Player Discussion Nino "El Nino" Niederreiter II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Seems like that is about what he'll get, AAV-wise. Sure hope the cap goes up.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Any insight on why Haula's between them now instead of Staal. The line's been good (obviously) but I thought the Staal, Coyle, Nino line was about the best line we've ever had.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Any insight on why Haula's between them now instead of Staal. The line's been good (obviously) but I thought the Staal, Coyle, Nino line was about the best line we've ever had.

I think BB wanted to get Parise going, and felt that Staal would be a better match than Haula for him. Also probably wanted to spread out the size. Koivu, Staal, Nino, Coyle are our big boys on the top 9. Putting 3 of them on one line is a luxury.

Also, i think Haula plays well with Nino, or at least doesn't get in his way.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

To try pick up Parise's game essentially. Seems to be working as well.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
each year nino seems to get a smidge better which i really like. i know most would say dubnyk was gmcf's best trade but im still a fan of the clutterbuck for nino trade as being my fav.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I think BB wanted to get Parise going, and felt that Staal would be a better match than Haula for him. Also probably wanted to spread out the size. Koivu, Staal, Nino, Coyle are our big boys on the top 9. Putting 3 of them on one line is a luxury.

Makes sense. Probably better overall... but I sure do miss watching that line cycle!

Goose312

May 15, 2015

Is there a player that doesn't play well with Nino? I think the the Koivu/Granlund/Zucker line is the first line in the last 3 seasons that's been "hot" without including Nino.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
17 5-on-5 points (tied for 12th in the league along with Zucker), and he's 5th on our team for 5-on-5 TOI. He should be getting the top 5-on-5 minutes on our team in my opinion.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
This. And now Clutterbuck is set to make the same amount of money per year as Staal. :laugh:

Let's think about that for a second. Fletcher essentially turned Clutterbuck into Nino and Staal. (Little indirect but..)

And a 3rd for Dubnyk.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Is there a player that doesn't play well with Nino? I think the the Koivu/Granlund/Zucker line is the first line in the last 3 seasons that's been "hot" without including Nino.

For me the reasoning in Nino-Haula-Coyle is that Haula had the highest goals for/goals against over time from last season with a margin. If we could just get Haula going again...

(another reason I support Nino-Haula-X is that I'm a haula fanboy :yo: )

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula is doing fine. If he played with Coyle and Nino full time I think he'd get 35-40 points. Not mind blowing, but his defense is so good that he allows the others to cheat on offense/ the forecheck a little bit, which should produce even more goals.

I'm kind of worried that if his stats get too good we won't be able to re-sign him. If he ends up with 25-30 points this year, he'd be within his rights to ask for a 4yr./13M contract.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Haula is doing fine. If he played with Coyle and Nino full time I think he'd get 35-40 points. Not mind blowing, but his defense is so good that he allows the others to cheat on offense/ the forecheck a little bit, which should produce even more goals.

I'm kind of worried that if his stats get too good we won't be able to re-sign him. If he ends up with 25-30 points this year, he'd be within his rights to ask for a 4yr./13M contract.

Can't bring everyone back all the time I guess. With how close Eriksson Ek was to making the team this year, I don't know if there's a spot for Haula next year anyways; and we might need the $1.5m to $2m in extra space. Vegas might overpay a bit for a good, prime-aged, middle 6 center.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can't bring everyone back all the time I guess. With how close Eriksson Ek was to making the team this year, I don't know if there's a spot for Haula next year anyways; and we might need the $1.5m to $2m in extra space. Vegas might overpay a bit for a good, prime-aged, middle 6 center.

If it's only 1.5-2M they have to bring him back, even if he plays wing or 4th line C.

I'm thinking we might have to lose a Dman not called Dumba just because of salaries...Dumba having the least cap hit by quite a bit. In other words, trading Scandella vs. Dumba means that we can offer Haula a contract of some sort...maybe.

Maybe I am overvaluing Haula, but he seems to do a lot of underappreciated things for this team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If it's only 1.5-2M they have to bring him back, even if he plays wing or 4th line C.

I'm thinking we might have to lose a Dman not called Dumba just because of salaries...Dumba having the least cap hit by quite a bit. In other words, trading Scandella vs. Dumba means that we can offer Haula a contract of some sort...maybe.

Maybe I am overvaluing Haula, but he seems to do a lot of underappreciated things for this team.

The $1.5-$2M was the difference between what Haula will probably get ($2.5-$3M per) and what Eriksson Ek makes, not what Haula would sign for.

I think he might be the right player to move. I like him a lot, and as a 7th round pick he's been fantastic, but we have an internal replacement and there should be a pretty good market for a speedy #3C that is very good defensively and can chip in some offense. I'll go back to Vegas again, because I think the center position is going to be pretty weak for them to select from and they are probably going to be pretty flush with picks. I think it's possible that we could squeeze a couple pretty good assets out of them.

I think you're right about the money though; we can't give Nino ~5, Granlund ~4 and Haula ~3 with only a $2m player (Zucker, Dumba) leaving. Something else would have to happen.

As an organization, I think we are best equipped to handle a loss at LD (which would be Scandella and his $4m) and, surprisingly, C (which would be Haula and his next contract of $2.5m - $3m).

Last edited:

Goose312

May 15, 2015
So he is basically a first line player for us then? Or do you mean he is in the bottom 5?

Believe it was meant to be 5th among forwards. Granlund, Koivu, Staal, Coyle all have more in total, and Parise has more per game.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
If you've heard before the season that Nino and Granny are tied in points after the first 3rd.. which one would've sounded like a disappointment? I don't really know, but I'm perfectly happy how things are right now :D

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If you've heard before the season that Nino and Granny are tied in points after the first 3rd.. which one would've sounded like a disappointment? I don't really know, but I'm perfectly happy how things are right now :D

Before the season it would have been Nino matching Granny's points. I had Granny at ~35p for the season.

Granny matching Nino's points I would have been happy (like I am now). Think I had Nino in the 50-60p range.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Before the season it would have been Nino matching Granny's points. I had Granny at ~35p for the season.

Granny matching Nino's points I would have been happy (like I am now). Think I had Nino in the 50-60p range.

Wow that's a negative reach. I had him cracking 60 pts possibly at 65 pt while leading the team in scoring. Still sticking to that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wow that's a negative reach. I had him cracking 60 pts possibly at 65 pt while leading the team in scoring. Still sticking to that.

I didn't think he'd be a good fit in BB's system, changing positions, get little PP time.

Guessed it would be a Granny/Koivu/RW not named Coyle as his line. Prior to the season he was averse to shooting the puck, Koivu has been averse to shooting the puck, and RW depth is lacking a scorer. :dunno:

I'm glad he's not shooting as a final resort this year. Zucker playing like he has helps a lot. I didn't doubt his playmaking ability, doubted he would have anyone to finish (no pun intended).

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I didn't think he'd be a good fit in BB's system, changing positions, get little PP time.

Guessed it would be a Granny/Koivu/RW not named Coyle as his line. Prior to the season he was averse to shooting the puck, Koivu has been averse to shooting the puck, and RW depth is lacking a scorer. :dunno:

I'm glad he's not shooting as a final resort this year. Zucker playing like he has helps a lot. I didn't doubt his playmaking ability, doubted he would have anyone to finish (no pun intended).

Granlund shot the puck more last year and this year he's shooting it at the rates he did the rest of his career. Other than last year he's also been a 40 point scorer in 60 games without much PP time which is 55 points per 82. I'm not sure why you would think that Granlund wouldn't get PP time either.

35 points over a full season would be projecting Granlund to have a much worse season than he has ever had in the NHL even in a down year like 2015-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad