Player Discussion: Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They weren't good defensively. They were just conventional. Conventional thinking isn't going to win any cups in a tiny market like Winnipeg.

I agree, I've wanted a progressive coach for a while now but it's not happening in the near term so I'm trying not allow my views on the coach spoil the year for me.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Poolman/Beaulieu may not have been good defensively but to my eye they were definitely better than Niku defensively. My 'clench test' was way worse on Niku than it was on Poolman, I found myself clenching way more with the Niku on ice and the puck in the Jets zone than Poolman or even Beau. Stats bear that out as well.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I agree, I've wanted a progressive coach for a while now but it's not happening in the near term so I'm trying not allow my views on the coach spoil the year for me.
Yeah. Me too. I've had to suck it up every season in regards to PoMo. I hated the signing the day it happened.

This year we might be deep enough that PoMo won't be able to play dregs over futures. There aren't many spots for PoMo to screw young guys except for Ville. The rest of the young'ns aren't players I am overly high on e.g. Vesa, Gusta

Reactions: surixon

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Poolman/Beaulieu may not have been good defensively but to my eye they were definitely better than Niku defensively. My 'clench test' was way worse on Niku than it was on Poolman, I found myself clenching way more with the Niku on ice and the puck in the Jets zone than Poolman or even Beau. Stats bear that out as well.
They were probably better in coverage, but not very good and moving the puck forward and useless past the other blue line. I don't think Niku was very good most of the time, but he also was put in the worst spots for his talents. PoMo likes to do that to players he doesn't want to play/succeed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. If Chevy ever picked up a vet as bad as Niku was in his own zone, this place would lose itself.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yep, I agree. No chance of it happening soon, or perhaps ever. I'm avoiding the coaching threads and all PoMo pressers and interviews, and pinning on my hopes on new coaching blood like Dave Lowry and a team that should have enough talent and will to outplay most tactical or roster bottlenecks.

Reactions: surixon

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
"There’s also standards that you’d like players to meet. And you know, it was difficult for him"

Interesting tidbit in The Sun from Maurice regarding Niku's time here.

Reactions: Guardian17

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That's where I thought he'd go and it's honestly the best case scenario for him. Bergevin is kind of Moneyballing the Habs a bit, signing players and using them for their strengths, so he'll be allowed to play his game. Regardless if it works out or not I'm excited to see what he's capable of doing.

Reactions: FinJetster

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Hi jets fan. What can we expect from Sami Niku? Type of dman, role, wich pairiing. Thanks!

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Hi jets fan. What can we expect from Sami Niku? Type of dman, role, wich pairiing. Thanks!
Unknown. I'm not sure we ever got a fair view of what he can do at this level. I know Bergevin likes to let his players play to their strengths and Niku was never allowed to do that so I'm super interested in seeing him play with you guys. Very low risk two way contract, might yield a solid reward.

As for type of dman, great offensive IQ, awful in the defensive zone. His game is built to stay in the offensive zone and he's good at that. Holds the line well and steps up to intercept breakout passes a lot.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Bad defensively. And offensive and puck moving abilities doesnt out weight his shortcomings

I wonder what Lowry's charts would look like if he was told to stop playing defensively altogether because we're only going to judge him on his offensive abilities? Don't judge a fish by its ability to fly, don't judge a bird by its ability to swim.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Very soft player, ok offensively but horrible defensively & physically. He’s really at best a bottom pairing bad defensively puck moving D who is soft as butter. He needs major sheltering in any defensive situation, but if you want purely a PP 2nd pairing guy might help Habs in that role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad