Player Discussion: Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good luck mr Flow. There are 35 games between now and the end of the regular season and my number 2 wish is that you solidify yourself as an obvious NHL defensman and look like you belong in the top 4 most nights.

If we could check the box of you being a top 4 option without plugging our nose then that would be right up there with the Pionk positive surprise for me this season.

May you stay healthy and get mildly overplayed.

Last edited:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I see what you did there...

Suppose the decision was left up to you and you had two options: Ice the lineup with the maximum chance of victories, or, Play Niku as much as possible in a variety of positions to fully evaluate his development.

You only get one choice: which option would you take?
@Silver Moose
I choose yes.

Playing Niku as a regular is best for his development and I think it's more likely to get us wins this season than playing whichever of Bitetto, Sbisa and Dahlstrom is lost in the process.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wasn't able to watch the entirety of the Vancouver game, but seems like he had a nice game. Going to the game tonight, hopefully he keeps it up

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Good luck mr Flow. There are 35 games between now and the end of the regular season and my number 2 wish is that you solidify yourself as an obvious NHL defensman and look like you belong in the top 4 most nights.

If we could check the box of you being a top 4 option without plugging our nose then that would be right up there with the Pionk positive surprise for me this season.

May to stay healthy and get mildly overplayed.

This would be such a huge development for the Jets..... Go Niku!

Reactions: ps241

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Anybody else like what they see lately? I sure do. Playing more with a good partner and with confidence. He is showing his strengths, let him continue to learn how to use his smarts in his own zone and polish that part of his game. He is showing that he has potential to play bigger minutes and hopefully he will be on our pp next year.
Jmo Pionk
Samberg Buff ufa replacement
Niku Poolman

Heinola is a stud but if he needs some time with moose next year to start year we look to have a nice group here.
Edit, and if Heinola is ready then Niku could be moved in a package to help our roster. Showcasing him is a win win.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Anybody else like what they see lately? I sure do. Playing more with a good partner and with confidence. He is showing his strengths, let him continue to learn how to use his smarts in his own zone and polish that part of his game. He is showing that he has potential to play bigger minutes and hopefully he will be on our pp next year.
Jmo Pionk
Samberg Buff ufa replacement
Niku Poolman

Heinola is a stud but if he needs some time with moose next year to start year we look to have a nice group here.
Edit, and if Heinola is ready then Niku could be moved in a package to help our roster. Showcasing him is a win win.
He’s been poised and effective. He moves the puck extremely well, is learning not to force things, being more selective when joining the rush, his gap has been quite a bit better and he’s tracking things behind his own blue line more consistently. He’s learning how to play his game in the NHL, like many of us wanted for him quite some time ago. He’a starting to understand what he can get away with and what he can’t, what works and what doesn’t. His stick along the wall has been a great tool for him, allows him to separate the puck from the man which makes up for his size. He’s a smart player and it’s starting to show more consistently. Playing with Kuli seems to help him, at the very least he’s a much more predictable and reliable partner. Kuli has actually been quite good since returning I’d have to say.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
He’s been poised and effective. He moves the puck extremely well, is learning not to force things, being more selective when joining the rush, his gap has been quite a bit better and he’s tracking things behind his own blue line more consistently. He’s learning how to play his game in the NHL, like many of us wanted for him quite some time ago. He’a starting to understand what he can get away with and what he can’t, what works and what doesn’t. His stick along the wall has been a great tool for him, allows him to separate the puck from the man which makes up for his size. He’s a smart player and it’s starting to show more consistently. Playing with Kuli seems to help him, at the very least he’s a much more predictable and reliable partner. Kuli has actually been quite good since returning I’d have to say.

This year should have been a time to let players like Niku and Heinola learn to play in the NHL.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Glad Niku is progressing and adapting. He is an important piece of the puzzle going into next season. If he and Samberg play functional roles we may be able to get away with adding one more established top 4 asset.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think he is developing well and making strides, but the underlying numbers would strongly suggest he doesn't rate out as a top 4 defenseman yet.

It would be interesting to see if he can hit next levels. I think he is passing the first test currently where he is looking like he fits and is getting more comfortable. Second test is can he be carried by a strong partner to positive possession results in a top 4 role? Lastly can he eventually play in the top 4 and carry his own water to positive possession results?

I am mindful of how hard it is to get good possession results on a bad team at his age-stage, think Neil Pionk last season in Nee York vs this season.

I am satisfied with the early returns but want him to start climbing the ladder possession wise next season as (if) our D core begins to stabilize.

Last edited:

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Kuli has been good. He does a good job of cutting off plays etc. He's probably are most physical D too. He has just been plagued by injuries unfortunately.

Reactions: hn777

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
He is doing ok but some of his reads when he is facing 3 on 2 and getting lost picking up his man in the defensive zone are still a work in progress . Too many on here just look for offence offence offence but you darn well need to be responsible defending . You know the defense part of defense man .

Reactions: hn777

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He looks like a top 3 here right now.
...not that the bar is set low or anything. However, I do recall him making some decent offensive plays a couple of games ago.

As a group, I'd still like our six-man unit to become bigger while still adding skill (Dahlstrom that means I don't include you). There's no problem with having a couple of small but skilled defensemen, but I don't give a beaver-built-water-container about the so-called "new" NHL, there's still body contact in this league, and there's still the need to out-muscle someone from time to time.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I think he is developing well and making strides, but the underlying numbers would strongly suggest he doesn't rate out as a top 4 defenseman yet.
He just needs time. Not that there might not be setbacks at times but it takes NHL minutes to make NHL defensemen. By the time the Jets are heading into the playoffs next year he's going to be looking good and still improving.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
It would be interesting to see if he can hit next levels. I think he is passing the first test currently where he is looking like he fits and is getting more comfortable. Second test is can he be carried by a strong partner to positive possession results in a top 4 role? Lastly can he eventually play in the top 4 and carry his own water to positive possession results?

I am mindful of how hard it is to get good possession results on a bad team at his age-stage, think Neil Pionk last season in Nee York vs this season.

I am satisfied with the early returns but want him to start climbing the ladder possession wise next season as (if) our D core begins to stabilize.
It's been 12 games this year. I think we need to take it down 20% here. We can't be looking at game to game improvement. How's he improving 10/20/30 games from now. Not from yesterday to today.

This year he needs to show he has a path to being better. In a year let's hope he's a decent top 4. In another year let's hope he's a good/great top 4.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
His xGoals and Corsi numbers are really, really bad, but the team results have improved with him in the lineup.

Not sure what to make of that, but I want him playing 18 minutes per night every night. The Jets need to see what they have in him.

They need to add two top 4 D men before next season and there is a chance he could be one. Let's find out.

Hope for this season is over, so let him learn the NHL game.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
His xGoals and Corsi numbers are really, really bad, but the team results have improved with him in the lineup.

Not sure what to make of that, but I want him playing 18 minutes per night every night. The Jets need to see what they have in him.

They need to add two top 4 D men before next season and there is a chance he could be one. Let's find out.

Hope for this season is over, so let him learn the NHL game.
If you're looking at X goals and Corsi after 12 games on a developing player you might as well include +/- as a crucial stat in evaluating veteran player's play. It means very little.

The eye test at this point is far more important. Looking at what skills he has Vs other players and how and if those skills can contribute to his finished product. Right now he just trying to get his head around what he can get away with in the NHL vs AHL.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
If you're looking at X goals and Corsi after 12 games on a developing player you might as well include +/- as a crucial stat in evaluating veteran player's play. It means very little.

The eye test at this point is far more important. Looking at what skills he has Vs other players and how and if those skills can contribute to his finished product. Right now he just trying to get his head around what he can get away with in the NHL vs AHL.
I'm not implying that those values are meaningful. I'm saying I want him to play, regardless of the short run results.

Reactions: TS Quint

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I'm not implying that those values are meaningful. I'm saying I want him to play, regardless of the short run results.

I am hoping that’s an area we can all land on. Why not play the hell out of him down the stretch? It’s not like he is bumping out better long term options at this snap shot in time.

Run Sami run!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I really like this break down of development levels @ps241 and it sums up nicely how I try to look at it. And agreed Pionk in NY last season is probably a good development comparable.

Reactions: sipowicz and ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad