams are willing to pay them.

There is a cap already in place

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Does NJ have a Jaccob Slavin for Dougie to play next to? If not, he may end up having a tough year(s) in NJ. I guess Graves would be his best partner? but Graves benefitted biggly from Cale Makar, and it doesn't seem like Dougie is Cale Makar, in many ways.

Reactions: cptjeff and Borsig

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Elaborate. Does his defense still blow? Haven't watched him heavily since his Bruins/Flames days.
His defense is only made palatable by Slavin. He provides little effort for puck retrieval.

will provide some nice offensive plays but can take a bad pinch. Doesn’t have the speed to recover from a bad pinch.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Elaborate. Does his defense still blow? Haven't watched him heavily since his Bruins/Flames days.

Nah. He's typically pretty solid defensively. He does seems to have brain farts at the worst possible moments so his mistakes are more noticeable than some other players. But overall I'd say his reach and skating ability (for a tall guy) make him above average defensively, on the whole.

Admittedly, it is easy to forget that when he is wandering around looking lost or coughs up a puck in his own zone when you're trying to close out a game. It's, uhhhh......never boring

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Good for Hamilton, make that money.

I'm not an expert on the Devils, to put it mildly, but seems to me by the time they hit their Cup window in 3-4 years this will be an overpayment, possibly an anchor even. He's definitely best for a team currently in their Cup window that needs the extra bam in their top 4.

Like Carolina. /sigh
Way to sound extremely ignorant

how can a contender afford him? Hmm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad