Proposal: NJ-PIT

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
To NJ: Marcus Pettersson
To PIT: Nikita Gusev, 3rd Round Pick

Gusev isn't working out in NJ this season and I understand Pittsburgh is looking for a winger for playoff depth and potentially replace Zucker if he can't make it back from IR. He could thrive again on Malkin's wing.

I understand that Pittsburgh has a logjam at LD, and NJ needs some help at LD next season with Murray and Kulikov likely traded by deadline. Pittsburgh gets a draft pick back as Gusev is a free agent and Pettersson has some term left on his contract.

Is this a fit for both teams?

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Replace the 3rd round pick for a 2nd round pick in 2022 and I think the Pens would do it in principal.

But I don't think the Pens would do it this season. Gusev appears to be a pretty marginal player who doesn't play defense. Thus I'm not sure how he would improve the Pens over Pettersson. Unless someone has a magic ball and can see that Gusev would mesh perfectly with Malkin.

And logjams have ways of becoming needs real quick due to injuries. IMO, I think Pettersson gets traded in the offseason.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Not sure I would do this. Definitely not upgrading the pick. Why would I want goose to flourish in Pitt

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not sure I would do this. Definitely not upgrading the pick. Why would I want goose to flourish in Pitt
What are the chances he actually does though?

Pettersson is solidly proven as, at least, a #3/4 defenseman who mayyyyybe has the potential to be a little more. To me, it seems like the jury is still out on whether Gusev is even an NHL player.

OP's proposal isn't bad, but I think the sweetener has to be a little better than a 3rd. Likely either a 2nd or a B-prospect and then I think the value is there

Reactions: The Old Master

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He's on the books until the end of the year. Not sure what angle you're taking here but it seems silly.

Why would I want Petts on the Devils? Give them an answer to their D problem - cost controlled - for multiple years....only to get a struggling KHL'er on the Pens for a few months...?

Pettersson is solidly proven as, at least, a #3/4 defenseman who mayyyyybe has the potential to be a little more. To me, it seems like the jury is still out on whether Gusev is even an NHL player.

OP's proposal isn't bad, but I think the sweetener has to be a little better than a 3rd. Likely either a 2nd or a B-prospect and then I think the value is there

To each their own. I'd take the 3rd this year since we don't have many picks - wherein we have every pick going forward. Understand wanting more though.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

That's cutting off your nose to spite your face. Who cares if he flourishes for the pens for half a season? The focus should be on pettersson doing the same with the devils

Reactions: Pertti

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Unlikely to waive his NTC.

I think if Zajac does waive, its probably to Islanders only.

Imagine that’s OK with him though. What do you see as fair with him and Petterson being the main pieces?
I’d assume he’s right back on the Devils come July to support the young ones next season.

On the Pens (healthy) he gives us two shut down lines for the bottom six, and a big upgrade for the PK.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Replace the 3rd round pick for a 2nd round pick in 2022 and I think the Pens would do it in principal.

But I don't think the Pens would do it this season. Gusev appears to be a pretty marginal player who doesn't play defense. Thus I'm not sure how he would improve the Pens over Pettersson. Unless someone has a magic ball and can see that Gusev would mesh perfectly with Malkin.

And logjams have ways of becoming needs real quick due to injuries. IMO, I think Pettersson gets traded in the offseason.

The problem with Gusev this year is that he's an east-west skill guy playing on a team (and in a system) that plays north-south, run-and-gun hockey. He plays a slower, more calculated game (but also a much more skilled game) than basically everyone else on the team. He just hasn't meshed with Ruff's system at all.

Last year, he took a few months to adjust to the NHL, but then finished the year with 36 points in 46 games. The skill and overall ability are apparent; he just isn't a good fit for this Devils group.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Dare I ask about Dumoulin instead of Pettersson?

Dumo - now that's not a guy you can't touch, but it's almost a guy you can't touch.

New+Picture+(3).bmp

Reactions: Beauner

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
To NJ: Marcus Pettersson
To PIT: Nikita Gusev, 3rd Round Pick

Gusev isn't working out in NJ this season and I understand Pittsburgh is looking for a winger for playoff depth and potentially replace Zucker if he can't make it back from IR. He could thrive again on Malkin's wing.

I understand that Pittsburgh has a logjam at LD, and NJ needs some help at LD next season with Murray and Kulikov likely traded by deadline. Pittsburgh gets a draft pick back as Gusev is a free agent and Pettersson has some term left on his contract.

Is this a fit for both teams?
This isn't bad... would like to see more for petterson but thr concept works. I dont see gusev fitting in well with malkin but he could add depth.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I figured. I just recall some Pens fans considering him a potential logjam casualty not too long ago.

Out of curiosity, how do you rank your LHD?
He was slow coming back from his ankle issue last year and I think that was mainly just people itching to make a big move and (wrongly) believing he was on the decline.

FWIW I'd rank them:
Dumoulin
Pettersson
Matheson
POJ/Riikola

I still don't have a good read on Matheson but I think I prefer Pettersson over him as a player... but I realize we aren't getting out of that contract :laugh:

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
He's on the books until the end of the year. Not sure what angle you're taking here but it seems silly.

Why would I want Petts on the Devils? Give them an answer to their D problem - cost controlled - for multiple years....only to get a struggling KHL'er on the Pens for a few months...?

To each their own. I'd take the 3rd this year since we don't have many picks - wherein we have every pick going forward. Understand wanting more though.

Pittsburgh doesn't have a 3rd round pick this year. This belong to wild

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4