Player Discussion: Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It would be interesting to see if he can hit next levels. I think he is passing the first test currently where he is looking like he fits and is getting more comfortable. Second test is can he be carried by a strong partner to positive possession results in a top 4 role? Lastly can he eventually play in the top 4 and carry his own water to positive possession results?

I am mindful of how hard it is to get good possession results on a bad team at his age-stage, think Neil Pionk last season in Nee York vs this season.

I am satisfied with the early returns but want him to start climbing the ladder possession wise next season as (if) our D core begins to stabilize.
Of course the next level after that is carrying someone else who isn't as strong.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Could Heinola be a good partner for him next season?

JMo-Pionk
Heinola-Niku
Kulikov-Poolman

I see that some peeps want Samberg up and Kulikov gone. I get it, I just think Kulikov on a cheap 1 year contract would allow Samberg to get a pro season under his belt.

Reactions: boydkc

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Could Heinola be a good partner for him next season?

JMo-Pionk
Heinola-Niku
Kulikov-Poolman

I see that some peeps want Samberg up and Kulikov gone. I get it, I just think Kulikov on a cheap 1 year contract would allow Samberg to get a pro season under his belt.

Tonight he took a penalty after a turnover that led to the momentum completely shifting in the game. He had a shift with Boo Boo where they gave up a grade A scoring chance giving up the middle of the ice. Kulikov has helped him and he still needs a d partner to carry him. He has shown some offensive capability, but is still usually 6th among defensemen in minutes, having neither the advantage of special teams minutes, nor Maurice's confidence to play in tight games. When I look at a lineup like yours, I see a worse PK than this year's formation. Pionk is not good on the PK, but he has some offensive punch. Niku has never had regular reps on the PK. Heinola neither. And Kulikov isn't that good on the PK either. So that leaves Morrissey and Poooman.

I am looking at something like

Morrissey-Hamonic
Samberg-Pionk
Niku-Poolman
Morrissey and Hamonic as the 1st PK unit
Samberg-Poolman as the 2nd.

Heinola starting on the Moose, paired with Kovacevic, working his way up. I just can not see our team sustaining a glut of offensive players, without any defensive role players. No team is built like that.

Reactions: TS Quint and hn777

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
How unfortunate that Niku was injured for the first while. He's just settling in now and looking like a massive boost to the d. I dare say, with everyone healthy this could be a passable D. I would also partner him with Poolman. Mind you.....no team ever has a 100% healthy d.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Tonight he took a penalty after a turnover that led to the momentum completely shifting in the game. He had a shift with Boo Boo where they gave up a grade A scoring chance giving up the middle of the ice. Kulikov has helped him and he still needs a d partner to carry him. He has shown some offensive capability, but is still usually 6th among defensemen in minutes, having neither the advantage of special teams minutes, nor Maurice's confidence to play in tight games. When I look at a lineup like yours, I see a worse PK than this year's formation. Pionk is not good on the PK, but he has some offensive punch. Niku has never had regular reps on the PK. Heinola neither. And Kulikov isn't that good on the PK either. So that leaves Morrissey and Poooman.

I am looking at something like

Morrissey-Hamonic
Samberg-Pionk
Niku-Poolman
Morrissey and Hamonic as the 1st PK unit
Samberg-Poolman as the 2nd.

Heinola starting on the Moose, paired with Kovacevic, working his way up. I just can not see our team sustaining a glut of offensive players, without any defensive role players. No team is built like that.

I wouldn't mind a Hamonic type player to play with JoMo but I'm not sure at this stage in his career that he can play that top pairing shutdown role. Any other similar type players out there?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Maybe his best game as a Jet today. Making passes, taking shots, using his body positioning and stick to break up plays at the line and take guys wide, and routinely winning races to the puck -- the odd blowout in the corner no big deal given the numbers of guys falling all over the rink. Getting there.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Niku has been so Great this season is is worst of all defenseman with an unbelievably horrible Corsi of 41.7%....he also happens to have an unbelievably bad 41.6% GF%.

granted 14 games is a small sample size so let expand it to include last year as well.

he still has an unbelievably bad 43.1% Corsi and really bad 47.5% GF%.

If we picked Niku up off waivers this season there would be non stop complaining about how he sucks and the jets pro scouts don’t know how to judge a defenseman.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Niku has been so Great this season is is worst of all defenseman with an unbelievably horrible Corsi of 41.7%....he also happens to have an unbelievably bad 41.6% GF%.

granted 14 games is a small sample size so let expand it to include last year as well.

If we picked Niku up off waivers this season there would be non stop complaining about how he sucks and the jets pro scouts don’t know how to judge a defenseman.
I think I’ll bookmark this for future reference. Niku is just finding his place on the team and figuring out the game on the NHL level. The only way to do that is to play in the NHL, and he’s getting better each game. He’s got the biggest upside of all our defensemen when it comes to moving the puck and serving our forwards the puck in full flight.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

What an incredibly narrow minded post. He’s been good the last 4-5 games, anyone can see that.....well, almost anyone I guess.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Uhhhh... ok... :huh:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think I’ll bookmark this for future reference. Niku is just finding his place on the team and figuring out the game on the NHL level. The only way to do that is to play in the NHL, and he’s getting better each game. He’s got the biggest upside of all our defensemen when it comes to moving the puck and serving our forwards the puck in full flight.

He is a very good puck mover - and that should only improve as he brings his game up to the NHL speed. He's also good on the offensive blueline - makes smart choices and he's very creative.
He has more work to do without the puck - he'll need to work on either being stronger on the man and puck - or - being a little quicker and getting better with his stick - I'd think it'll be the later - he has the skill and the speed will come when he's less tentative and more comfortable opening up his game.

Keep playing him.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He is a very good puck mover - and that should only improve as he brings his game up to the NHL speed. He's also good on the offensive blueline - makes smart choices and he's very creative.
He has more work to do without the puck - he'll need to work on either being stronger on the man and puck - or - being a little quicker and getting better with his stick - I'd think it'll be the later - he has the skill and the speed will come when he's less tentative and more comfortable opening up his game.

Keep playing him.
True, seeing the improvement already in those areas. His gap, body position and stick have all been better. He showed some really good poise a few times yesterday, not forcing the puck up the wall and reversing it instead, delayed with it a couple times as well. Having another D who can outskate the forecheck is a huge plus for the team.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Niku, heinola, samberg + trade/fa, we really arent in too bad of a spot right now.
I'm not quite that optimistic yet. They are all unproven to varying degrees. Niku has a lot of improving to do, himself, and he's the "veteran" of the group. It may take a few years for that group of three (IF it does turn out to be them) to develop into dependable NHLers. I'm starting to lose hope in Logan Stanley, but next year will be the most crucial in his career. Meanwhile, a darkhorse continues to be Declan Chishom, who currently has 11 goals and a total of 60 points in 52 games (good for third among defensemen in the OHL).

Last edited:
Reactions: TS Quint

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Having watched him live for two games I have been really impressed with his game. The outlet passes have been crisp, his game is calm, and he’s been quite strong at fighting off forwards in front of the net. He’ll be a beauty once he gets some more games under his belt.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not quite that optimistic yet. They are all unproven to varying degrees. Niku has a lot of improving to do, himself, and he's the "veteran" of the group. It may take a few years for that group of three (IF it does turn out to be them) to develop into dependable NHLers. I'm starting to lose hope in Logan Stanley, but next year will be the most crucial in his career. Meanwhile, a darkhorse continues to be Declan Chishom, who currently has 11 goals and a total of 60 points in 52 games (good for third among defensemen in the OHL).

Chisholm has exploded in both his D+1 and D+2 seasons. Next step for him will be the Moose next season and hopefully that goes well.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I feel pretty good about Niku over the last 5 to 6 games. I think it is obvious that he is starting to finally get comfortable. He only needs experience and confidence. I'm confident he is a dangerous top-4 offensive defenseman at this time of the year in one year and the league is going to start recognizing him for it.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I feel pretty good about Niku over the last 5 to 6 games. I think it is obvious that he is starting to finally get comfortable. He only needs experience and confidence. I'm confident he is a dangerous top-4 offensive defenseman at this time of the year in one year and the league is going to start recognizing him for it.
It's unfortunate that he doesn't have 100+ games under his belt already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad