Speculation: NJ Appeal?

dulrich19

Oct 28, 2013
I know Lou had the opportunity to give up a first round pick in previous years, but since Kovalchuk left is there any possibility of the devils appealing the forfeiture? Someone has probably already brought this up, but I figured I'd ask. I be surprised if new ownership doesnt atleast try and regain our first this year.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Lou had a golden opportunity to forfeit the 2nd to last pick in the same year we happend to play for the Cup and he decided otherwise.

The entire fanbase would've accepted to forfeit the 29th overall pick after what our team gave us that year. Now, we're looking at a horrendous start and we're a serious injury away (Schneider) from possibly having to forfeit a top #3 pick.

I can tell you right now that Bettman is probably wishing for us to crumble like a cookie so he can have the joy of calling us out, in Philly no less.

Stain on Lou and no one else.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
doesnt matter where we finish if we are a lottery team. Bettman will have us win the lottery to send a message

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Well it would be a nice gesture from the league, it won't happen. Lou and company have had 4 years to forfeit the pick, one of those included a 29th overall selection, and they waited until the final year. Just because we're doing poorly and Kovalchuk is gone, doesn't mean the League will give us our pick back. While management might try, and I doubt they will, the league will mostly likely decline.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
I still believe Lou will make an attempt to have the league reverse the penalty. Doubt it will be successful but you just never know with Lou.

tsipka

Oct 3, 2008
Some one in the media should ask Lou and or Bettman about not having a first round pick. Considering their start, you would think it would be brought up more by reporters.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Some one in the media should ask Lou and or Bettman about not having a first round pick. Considering their start, you would think it would be brought up more by reporters.

We're the Devils. Not the Habs, Leafs, Rags, Red Wings, or Blackhawks.

The league forgets we exist until playoff time. When they're all like "well how in the world did NJ make it here again. Must be the trap. They'll be swept no worries."

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Too many ********* owners like Boston's would have a cow if we got that pick gone, I wouldn't put it past Lou to have a trick up his sleeve but I fear we have little to no chance getting it back, even so we should since it was never fair for us to lose it in the first place.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
“One (issue) is not related to the other,†Daly said of the league’s punishment and Kovalchuk’s retirement.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/..._devils_in_shock_after_retiring_from_nhl.html

Here is your answer.

Except that came out before the Senators admitted to doing the same thing (well Alfie).

I think what everyone forgets it's not the act itself that got Lou in trouble. That wasn't it at all. It was widely known that Lou was going to offer Kovy a ridiculous contract and it was widely known around the league that Kovy would likely retire a lot earlier to go play in the KHL (though no one anticipated 2013, though now that I think about it maybe Lou did after all considering the structure of the contract).

What got Lou in trouble was that the league found out about the contract and told Lou he couldn't do it. Lou said, "oh yea, well watch me." He introduced Kovy as a NJ Devil, had all the beat writers report it, took picture in front of Championship Plaza, had Kovy sign autographs, and by the time Bettman got wind of it it was too late. The Devils effectively tied Kovy's hands (he wasn't going anywhere after that, it would have been a joke), defied the league, and tied the league's hands as well.

He was punished for not heading the warning - not for the contract itself. This is why it's hard for me to blame the NHL. Lou thought he was above the league. Yes, I know, other contracts were out there that were just as bad as Kovy in certain respects. But the league warned Lou.

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford
Its so hypocritical of the league to punish the Devils and then let the rest of the league do the exact same thing to the point where it locked out the league. We aren't going to get it back. The NHL is loving that we ultimately got screwed.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Too many ********* owners like Boston's would have a cow if we got that pick gone, I wouldn't put it past Lou to have a trick up his sleeve but I fear we have little to no chance getting it back, even so we should since it was never fair for us to lose it in the first place.

Would you blame them? The fact of the matter is Lou could, theoretically, recoup a pick and recoup Kovalchuk all in one. You guys do realize this right?

Let's say the league accepts the Devils pity appeal and the Devils retain their pick. Let's say Lou works some magic, tries to toss the Sens into this mess (which isn't a Lou thing to do), finds other comparable contracts, argues vehemently and wins.

Now fast forward to next year. Kovalchuk's mom passes/gets better. He apologizes to the entire NHL. Says he'll come back to the NHL and will only play for the Devils to honor his commitment. Lou, with the clout he has around the league, would quite easily convince the other GMs in this league to let him come back. And if not, worst case, he comes back at an age where other stars still perform?

So the Devils can potentially get - 1) out of that horrid contract, 2) a top 5 pick, 3) and Ilya Kovalchuk.

No one is going to help Lou or the Devils. The entire Kovalchuk situation was shady. It looks shady. Step back and look at the structure of that contract. You're going to tell me Lou didn't know he was leaving? You're going to tell me that it's just a coincidence we avoided major penalties?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Its so hypocritical of the league to punish the Devils and then let the rest of the league do the exact same thing to the point where it locked out the league. We aren't going to get it back. The NHL is loving that we ultimately got screwed.

Again. The league warned Lou. The league told Lou he took it too far with that contract and Lou did it anyway. They didn't punish him immediately. I would agree with you if the latter was true but it's not.

This was a bold move by Lou and it worked and backfired at the same time. He prevented Kovy from going anywhere else (press conference before official signing) yet gave away our first round pick (ignoring the league's warning).

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford
Again. The league warned Lou. The league told Lou he took it too far with that contract and Lou did it anyway. They didn't punish him immediately. I would agree with you if the latter was true but it's not.

This was a bold move by Lou and it worked and backfired at the same time. He prevented Kovy from going anywhere else (press conference before official signing) yet gave away our first round pick (ignoring the league's warning).

I was typing out my post as your were posting the one before this. But I see that it wasn't the contract but Lou thinking he was above the league. Also Lou should have gotten rid of pick in one of the last 4 years. I think my avatar explains my view of the whole situation.

EDIT: I wanted to add I think the whole Kovalchuk situation wasn't so much a Lou thing but a Vanderbeek thing. Doesn't seem like Lou would have been the mastermind but Vanderbeek. But thats just me.

Last edited:

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I was typing out my post as your were posting the one before this. But I see that it wasn't the contract but Lou thinking he was above the league. Also Lou should have gotten rid of pick in one of the last 4 years. I think my avatar explains my view of the whole situation.

Yup. I honestly can't blame Lou for doing that either. Kovalchuk was very seriously considering LA. The massive deal the Devils offered him + what I'm guessing was an agreement to let him void his deal when he decided to retire is what did it. And obviously the second part of my statement is all speculation but I sincerely believe that Lou knew Kovy would walk far before we even anticipated it. That breakup was far too cordial, far too polite, and far too easy for this to not have been coordinated far in advance. Let's be real here.

Even for Lou, the consummate professional, has he not spoken bluntly and honestly about things that he's not happy with before? This man paid his respects to Kovy and wished him luck! He could have tolled the contract, forced Kovy to stay here (and he would have, he's about his money) but he let him walk - untouched. "Go play in the KHL, go play in the Olympics, go make more money."

There is more to this story than any of us know. And we may never find out just how far Lou went to keep Kovy in NJ.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Would you blame them? The fact of the matter is Lou could, theoretically, recoup a pick and recoup Kovalchuk all in one. You guys do realize this right?

Let's say the league accepts the Devils pity appeal and the Devils retain their pick. Let's say Lou works some magic, tries to toss the Sens into this mess (which isn't a Lou thing to do), finds other comparable contracts, argues vehemently and wins.

Now fast forward to next year. Kovalchuk's mom passes/gets better. He apologizes to the entire NHL. Says he'll come back to the NHL and will only play for the Devils to honor his commitment. Lou, with the clout he has around the league, would quite easily convince the other GMs in this league to let him come back. And if not, worst case, he comes back at an age where other stars still perform?

So the Devils can potentially get - 1) out of that horrid contract, 2) a top 5 pick, 3) and Ilya Kovalchuk.

No one is going to help Lou or the Devils. The entire Kovalchuk situation was shady. It looks shady. Step back and look at the structure of that contract. You're going to tell me Lou didn't know he was leaving? You're going to tell me that it's just a coincidence we avoided major penalties?

Dude, who are you arguing with?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Dude, who are you arguing with?

Who's arguing? I just don't think people realize the motivation behind the penalty. (Judging by your "it wasn't fair" comment that includes you too but I'm not referring to you specifically. I just happened to reply to a portion of your post.)

In general the impression I get from this thread is "oh man, no fair!" Well, it's actually a pretty fair punishment. The Senators weren't warned. The league didn't know. The Devils were warned. The league was aware of the contract. Lou said, **** you.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Is it worth it though? I mean the draft isn't going to be very deep according to analysts. Ryder is signed through next year and unless Lou is going to make a super splash on the big free agents, we need him. Any team that would want Jagr is a contender and we'll be able to get a pick in the 20s.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I still have a feeling that SOMETHING happens with the pick. The penalty gets changed to a lesser round (2nd), gets pushed back a year or two, etc.

Not saying I expect it but I just have a feeling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad