Proposal: NJ-PIT

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Dumo - now that's not a guy you can't touch, but it's almost a guy you can't touch.

New+Picture+(3).bmp
So I'm gonna make a f***in ruling on this right now. You don't f***in touch him. You understand?

Reactions: molon labe

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I figured. I just recall some Pens fans considering him a potential logjam casualty not too long ago.

Out of curiosity, how do you rank your LHD?

There was a logjam when POJ was playing lights out, but he hit a bit of a rookie wall and IMO is better off finishing the year in WBS before coming back full-time next year. Dumoulin was also looking like he may be done after his ankle injury last year before coming back from his latest injury a few weeks ago. He's looked like the good, steady player we've come to expect again since. I think Dumo could be moved in the offseason, either for futures if they start the inevitable rebuild or a swap for an established F upgrade if they want to try to retool on the fly.

As far as rankings...if we're talking about trade value I'd say. (excluding POJ since he's pretty close to untouchable)
Dumoulin
Pettersson
Riikola

Matheson

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I could see Hextall being interested in this. We need picks because GMJR dealt them all away. Gusev fixes a short term issue with Zucker being injured. Someone has to go on the LD side of the house from us.

I want to say I'm shocked but kudos to the OP for having some thought on the needs of each time and making a fair offer.

I'd do it.

Have any good 4th liners to add too? :)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This is actually intriguing and the player swap makes a bit of sense...but Gusev is less of a known quantity than would be ideal. Of course that's also what makes him potentially affordable and Pettersson is the kind of piece the Penguins can afford to move given the sheer mass of 5-7 caliber D the Pens have accumulated, so this is one trade within the division I could see working.

The Pens certainly aren't lacking in playmakers, though, they're more lacking players who will actually shoot the puck on a 2-on-0.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
As far as ranking our LD right now.

Dumo
Petts
Matheson
POJ
Riikooooooooolllllaaaaaaaa

Ranking POJ currently as 4th is no hinderance on him, his value, or how we view him either. When Matheson is on, he is really good. I'd say next year based on his projections, how he played this year, etc we'd be expecting POJ to challenge for the #2 LD or be a young absolute rock 3D like when we had Letang as our 3D in 2009.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
No from Pitt. Appreciate a reasonable offer. However, I think the Pen’s board is unreasonably down on Pettersson. He’s a 24 year old third year NHL D. Sometimes D take awhile to peak.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Dare I ask about Dumoulin instead of Pettersson?
Dumoulin is one of the most underrated dmen in the NHL. Guys you can match up against other team’s top lines for 24+ min a night don’t exactly grow on trees.

You’re absolutely right in saying there are Pens fans who think trading Dumo is better cause we’d get more in return which is true, but Dumoulin is miles better than Petts and trading him creates a much larger hole to fill than finding a middle-6 left winger.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
No from Pitt. Appreciate a reasonable offer. However, I think the Pen’s board is unreasonably down on Pettersson. He’s a 24 year old third year NHL D. Sometimes D take awhile to peak.

Some are down on him - but no side is refuting the silliness of carrying a 4M insurance policy on the blueline when we have other holes in the lineup. The Pens have 4 working LD and 3 of them make 4+ million.

This isn't a dump trade - the OP offered an offensive solution, who's upside is better than our bottom 6 currently and who's downside ends in the Summer.....as well as a NJ 3rd round pick. JR traded all our picks away so this helps solve 2 issues. How much more could we reasonably expect as a return for Petts? It's a solid trade suggestion.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Ideally NJ would probably like to keep their picks no? Just thinking that if they swapped Gusev for Palmieri you can take the pick out of the equation. Maybe include another rental instead like Kulikov. From our side Pens can add in Riikola too who's a somewhat similar player (LHD, hard hitter, good underlying numbers) but younger and signed for one more year at a similar cap hit.

Would end up being Pettersson, Riikola for Palmieri, Kulikov. Reasoning is that Marino seems to work best with a defense-first partner so I'd like to add in a defensive LD if we're gonna lose Pettersson. I think he could work well with Riikola too honestly but Sully doesn't seem to trust him despite good defensive metrics.

EDIT: Unless NJ just wants to re-sign those guys which is valid too

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Some are down on him - but no side is refuting the silliness of carrying a 4M insurance policy on the blueline when we have other holes in the lineup. The Pens have 4 working LD and 3 of them make 4+ million.

This isn't a dump trade - the OP offered an offensive solution, who's upside is better than our bottom 6 currently and who's downside ends in the Summer.....as well as a NJ 3rd round pick. JR traded all our picks away so this helps solve 2 issues. How much more could we reasonably expect as a return for Petts? It's a solid trade suggestion.
Ok, maybe you’re right that MP is a luxury we can’t keep because of Matheson, but Gusev is a UFA at the end of the season. Need someone with a little term.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Ok, maybe you’re right that MP is a luxury we can’t keep because of Matheson, but Gusev is a UFA at the end of the season. Need someone with a little term.

If Gusev works out I don’t think him signing on to stay with Malkin is at all out of the question.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I don't like Pettersson's contract. He has still 4+ years left contract and $4,025 M is a lot of money for a third pairing dman. This season he has played only 16.55 minutes per game, and I have heard that he has been pretty underwhelming.

So thanks, but no thanks!

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Malkin and Gusev have clicked a bit in international play so I think it would be worth a shot, they need a right shot for the power play

I think a late second is closer to fair value but if it’s an early third that’s close enough for me

Reactions: Smitty426

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don't like Pettersson's contract. He has still 4+ years left contract and $4,025 M is a lot of money for a third pairing dman. This season he has played only 16.55 minutes per game, and I have heard that he has been pretty underwhelming.

So thanks, but no thanks!
He's easily a 2nd pairing dman but JR's wonderful parting gift of Matheson kind of has to be the guy on the 2nd pair right now

I dont think pettersson has been underwhelming per-se... maybe in terms of what we thought he could be initially. But his play overall has been fine. Not great, not bad. just fine

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
To NJ: Marcus Pettersson
To PIT: Nikita Gusev, 3rd Round Pick

Gusev isn't working out in NJ this season and I understand Pittsburgh is looking for a winger for playoff depth and potentially replace Zucker if he can't make it back from IR. He could thrive again on Malkin's wing.

I understand that Pittsburgh has a logjam at LD, and NJ needs some help at LD next season with Murray and Kulikov likely traded by deadline. Pittsburgh gets a draft pick back as Gusev is a free agent and Pettersson has some term left on his contract.

Is this a fit for both teams?
Pittsburgh reject this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad