Nikolay Goldobin

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'll repost the numbers and scouting reports I had from the draft thread over here for people who don't want to go searching that thread:

5ocjd4.jpg

Only thing i don't like about those stats is the -30 when it is put up with his 92 points and most even strength points in the chl. It means he was most likely also on the ice for the most goals scored against at even strength.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Why? Tuevo is really good.

Why are you worried? I'm pretty sure TT will be a stud for Chicago, so hopefully Goldobin will be one for us as well.

I'm being a bit sarcastic. But really, in hindsight, I'd take Hertl over TT again.

I should retract my comment tho, cuz it sounds like Goldy is closer to NHL ready than many? That's what I liked about Hertl. I'm not patient.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
He doesn't need to be a shutdown type, especially on the wing. All of our centers and most of the rest of our rosters (not to mention some center prospects like Tierney/Hamilton) are all extremely defensively responsible.

As has been said, if he can not be an absolute liability on the ice while bringing dynamic even strength vision and skill... he'll be fine.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I was cool with the Mueller pick. I just didn't like the trade-up to get him. I didn't like the trade-down here either but the pick I am cool with.

The GMs and Team are in a different position to us. They go into the draft with players they want to pick. Last year, IMO they had one player left on the board that THEY wanted in the first round. You make that happen. When you invest real life dollars and resources into scouting and you walk away from the first round of a draft with someone that "Some scouts liked, although ours didn't like them as much" it really is a big fail..

This year, IMO we had numerous players we liked left on the board at 20, so you can afford to strengthen other areas of your draft with the pick.

Mueller is still a sound pick.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
His status here is going to be more about his dedication to improving his defensive game more than bulking up. Bulking up will certainly help but if he doesn't get involved defensively and improve, he's not going to get the call. He probably won't ever be good enough to be a shutdown type of forward but he has to be at least average in order for this staff to put him on NHL ice.

Maybe in past years. This year is the Year of the Rookies -- I can definitely see them giving him a few games to get a feel for the NHL. I think that's part of the reason DW chose him -- he seems closer than others to making it in.

Anyway, defense can be taught! I'm excited about the slick hands, frankly. We barely have anyone like that.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I'm being a bit sarcastic. But really, in hindsight, I'd take Hertl over TT again.

I should retract my comment tho, cuz it sounds like Goldy is closer to NHL ready than many? That's what I liked about Hertl. I'm not patient.

I could see him getting 9 games here next season just to see how he looks.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Only thing i don't like about those stats is the -30 when it is put up with his 92 points and most even strength points in the chl. It means he was most likely also on the ice for the most goals scored against at even strength.

Well, every analyst I've heard since the pick added the caveat that Sarnia was truly putrid last year and that Goldobin and DeAngelo were literally their only good players. Combine that with DeAngelo being suspended a ton and there were long periods where Goldobin was carrying the team himself.

That to me makes his offensive numbers more impressive and makes me a little more forgiving on the +/- which is a crap stat anyways.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I could see him getting 9 games here next season just to see how he looks.

That's not a bad idea, but I doubt he lasts past then...he needs at least one year in the OHL still...maybe another year after that in the AHL as well?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Well, every analyst I've heard since the pick added the caveat that Sarnia was truly putrid last year and that Goldobin and DeAngelo were literally their only good players. Combine that with DeAngelo being suspended a ton and there were long periods where Goldobin was carrying the team himself.

That to me makes his offensive numbers more impressive and makes me a little more forgiving on the +/- which is a crap stat anyways.

Sarnia was awful this past season!

Both Goldobin and DeAngelo were on the ice a ton which leads to lots of GF and GA on a bad team in the OHL.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Sarnia was awful this past season!

Both Goldobin and DeAngelo were on the ice a ton which leads to lots of GF and GA on a bad team in the OHL.

Stalock -- always love reading your prospect thoughts. Excited that you're excited - any personal thoughts on Goldobin? Been consuming draft reports but curious to see what a Sharks fan who has seen him has to say.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
His status here is going to be more about his dedication to improving his defensive game more than bulking up. Bulking up will certainly help but if he doesn't get involved defensively and improve, he's not going to get the call. He probably won't ever be good enough to be a shutdown type of forward but he has to be at least average in order for this staff to put him on NHL ice.

Obviously the Sharks will want him to improve his 2-way game, but they drafted the kid knowing it was a weakness.

They took a chance and hopefully they accept the risk. Sometimes if you want a player to boom offensively you have to accept the defensive faults in their game.

The Sharks have more than their share of 2-way responsible forwards. If the kid can come in and handle the speed and size i would let him run wild.

As long as he is more of a threat to the other team than his own.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

The pick is not bad, i am not complaining about the pick or the player. Because he seems exactly like what i hoped for. He is not a safe pick by the sounds of it, he is a boom or bust type prospect. And to me that is exactly what the sharks need right now, someone that has potential to be a star. But the odds are about 50-50 of if he makes it to the nhl.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

I think he is still 1-2 years away...his defensive game and size needs work.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He **** the bed last year?

MarleauApologist can see into the future.:shakehead

Looking at the pick, I am reminded at how SJ fans were excited by Petrecki, Kaspar, etc....

I do wonder at DW's pick management. It seems like whenever he trades up, he gives up more than he needs to. And this time when he traded down, you felt he could have gotten more.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Goldobin just acknowledged he needs to work on his defensive game. Sounds like he has that good character that the Sharks like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad