Player Discussion Nino "El Nino" Niederreiter II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I was just kind of browsing the Islanders board this morning checking to see if they've been talking about Nino lately and what their general feeling is about him today. Sounds like they've stopped blaming Nino for how he left and have started blaming the coaching staff and management. I think the lack of development in a lot of their more recent 1st round picks (Strome, Reinhart, Nelson) has changed some minds on Nino's clash with managment and his reasons for wanting to move on.

Looking back, that was an incredibly savvy move by Fletcher to snatch up Nino at what was probably his rock bottom value for Clutterbuck and a 3rd. I'd say it more than made up for us not having our 1st rounder that year.

Ya, that started to flip last year when they started to jerk around Strome.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nino is finally getting extended PP TOI due to his improved ability to hold onto the puck and make good passes. He always had a shot and was a net front presence. Zucker doesn't get much PP TOI because he has historically been most effective in the open ice, rather than in a structured, inside the Blue line game. He is improving his "small game" though - I credit Gruntle- and can see a time when he might be on the 2nd PP unit.

Coyle is sort of the odd man out right now, but that's a recent development. I'm pretty sure he's playing hurt. He was great earlier in the year.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I really need to get a Nino jersey to go along with my Heater jersey. He's been my favorite player for years now

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
On pace for 27 goals, 60 points!
He pushes every line a step forward, no matter the linemates.

Meanwhile Cal Clutterbuck has scored 3 goals this year, fair trade that.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Fun fact:
18 of his 21 assists are 1st assists.
3rd in the league regarding 1st assists at even strength.
He leads the league in first assists per ice time, followed by Zucker, Granlund, McDavid (5v5).

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Nino been terrific this season. He's been a slumpdestroyer.

So true. But it is because he has great work ethic, seems like its contagious with his line mates.. When he is playing confident I feel like hes our best forward.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I love that he is such a pest, giving lie to " Minnesota nice", and " Swiss neutrality". You can tell that players on other teams despise him.

Dijay

May 10, 2013
you guys have an idea why Nino play less than 15 min a night?
Something like tired because of his dynamic game?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

He plays on the left wing on the 2nd line and gets PP time with the top unit... but gets next to zero pk time.

Zach eats into his time both 5 on 5 and on the pk.

Zucker playing the left side on the top line also limits some of his chances 5 on 5, but he gets pp time over Zucker.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Wild have been able to run the top-9 at ~14+ minutes, and the 4th line at ~9 minutes pretty consistently lately. No need to run your players into the ground with the FWD depth the Wild have.

Special teams play separates the ToI quite a bit. Nino doesn't PK, and is on the 2nd PP unit (Koivu's). OT games also throw ToI into flux.

Zucker has less ToI (~10 seconds) than Nino for season averages.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wild have been able to run the top-9 at ~14+ minutes, and the 4th line at ~9 minutes pretty consistently lately. No need to run your players into the ground with the FWD depth the Wild have.

Special teams play separates the ToI quite a bit. Nino doesn't PK, and is on the 2nd PP unit (Koivu's). OT games also throw ToI into flux.

Zucker has less ToI (~10 seconds) than Nino for season averages.
I think it's pretty safe to call them the 1st unit these days. They may have started out as the 2nd unit, but they took over the top unit mantel quite some time ago.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think it's pretty safe to call them the 1st unit these days. They may have started out as the 2nd unit, but they took over the top unit mantel quite some time ago.

Was going with PP ToI as the deciding factor: Staal @ 3:12, Koivu @ 1:45. Not disagreeing that Koivu's is the more dangerous PP unit.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Was going with PP ToI as the deciding factor: Staal @ 3:12, Koivu @ 1:45. Not disagreeing that Koivu's is the more dangerous PP unit.

It varies from night to night and the timing of when the penalties happen etc.

Avg PP icetime stats...

Staal - 2:21
Koivu - 2:10

Pretty even on avg.

Staal's unit was the first unit at the start of the season and through most of December... since late December til now, I'd say it's been the Koivu unit getting the nod if all things are equal.

Last edited:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Is it safe to say that Nino has become the team's best goal scorer? (over Parise)

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005
Hey wild fans.

Always been a Nino fan.

Looks like he's finally developing into the player he was projected to be.

He's having his break out season, but what do you guys think his ceiling can be?

Is he a 25g 25a guy? Or can you see a consistent 30g 40a guy?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
25/25 guy. Might have a season or two of 60 points. His defensive game has gotten much better, which is huge. Still doesn't see PK time, though. Plays big.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
I see Nino as a solid 25+ goals/assists guy, whos playing contributes so much more things that benefit the teams overall play :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad