Confirmed Trade: [NJ/CBJ] Kyle Quincey for Dalton Prout

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
They should have got a pick in return.

Eh, I'm not going to crap on it for not getting another 5th or 6th. It just doesn't matter enough. If this was a better player than I can see the argument. They clearly saw the value in picking up an exposable D-Man to protect someone else.

We were dealing waiver wire pickups that cost us nothing. When you have little of value, you dont get much of value back.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
We're not making the playoffs, so its clearly a. Ray doing Quincey a solid by shipping him to a playoff team with little regard for the return b. Expansion draft positioning.

Its easy to crap all over, but its not like Quincey was going to bring back a king's ransom.

Prout is certainly no kings ransom. Think of it this way. If he were a donut, you would have preferred the hole because that way you got nothing. Instead NJ gets the dounut which means eating another year of his contract.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Shmevs hoping to get a guy to cheap shot Rangers to make their season worthwhile.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
There is never big winners in this kind of deals but Columbus won this.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:biglaugh:Trading for Kyle Quincy and calling it a steal:biglaugh:

When it's for Dalton Prout, you bet it's a steal.

Imagine a deal in which the Rangers pick up David Clarkson... in exchange for Dan Girardi and Tanner Glass. Would your followup comment be ":biglaugh: Trading for David Clarkson and calling it a steal :biglaugh:"?

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Prout is certainly no kings ransom. Think of it this way. If he were a donut, you would have preferred the hole because that way you got nothing. Instead NJ gets the dounut which means eating another year of his contract.

A contract of virtually no significance. If adding Prout allows us to protect Jon Merrill (which I believe was the impetus of this move) and giving Quincey a shot at the playoffs, I'm fine with that.

It's hard to get too bent out of shape about Prout considering our current situation. We got Quincey for nothing. Yeah, a pick would've looked better, but Prout's contract is negligible. He will be exposed and if we are able to get a better player he can be waived or bought out or sit. It'd be another story if he was due significant money. Not gaining another late pick is literally who cares.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Quincey has a decent shot but has been terrible at passing this season and he is a poor skater.

Good guy, I wish him well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A contract of virtually no significance. If adding Prout allows us to protect Jon Merrill (which I believe was the impetus of this move) and giving Quincey a shot at the playoffs, I'm fine with that.

That should work. Prout did have 64 games last year and 15 this year, so he meets the exposure requirements. Makes the move make a lot more sense, too, if it has more to do with keeping Merrill.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Except the Devils don't really need another defenseman to expose. They're probably only going to protect one of Lovejoy, Moore, or Merrill as it is, leaving the other two exposed.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I seriously doubt Vegas takes Prout from us. Not that they're going to have so many options but I doubt it's him. My guess (hope) is they take Cammy to help them reach the floor for a couple of years.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Umm...have you looked at the standings recently? :shakehead

Rest of the post I agree with.

Yes, I have seen the recent standings. I'm just one of those guys that's seen multiple teams, in multiple leagues, blow sure playoff spots in quick fashion. Then, they're left wondering what went wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the Jackets make it. They've got a really good team that could go far this year. I just don't lock anyone in the playoffs, until they're locked in the playoffs.

That said, good luck Jackets! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad