NJ Hfboards Yahoo Fantasy Hockey (Keeper League Discussion)

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Is this a HTH or Rotisserie league?

I also agree with reducing the amt of stats. Something like GWG serves no additional strategic purpose and is basically a random exercise on a week to week basis.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

Are the above stats all the stats that we have to take in to consideration when drafting. I have never been in a league with that many stats to keep watch of. Would a player like St Louis be better than Ovechkin since his power play points, plus minus, pim are better. Using this as a example. Are all of these statistics weighed evenly. Even goals and assists?

Yes stats are weighted evenly, you win a category, you get a point.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Not trying to criticize, but shutouts as well. How many of those are people going to get in a week? One maybe?

It doesn't seem right that a 1-0 win in shutouts is worth the same as dominating in goals or assists.

I could understand shutouts in roto format, but not HTH.

Moreover, since there are so many teams, goalie talent will be spread very thinly, meaning that shutouts will be a 0-0 tie a lot of the time.

The categories would be near perfect is GWG and SHO were dropped.

Last edited:

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Ok i have dropped GWG and SHO.
Your point about shutouts is a good one, given the amount of teams in the league. I'm expecting goaltending to go like hotcakes during the draft.

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
Draft is set for next Saturday, random order.
There is a possibility that I won't be online for the draft as I will be in New Orleans that weekend getting tanked on Bourbon St so if you have any questions, please let me know by Tuesday.
Good luck to all involved, as this is a first year keeper league, it is probably the one draft you dont want to stuff up. Let's hope my pre rankings will hold me in good step.

I wont be on as well because I have to help my brother-in-law move. I did set my pre-draft rankings. Can't wait to see the draft results.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Any chance we can cut the draft time down from 1min 30sec to 1min?

With 16 teams and some people not going to be present 1:30 could take a while

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Soooo there is only going to be one HF league this year? :huh:

Edit: If so, if anyone wants to do a different (non-keeper) league, I'll gladly set it up.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Any chance we can cut the draft time down from 1min 30sec to 1min?

With 16 teams and some people not going to be present 1:30 could take a while

All told the draft took 75 minutes. Not bad. Half the field was absent, but I believe Yahoo autodrafted for the absentees in 12 seconds, so the waits weren't very long. 256 picks in 75 minutes.

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
Willing to trade Backstrom, Bergeron or Granlund. Looking to trade for D or G.

Last edited:

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz
I still don't understand why PIM is a stat where you win by having the most accumulated. How in the **** does it become a reward to have a lot of penalties? :laugh:

Anyway, anyone wanting to do a second league hit me up. If we can get enough teams I'll put it together. :thumbu:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
All told the draft took 75 minutes. Not bad. Half the field was absent, but I believe Yahoo autodrafted for the absentees in 12 seconds, so the waits weren't very long. 256 picks in 75 minutes.

Yea it really was quick, not bad at all, I didn't realize Yahoo did that

I still don't understand why PIM is a stat where you win by having the most accumulated. How in the **** does it become a reward to have a lot of penalties? :laugh:

Anyway, anyone wanting to do a second league hit me up. If we can get enough teams I'll put it together. :thumbu:

I agree with you, but also I don't disagree with having it as a stat because it makes picking some players a bit more "difficult"

Instead of just going for scorers, you have to go for scorers that also play physical which often leads to more PIM and there aren't a ton of those guys so it makes it more interesting

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Yea it really was quick, not bad at all, I didn't realize Yahoo did that

I agree with you, but also I don't disagree with having it as a stat because it makes picking some players a bit more "difficult"

Instead of just going for scorers, you have to go for scorers that also play physical which often leads to more PIM and there aren't a ton of those guys so it makes it more interesting

Yeah, I agree it adds a wrinkle to it. It's more just the logic behind the whole thing. Imagine Football leagues gave Defense/ST bonus points for pass interference and roughing the kicker calls. haha. It just doesn't make sense.

I haven't looked into the settings of leagues yet, but I think the PIM could be eliminated if more defensive stats were permitted (shots blocked, takeaways). I would also love if, like the aforementioned football option, you could choose an entire team for their PK/PP%. I realize a 16 team league doesn't work as well in the NHL as it can with the NFL. But, it's a dynamic that is worth exploring.

I think a big problem with fantasy hockey is that you have 4 defensemen and yet their offensive stats are paramount. Worst case you pick a dman that has little point production but at least keeps a formidable +/- (or PIM for that matter).

Maybe I'm just too haaadcaww. haha

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Yeah, I agree it adds a wrinkle to it. It's more just the logic behind the whole thing. Imagine Football leagues gave Defense/ST bonus points for pass interference and roughing the kicker calls. haha. It just doesn't make sense.

I haven't looked into the settings of leagues yet, but I think the PIM could be eliminated if more defensive stats were permitted (shots blocked, takeaways). I would also love if, like the aforementioned football option, you could choose an entire team for their PK/PP%. I realize a 16 team league doesn't work as well in the NHL as it can with the NFL. But, it's a dynamic that is worth exploring.

I think a big problem with fantasy hockey is that you have 4 defensemen and yet their offensive stats are paramount. Worst case you pick a dman that has little point production but at least keeps a formidable +/- (or PIM for that matter).

Wish I knew all of this before making my draft picks.:( Didn't do my research.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Absolutely agree and it would allow for dmen other than, as you said, just put points up

Some of those stats would also make it more challenging and interesting because you have to look for more all-around dmen than just the offensive type

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
Willing to trade Patrick Kane or Taylor Hall for a Goalie in the top 100 O-Rank.

Last edited:

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Willing to trade Patrick Kane or Taylor Hall for a Goalie in the top 100 O-Rank.

Um, yes, as much as I wanted to be among the two-goalie teams, I would give you Steve Mason (O-Rank 55) for your choice of Kane or Hall.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
So does the whole roster except bench get points. Or is it just four players we have to choose each week to represent? This league has a lot of different rules than the ones I participated in.

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
Um, yes, as much as I wanted to be among the two-goalie teams, I would give you Steve Mason (O-Rank 55) for your choice of Kane or Hall.

Henrique Iglesias sent me an offer for Hall. Thank you for the offer though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad